Does anyone else find Obama really boring?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:30:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Does anyone else find Obama really boring?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Does anyone else find Obama really boring?  (Read 1631 times)
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2010, 09:10:32 PM »

I'm a Democrat, and a fan of Obama..But I mean, while he's a good speaker in general, he comes off as Idk how to put it..very distant and pretty boring, like one of those really analytical scholarly types. He comes off actually almost as robotic, in a sense. Like at least with W., though I wasn't a fan, the man was funny, there was a sense of warmth or if not warmth than at least, passion as he spoke. You saw W. get angry. Or even Reagan and FDR; Both men were funny and quick for a quip, had a charisma, a warmth etc. Even Nixon and LBJ were humorous; Nixon was passionate, he was brooding, dark--you could see his anger or his depth of thought in his press conferences. LBJ was a ''good ole' boy'', blunt, vulgar, yet gentlemanly and polite, both in public and in his private tapes.

Bill was your regular Boomer American, and he was funny, wasn't afraid to be funny or be frank, and like Reagan had a charismatic warmth that drew you to him. You could tell that he was being genuine in at least some of his speeches. He was lively.

You never see Obama get angry or passionate or excited, he's always so calm almost to the point of being dispassionate, and even he does get anger, it comes off as a cool, really really sort of sedated anger. When he tries to act like a ''regular guy'' and funny it comes off as rather false. He also comes off a bit dorky, like for example, when talking to Tyra about his first meeting/romance with Michelle he said he thought ''well, she's a looker.''...Like idk, I don't usually use that terminology when describing a woman lol.

I just find him very strange, very distant.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 09:13:20 PM »

You just noticed this?

Obama's dry intellectualism and supposed high mindedness was one of his original selling points.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 09:15:36 PM »

Yeah, I find him extremely boring. His speeches aren't as good as they used to be either. In terms of personal appeal and likability my public perception of him is that of a Woodrow Wilson 2.0.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 09:34:40 PM »

Yeah, Obama is a pretty average public speaker.

Obama's dry intellectualism and supposed high mindedness was one of his original selling points.

Another thing that demotes him as a speaker is how he overuses (and occasionally misuses) the pregnant pause.  I remember a few times during the campaign when he would insert a pause in the middle of a sentence where it had little rhetorical purpose.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 09:38:09 PM »

Yeah he is really REALLY boring. He sounds like one of my friends from Oregon when he's not stoned. I AM NOT EVEN KIDDING.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 09:38:41 PM »

I'm sick of his "um... um... um.." too. It is a fatal handicap to his ability.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 09:43:05 PM »

He is, sadly
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 09:45:27 PM »

Yeah, at least Bush's accent made him entertaining.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 09:45:50 PM »

He just became popular in the first place because he was wise enough to point out that there is "no liberal America, there is no conservative America, there is only one America!" something a 4th grader could've wrote while bored in Art class.

And sadly, as his presidency has proven, there is indeed not one America.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 09:51:21 PM »

And sadly, as his presidency has proven, there is indeed not one America.

Indeed. Populist rhetoric can only get you so far; And so far he has been one of our most polarizing presidents, whether what he does is justifiable or not.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 09:54:22 PM »

Maybe it's just me, but i find all politicians boring when they speak
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 10:00:33 PM »

McCain was not boring. But that doesn't mean I would vote for him.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 10:04:45 PM »

It's cause he's one of those book learners.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 10:12:13 PM »

Anyway, him being boring is not all bad.

The President has become way too much of a celebrity, in the sense that too much attention focuses on that one person. This has only intensified in recent decades, compared to history. An active Presidency is only needed when we face a crisis; otherwise, he or she should step into the background.

Ultimately, the success of America is not based on one person with limited powers at the top of the government, however powerful or influential he or she may be; it is based on the millions of people like us who utilize the freedoms we have to work hard, follow our dreams, and create valuable results. Cliched but true. If you open your eyes and look around your university, your community, or perhaps even your friends and family or the place you work (obviously depending where it is), there are so many people doing interesting and cool things.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 11:52:41 PM »

I would use the word "uninspired."  Even though I ranked the SC speech as probably the best public speech in 40 years, this is one area where he has failed.

I watch Obama speaking to business owners in Allentown a few weeks ago.  He sounded like an economics professor, and a boring one at that.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 12:18:18 AM »

I like boring. If I want excitement, I prefer to look elsewhere than POTUS antics.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 12:45:03 AM »

I watch Obama speaking to business owners in Allentown a few weeks ago.  He sounded like an economics professor, and a boring one at that.

That's what i would prefer, it beats the usual grand speeches where the politicians use lots of empty phrases and manage to end up saying basically nothing at all. Now those are boring, and probably the most common.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 01:08:42 AM »

His speaking abilities never soaked my panties like they did for other people. I thought his 04 convention speech was great, and a couple during the primaries were good. I just think that when he's speaking that if he's going for inspirational, then it comes off as trying way too hard and kind of goofy; a caricature of what someone thinks a mix between a black preacher and a president would be. If he's being serious and talking policy, then I fall asleep.

However, I think when he's speaking casually, in interviews or just with other people, that he's very charming. I wish he would just speak like that all the time. He wants so hard to be JFK that it comes off looking stupid; when JFK spoke, he didn't sound like he was putting on airs. Obama just needs to be himself...

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 01:14:39 AM »

That's what i would prefer, it beats the usual grand speeches where the politicians use lots of empty phrases and manage to end up saying basically nothing at all. Now those are boring, and probably the most common.

I think it was over their heads.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 01:45:06 AM »

That's almost exactly how I would describe a lot of Obama speeches...
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 01:50:38 AM »

I agree with what you said about both Obama and Bush.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 01:59:50 AM »

I like boring. If I want excitement, I prefer to look elsewhere than POTUS antics.

Unfortunately, that's not what most of America thinks. If that's what America though, JFK & Bush Jr. would not have been elected.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 09:49:56 AM »

Boring and dumb, just the way Americans like 'em.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 05:27:26 PM »

Boring and dumb, just the way Americans like 'em.

Not boring. Americans like excitement, which is why some of us don't care about politics and opt to watch VH1 reality television.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 05:43:31 PM »

Yup. But what do you expect from a man who is just repeating untrue nonsense?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies