Office of Vice President Duke (vote for The Truth: the new constitution)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 11:11:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Vice President Duke (vote for The Truth: the new constitution)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24
Author Topic: Office of Vice President Duke (vote for The Truth: the new constitution)  (Read 72288 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: September 22, 2011, 08:38:42 PM »

Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #251 on: September 22, 2011, 08:47:48 PM »

Does this mean you've decided to not pick me?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #252 on: September 22, 2011, 08:56:51 PM »

Does this mean you've decided to not pick me?

I am afraid so, Teddy. I sent your severance package in the mail along with a free burger from Five Guys!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #253 on: September 22, 2011, 11:42:09 PM »

I think it is time to kick this campaign into high gear. Over the next week, Cincinnatus and I will begin laying out our platform for this great nation in an attempt to bring those key undecided voters into our warm, loving arms. Wink

The topics we want to touch on include energy, economics, tax policy, foreign issues, and several other specific topics worth mentioning.

First, I know this is Atlasia, and while many people are not policy wonks (Lord knows I am not), this is the future we are talking about. I hope some of these proposals and ideas will be considered and implemented, whether I win or one of my fine, handsome opponents.

Tonight, I want to briefly address our energy policy. Atlasia has worked to move away from foreign and unclean sources of energy for years now, yet we still have not reached our full potential. My running mate and I believe strongly in protecting our natural resources and beauty. We cannot allow man and other forces to destroy it. And we have made steps in Atlasia to improve the way we live. But we can do more. Energy policy effects the way Atlasians live, from the air we breathe to the jobs we take. Implementing light rail in major metropolitan areas is a start. We must continue to fund research to find out what works and what does not. This is a young industry. Nothing is established. Over the course of my administration, we will monitor the success of the Green Fund, a fund set up to provide low-interest loans to small businesses, and will extend it if things look to be progressing. The fund has huge potential, as the green industry is a largely untapped resource in this country. The capacity for this country to produce solar, wind, and biofuel technology is vast. We must tap into it!

We must also provide extend the tax credits to businesses investing in green energy. Not only are these technologies good for our environment, they cut energy costs! We need to encourage the private sector to hop on board and we will see even more progress. In the Senate, I authored a bill providing incentives for businesses to invest in green tech, and with it set to expire soon, it is important we extend it. It is truly a win-win scenario. They will also serve to create jobs in the overall economy. I was even told that painting the tops of high-rise buildings white instead of black cuts down on energy usage! It is the little things we can implement that will make a difference! Many of these proposals will tie into my economic platform, which I will discuss in the future. I want to set a goal to cut greenhouse emissions by 20-percent by 2030 and 85-percent by 2060.

This is a start. Any questions are welcomed and encouraged to both me and my running mate. Cheesy
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #254 on: September 23, 2011, 01:42:28 AM »

Duke / Cincinnatus is a real great ticket !

Dedicated, human, efficient, smiling, humble and positively ambitious for Atlasia !

Endorsed !
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #255 on: September 23, 2011, 01:54:49 AM »

This is a tremendous ticket. Both of you have proven that you are willing and capable of working with people across the political spectrum. This is what Atlasia needs on a federal level. This is one of the reasons why I endorse you.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #256 on: September 23, 2011, 01:27:42 PM »

Thoroughly endorsed!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #257 on: September 24, 2011, 12:18:19 PM »

I mainly am posting this to keep my thread on page 1, but as a former successionista myself, I feel my thoughts my be relevant.

The current "crisis," and I quote this because it doesn't actually exist, has no constitutional basis whatsoever. We found that out when I first joined and wanted to create a revolution for my young and upstart ideas. Tongue

They can make threads all they want, but nothing is happening here. The only crisis is one that the government is creating and nothing more. Let the guys have their fun. They are not actually doing anything. Chill out and relax. Wink

I also want to draw attention to this thread because I will be laying out my economic policy today. I think it's the most fun to read because, well, I love economics. Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #258 on: September 24, 2011, 07:36:27 PM »

Tough crowd.

Before I go out for the evening, I think it is time to unveil my second part of my campaign platform: economics. This, in my mind at least, is the most important aspect of any presidential campaign, especially one where we are witnessing an economic recovery. My main principles behind this are two pronged: tax reform along with infrastructure improvements. Tonight, I will be covering taxes, and in the morning, I will cover some projects I would like to see us tackle, ie transportation, infrastructure, etc..

The improvement of our economy means that the federal government can now begin implementing necessary budget cuts in order to shore up our balance sheets without any adverse effects on our economy. GM Marokai has laid out some programs and areas where we can explore cuts, and I pledge to work with him during Cinci and I's administration to eliminate some wasteful spending. With these spending cuts and stream lining of other programs, we can begin to explore further tax reform. My goal is simple: to eliminate loopholes and lower overall rates for all Atlasians. These tax cuts would benefit the middle class the most: those driving our economic recovery. I believe if we move more of the middle class out of the tax pool completely, we will see things take off. That said, I pledge that the top rate on those earning over $1 million will not exceed 50% in this plan, but I will say I do support a progressive tax over a flat tax. Some of us can and should pay more than others.

Corporate taxes are a new beast entirely. I applaud the reforms Polnut made during his administration. I would like to see even more progress being made. As it stands, while our corporate tax remains one of the highest in the world, some companies hardly pay anything. Under my new plan, I would like to see overall rates lowered to 25% in the short term and even lower in the future. By eliminating the loop holes some corporations use to avoid any taxes, it will broaden the tax base and not cause any adverse affects on our budget. In fact, I would go on a limb to say we'll see increased tax revenue. Atlasia will also be a more competitive place to do business without the psychological fear of our current rates.

So anyway, that is a bare bones version of a tax plan I would like to test if I would be so fortunate to get elected. I apologize if it isn't revolutionary, but I think it is a common sense moves we should make.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #259 on: September 24, 2011, 07:58:46 PM »

Excellent! We can make a sizable reduction to the rates (not just a couple percent like the current administration suggests) with some real tax reform.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #260 on: September 25, 2011, 10:56:07 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2011, 10:57:44 PM by Cincinnatus »

Running as Vice President on Duke’s ticket, it is essential for me to come before you with ideas, concerns, and hopes.  Tonight, I’ll talk about an issue of great importance to myself, and I feel, the longevity of this game, regions.

Atlasia has five different regions, all granting a different perspective.  Unfortunately, personality and ideological make-up alone isn’t enough.  Regions consistently pass bills that in reality are often recycled issues used by Assembly Representatives to salvage some form of enjoyment from their positions.  Our Senate should work to embrace the most personal and populated form of government.  We should encourage regional power, regional diversification, and correlation between the Senate and regional Assemblies.  A few plans already exist in which we can achieve this objective.

Newly registered citizens often begin their experience here in a regions Assembly.  Yet, we put no emphasis on the relation between Regions, and the Senate.  Laws and constitutional amendments pass the Senate, and those outside have no clue, and often, don’t seem to care.  We should create a system that provides a direct relationship between Federal power, and Regional power.  When a Constitutional amendment passes the Senate, it should be voted upon by the Assembly’s of Atlasia’s five regions.  Not only will we provide our regions elected officials with an issue of magnitude and consequence, but it may also become an important factor in regional elections.  

On the topic of elections, Duke and I strongly support JBrase and Marokai’s Empowering Regions in Elections Amendment.  Why shouldn’t regions be afforded the right to elect their regional Senator in the manner they choose?   Are these Senators not elected to represent their regions population, their regions moral character, and their regions structure of governance?  The same majority that elected their regional Senator in the first place, should be granted the right to debate and adopt the method in which their Senate seat is obtained.

Finally, and a point I feel very important, GM/SOIA response.  Now, let me start off by saying I feel the job done by GM Marokai and former GM’s has been superb.  However, I feel this issue is important and must be considered.  Several weeks ago the GM gave us a breakdown by region of unemployment, and types of industries by region.  This was a great indicator, and I applaud the GM for this.  Unfortunately, beyond an occasional hurricane, few situations ever arise in which regional governments must respond.  Few articles ever address long standing Green Jobs Acts, Medical Savings Accounts, and several other pieces of legislation.  Now, I understand the GM is perhaps the most trying job, and I won’t pretend like I have an easy solution.  It can be promised however, that we would be committed to a solution that works best for both the Regions, and the GM.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #261 on: September 26, 2011, 05:26:31 PM »

In the spirit of this campaign's theme, I want to have a little segment I call question time. Ask me or my running mate anything, and we will do our best to answer your questions. I will also be introducing additional economic plans afterwards, so stay  tuned. I encourage everyone to take advantage of this time! Whiskey is on the table to the left, and gin and tonics can be found behind my podium.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #262 on: September 27, 2011, 08:17:03 PM »

Philadelphia, PA

Since no one wanted to take advantage of my question time, I expect the reason for that is because you all want me to get on with my platform. I couldn't think of any other reason.

Tonight I want to cover the second portion of my economic platform, and that is job creation. While lowering tax rates in a responsible manner do help companies, it is not the single answer in job creation. I believe nation building projects are important. Much of the country's infrastructure has been improved as the nation toiled in economic malaise, and now that we are coming out of it, we can continue to fine tune our roads and expand to new horizons. Much has been discussed with high speed rail projects, which are a good idea to modernize this country's transportation system and bring us in line with the 21st century. However, simply building these systems is not enough. We need a plan to encourage people to actually use them over the much cheaper car and airplane travel. That's why I would purpose a system where the government subsidizes ticket costs until the rail companies have a broad enough customer base to cover their own costs and a broad enough customer base to where people actually use and see the benefits of these rail systems. They not only provide jobs during construction, but will erase borders and allow for people to expand their job search and place of employment to areas thought to be too far previously. Plus, they are good for our environment and lessens our dependency on foreign sources of energy. With these projects, I would like to see regional legislatures involved. I feel they know best which cities need these systems and which routes are the most profitable and ones that make the most sense. The Senate should not simply decide on their own.

Additionally, many of the new jobs can and should be created in the private sector. A government led recovery is not a strong recovery at all. I propose a cash tax credit of sorts for jobs created in the green, startup and small business field. These tax credits can be converted to a cash equivalent for additional employees.

While the ideas laid out above are not the be all end all solutions, they are a few ideas that come to mind when I think about the future of our economy. I think that together, when all the minds meet, we can do some wonderful stuff.

Thank you all and remember, vote Duke early and often!
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #263 on: September 27, 2011, 09:27:38 PM »

The regions elect a Senator that can and should help with making the right decisions for regions. That is why I did and continue to campaign on being an interactive and attentive representative for my regions interests.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #264 on: September 29, 2011, 02:27:47 PM »

Yes, and I want to encourage that even more going forward. I remember when I worked with the IDS to build a much needed highway extension in South Carolina, and I am not even a regional senator! We need more of that.

I'll be speaking more on the importance of regions this evening.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #265 on: September 29, 2011, 03:15:05 PM »

I remember when I worked with the IDS to build a much needed highway extension in South Carolina, and I am not even a regional senator!

PORK ALERT
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #266 on: September 30, 2011, 10:46:49 PM »

I just want to say that I am sorry to see Marokai's resignation today. Despite the differences many had with him, I think we can all agree he was an active, dedicated and thorough Game Moderator, and one that did his best to move the game forward. He will be missed.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #267 on: October 01, 2011, 04:51:41 PM »

Thought I'd hold a voter drive for you since I've been in the shadows for many weeks now Wink
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #268 on: October 01, 2011, 05:00:30 PM »

I hope you and Newt are doing well, A-Bob. Wink
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #269 on: October 02, 2011, 01:21:47 AM »

In leu of the chaos that has arisen in the past few hours, I just want to say that Cincinnatus and myself will remain positive through these tough times. While the numbers are stacked against us, and we are not the favorites by any means, I do hope Atlasians take the time to examine the candidates in this race, our policies, reputations and work ethics when you go to the booth to decide who you want to be the next President. If the game becomes the type of thing where party registration dictates your vote all the time, it will not last. We need real discussion, not bickering. I ask those on both the left and right to hold your fire, because all of this crap is not going to solve one problem. If anything, it will drive people away from this mess until there is nothing left. I don't think any of us want to see that as an end product. We all have our beliefs, and I highly doubt any of us will change each other's minds.

But hey, those are just my two, albeit worthless, cents.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #270 on: October 02, 2011, 05:49:48 AM »

These words are well-chosen, wise and mature, Senator Duke.

Permanent bickering and accusations destroy the fun people have with Atlasia and turns off potential newcomers. Everyone, please keep in mind that if we want to keep Atlasia alive we must focus on policy issues and treat each other with respect. Attack the stances that your political opponents in Atlasia have, but don't make the mistake to attack the people who hold these views.
Duke's and Cincinnatus' presidential campaign are an ideal example in this respect.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #271 on: October 04, 2011, 05:12:13 PM »

These words are well-chosen, wise and mature, Senator Duke.

Permanent bickering and accusations destroy the fun people have with Atlasia and turns off potential newcomers. Everyone, please keep in mind that if we want to keep Atlasia alive we must focus on policy issues and treat each other with respect. Attack the stances that your political opponents in Atlasia have, but don't make the mistake to attack the people who hold these views.
Duke's and Cincinnatus' presidential campaign are an ideal example in this respect.

It's good to see this bickering has moved into a more reform based discussion. Tongue

While I won't pretend that I have been at the forefront of the reformist movements, I do believe there are things we can do to improve the game and, in turn, increase activity overall. At the moment, we see the participation in national elections dropping, so clearly something needs to be done. Perhaps the elections of 2012 coming up will bring in new blood or something, I don't know.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #272 on: October 04, 2011, 07:46:52 PM »

Snowguy brought up an important issue that I'd like to address. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Every person should have a position in Atlasia.  Now, I'm not saying every person should be an elected or appointed official [Nor do I believe snowguy is].  Instead, I think the way for this to bear fruit is for New groups to form, such as The Fraternal Order of the Beaver, or Campaign for Growth.  These groups can form a political entity in themselves, allowing debate and ideas to take form outside of the legislature and Senate.  Furthermore, encouraging the formation of party caucuses has the potential to foster discussion of our political differences, while simultaneously involving more members in higher capacities.  The fact is, as we get more people involved, more avenues of legislation will arise, as well as more competitive elections.  Even those that are "retired" or newly registered can contribute to such groups.  By encouraging activity, commitment, and debate in such a way, we can increase interest in the game, without sacrificing the aspect of elections.

Unfortunately, I don't believe any legislative move can, or should be used to achieve these goals.  It is up to everyone of us who care about the survival of this game to contribute.  If the Senate and legislature continues to have a monopoly on political debate in this game, nothing will ever change.  I encourage everyone to find a way to contribute outside of their political offices, and outside of the voting booths.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #273 on: October 04, 2011, 10:38:31 PM »

Right. There are ample ways to let your voices be heard even if you are not in the senate. Forming a political party is one way, but PACs, organizations, newspapers et all are ways to push your ideas. I remember when I first joined and the right was going through a renaissance, it used the National Weekly Atlasia as its mouthpiece. We once had much more discussion outside of elections, and nowadays it seems like the senate talks and the board goes stale until an election pops up. I am not sure what the federal government can realistically do in order to spur debate. It is up to individuals to do that. There was no piece of legislation passed that saw the right resurgence in 2009, nor did the Senate form the RPP. It just happened. Activity in the game will ultimately rebound when more people want it to rather than a chosen few. It has to be a team effort.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #274 on: October 08, 2011, 04:22:51 PM »

My 89 year old grandfather is having some health complications this weekend. I apologize for being inactive, but these things take priority.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies