Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 02:57:22 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  New Feature Regarding Warnings, Mod Posting, and Banning
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: New Feature Regarding Warnings, Mod Posting, and Banning  (Read 26569 times)
Dave Leip
leip
Administrator
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« on: January 03, 2010, 10:02:23 am »

Hi and Happy New Year!
I'm implementing a new tracking tool for reported posts and moderator actions.  Now, all reported posts ("Report to Moderator") are saved and the moderators report the type of action taken (deleted/modified or no action and reason).  This provides a record of the reports and actions taken.  If there are any concerns with moderator action, I can review any complaints. 

Furthermore, I'm also implementing a new framework based on reported posts.  The following is a guideline and can be modified subject to moderator inputs.
  • At 3, 6, and 9 reported posts in which a moderator deletes or modifies the post, a warning is generated that sends a PM to the member showing the original posts that were moderated.
  • 10 reported posts in which a moderator deletes or modifies the post will place the member on moderated posting for 5 days. 
  • 15 reported posts in which a moderator deletes or modifies the post will place the member on moderated posting for an additional 10 days. 
  • 20 reported posts in which a moderator deletes or modifies the post will ban the member.

Only posts with date stamps after this message count.

Reported posts in which the moderator takes no action do not count.

There is an avenue to appeal the count of mod actions by sending a PM to myself.

Types of posts that are deleted or modified: personal attacks, profanity/vulgarity, discrimination/hatefulness, trolling/baiting, spam.

Note that immediate ban or mod review can be implemented for more serious violations.  It is my hope that these changes will improve the posting quality, improve the consistency of actions, and make the forum a better place.

Thanks for your help,
Dave

Some Guidelines (will continue to add to this list)
Personal Attacks: Personal attacks include extraneous words in a post that demean the poster you are debating, such as I disagree, you "*$#" (fill in the blank) or "I'm not sure that you can comprehend this, but ..."  All personal attacks are deleted when reported.  Veiled or subtle attacks will also be deleted when reported. 

Profanity and Vulgarity: Please refrain from using profanity and vulgarity.  Such posts are subject to deletion or modification when reported.

Discrimination and Hateful Speech: Posts deemed to be discriminatory or hateful against other posters or groups in general due to race, religion, etc. are deleted when reported.

Empty Quoting: One empty quote can be considered agreement with the statement.  Although I prefer you add your own words, I'm ok with reasonable levels.  Empty quoting yourself to bump a thread or to try to reiterate your position is considered spam.

Bumping old threads: bumping a very old thread with little substance (especially with an empty quote) is considered spam.  You can revitalize an old thread if there is new information to discuss or new members whom would like to engage in quality discussions.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:50:30 am by Dave Leip »Logged
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 10:21:32 am »
Ignore

Hear hear!!

I hope that there are also time limits on this, so that its not, for example, 20 posts over 5 years. A one year limit on this sounds reasonable, 20 problem posts in a year means more than one a month.

Scratch all that. I'm not a big believer in lifetime bans. Perhaps after 20 posts the poster can take a 2 month holiday. After that, for each 5 posts, he can take 2 more. IMHO of course.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 10:23:24 am by Teddy (D-SoFA) »Logged

TEDDY - ARKANSAS - IDS - Liberal Whip

Note to self: use brain more.
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 11:23:33 am »
Ignore

Hi and Happy New Year!
I'm implementing a new tracking tool for reported posts and moderator actions.  Now, all reported posts ("Report to Moderator") are saved and the moderators report the type of action taken (deleted/modified or no action and reason).  This provides a record of the reports and actions taken.  If there are any concerns with moderator action, I can review any complaints.  
Good idea.
Furthermore, I'm also implementing a new framework based on reported posts.  The following is a guideline and can be modified subject to moderator inputs.
 5 reported posts in which a moderator deletes or modifies the post generate a warning that sends a PM to the member showing the original posts that were moderated.
10 reported posts in which a moderator deletes or modifies the post will place the member on moderated posting for 5 days.  
15 reported posts in which a moderator deletes or modifies the post will place the member on moderated posting for an additional 10 days.  
20 reported posts in which a moderator deletes or modifies the post will ban the member.
Way too drastic, I fear. Given that post modification is occasionally for formatting errors... and what happens when an entire thread is deleted for whatever reason?

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 11:25:15 am »
Ignore

Way too drastic, I fear. Given that post modification is occasionally for formatting errors... and what happens when an entire thread is deleted for whatever reason?

I think it's at the discretion of the mod, and the banning will take that sort of thing into account.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Dave Leip
leip
Administrator
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 11:39:12 am »

Only posts deleted or modified for personal attacks, profanity/vulgarity, discrimination, trolling/baiting, spam count towards the totals.  Reported posts for format issues, wrong board, etc. don't count.

Dave
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 11:46:46 am »
Ignore

What about whole threads?

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 01:54:19 pm »
Ignore

Dave,

A few questions:

1. Is there some sort of expiration for the reported posts?  (for example, if I have 20 posts reported, but it's over the span of the next 10 years, would I still get banned?)
2. Is the ban after 20 posts permanent, temporary, or at your discretion?
3. Sometimes we get some heated back-and-forth threads where people will post 10 posts worth of reportable content.  If a mod decides to just delete a whole thread, will that count as 10 strikes, or just 1?

Overall it looks like a good system - thanks for taking some action.
IDS Judicial Overlord PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 04:05:12 pm »
Ignore

Yeah, I like the new feature, though I also think that it would be nice if someone wouldn't get banned for having 20 posts moderated over the course of 10 years.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 04:07:37 pm by PiT (The Physicist) »Logged

MasterJedi
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: 6.43

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 04:06:20 pm »
Ignore

Hamilton and his crew are already trying to abuse it with people they don't like atm.

Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 04:10:41 pm »
Ignore

Hamilton and his crew are already trying to abuse it with people they don't like atm.
really?

oh you should try to say hat is you do so many reports then I equals a certain amount of troll posts etc.

MasterJedi
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 04:11:51 pm »
Ignore

really?

oh you should try to say hat is you do so many reports then I equals a certain amount of troll posts etc.

Uhm, sorry, I can't understand that. Tongue

Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 04:13:32 pm »
Ignore

really?

oh sorry.
All I am saying is that if you abuse the new feature then you should get a consequence.

MasterJedi
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 04:14:12 pm »
Ignore

really?

oh sorry.
All I am saying is that if you abuse the new feature then you should get a consequence.

Ah, ok. I gotcha, and I agree.

Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 05:28:09 pm »
Ignore

Big shock there Tongue

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 05:29:38 pm »
Ignore

Big shock there Tongue

Yeah this is hardly a surprise.

Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 05:32:57 pm »
Ignore

I wish we could get a PM whenever one of our posts is reported, even if it doesn't say who reported it.

Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 05:36:30 pm »
Ignore

I fear this new system will be an abused disaster, honestly. You could find a sympathetic moderator to edit anything, if you're friendly with them enough and you report enough posts until something sticks.

Hamilton and his groupies are going to report the posts of almost anyone they collectively don't like even if the most is mildly offensive or not, and they're going to try and get moderators they're friendly with to go through with such things. There should've been some sort of stipulation in this new system that moderators all had to come to some sort of majority agreement over something, but instead, just one moderator has the power, if people abuse the report to moderator function enough, to be the executioner.

Quite alot of power and quite far in the direction we should not be taking, I think. I knew last night when some sort of rating system was being proposed that it would be abused and this will be abused all the same.

Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 05:39:17 pm »
Ignore

Ultimate authority, though, rests with Dave, and he can make the final judgment.

Plus, I have enough faith in the moderators not to do anything too outrageous.

Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 05:40:33 pm »
Ignore

Ultimate authority, though, rests with Dave, and he can make the final judgment.

Plus, I have enough faith in the moderators not to do anything too outrageous.

True, but I would have alot more faith in this new system if it wasn't just left up to one moderator to trigger these punishments.

Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 05:42:23 pm »
Ignore

True, but I would have alot more faith in this new system if it wasn't just left up to one moderator to trigger these punishments.

Yeah, same here.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 05:50:47 pm »
Ignore

I wish we could get a PM whenever one of our posts is reported, even if it doesn't say who reported it.

Dave, is this something that could be done?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 05:52:10 pm »
Ignore

I fear this new system will be an abused disaster, honestly. You could find a sympathetic moderator to edit anything, if you're friendly with them enough and you report enough posts until something sticks.

I don't think there are any moderators sympathetic to Hamilton & Co.  I guess it could be abused in the future, but for the most part, I think our mods are very fair.
Alexander Hamilton
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 05:56:03 pm »
Ignore

For the record, I reported posts using the word "retarded" in an unacceptable manner, as I always have, and one where ncy attacked someone viciously. MJ is a notorious liar and someone unworthy of being a mod, though, so I'm not surprised he would say something like that.

people suck
Senator Libertas
Libertas
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.48, S: -9.22

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 05:56:50 pm »
Ignore

I don't think there are any moderators sympathetic to Hamilton & Co.  I guess it could be abused in the future, but for the most part, I think our mods are very fair.

So the fact that the mods are heavily biased against "Hamilton & Co." makes them "very fair"?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 06:01:14 pm »
Ignore

So the fact that the mods are heavily biased against "Hamilton & Co." makes them "very fair"?

"Not being sympathetic to" does not equal "heavily biased against".
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout