Peter King (re)considering Senate run
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:05:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Peter King (re)considering Senate run
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Peter King (re)considering Senate run  (Read 3148 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2010, 01:58:22 PM »

per PoliticalWire.  thoughts?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 02:11:08 PM »

Lazio vs. Clinton II with a far more appealing and upstatish candidate in the role of Clinton. I don't see how King gets any of the traction upstate he needs in order to compete with Gillibrand, even if he does well on Long Island.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 02:11:37 PM »

Don't do it. You probably won't win and we might lose your House seat.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 02:24:29 PM »

Yeah, the RNC needs to talk him out of this.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 03:01:40 PM »

Run run, run sack of crap run
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 06:21:46 PM »

^^^^
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 06:55:55 PM »

I am surprised that former Massachusetts Governor Bill Weld hasn't been considered at all. He did run for Governor of NY in 2006 but dropped out to avoid a vote split with Jon Faso. He would secure the Independence Party nomination and the Conservative Party hasn't exactly been doing well lately, they couldn't prevent a moderate Republican from winning Nassau co. executive, though they came close. He would do much better then Lazio or King in a general election and make the Dems have to throw money into NY they otherwise wouldn't have to.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 06:59:11 PM »

Bill Weld? No thanks.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 07:20:29 PM »

He won't win anyway. Think of it like this. He runs and then wins 45% of the vote and loses to Gillibrand. You don't have rino in Senate but the Dems had to spend millions maybe 10 million dollars that otherwise would have gone to PA to beat Toomey or Ohio to beat Portman or NC to beat Burr. Better that then not run anyone and the Dems can through that money into other states and beat conservatives.

Conservatives like you, have got to realise that strategically it might be beneficial to run someone like Weld to make it easier to win other seats with candidates you would prefer much more. Tongue
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 07:32:33 PM »

Oh. True, but I'm not sure they'll need 10 million. Tongue
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 07:37:06 PM »

I was thinking about how we would need a lot of money just get him running, and how we would be the ones to throw it away for nothing.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 05:23:20 AM »

I'm glad to hear the old racist bastard is reconsidering. We'd all love for him to run.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 05:45:38 AM »

My thoughts? "A Shinner for Senator?"

No, that's a lie. My actual thought was that Smash will post in this thread and claim that this would result in an easy pickup in NY-3...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 05:51:54 AM »

Corrected. Grin

Not that it is at all likely, of course. Wrong year. Although a freshman would be much more vulnerable at redistricting... hmmm... Evil
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 05:40:24 PM »

My thoughts? "A Shinner for Senator?"

No, that's a lie. My actual thought was that Smash will post in this thread and claim that this would result in an easy pickup in NY-3...

No, I don't think it would.  With that being said I think last years results in Nassau was a major wake up call to the Democrats and despite the loss he had last year Suozzi would be a top tier candidate, and with his state ambitions out the window it makes him more likely to run.  Mejias would also be a strong and motivated candidate despite the loss he had.  For the GOP the strongest candidates would be Oyster Bay Supervisor John Venditto, who would certainly be a formidable candidate and State Senator Charles Fuschillo.  I highly doubt Fuschillo would run since he would have to give up his State Senate seat in order to do so especially considering the slim Dem advantage in the State Senate now, with redistricting around the corner and his State Senate seat being FAR from safe if it were to be an open race (enrollment is basically even).  He would be more likely to jump in if this was 2012, though if he feels the GOP has no chance of regaining the State Senate (which isn't far off) then he could jump in.

Other possible candidates for the Dems could be Nassau DA Kathleen Rice (probably the strongest of everyone) though the chances of that are real slim since she likely gets the AG nod once Cuomo announces his run for Gov.   Babylon Supervisor Steve Bellone could be a possibility, but probably unlikely since Suffolk only makes up a little over 20% of the district.  Other possible GOP candidate could be the new Presiding officer in the Nassau Legislature Peter Schmitt, who is close to Peter King, but his closeness to Gullotta could hurt him, or former Assemblyman Rob Walker, though that is probably unlikely due to him recently becoming Deputy CE for Mangano.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 08:46:31 PM »

Rice has a political future, doesn't she?  what a nightmare, I've long disliked her.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 09:00:59 AM »

He doesn't know what he wants:

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2010/01/06/king_leaning_against_senate_bid.html
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 12:05:21 PM »

He's not running.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/31347.html
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 12:08:28 PM »

that's a sigh of relief...
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 03:57:37 PM »

Now they're trying to get Lazio to switch races from Governor to Senate against Gillibrand.  By "they", I mean Alphonse D'Amato and crew.
true liberty
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 06:37:39 PM »

Now they're trying to get Lazio to switch races from Governor to Senate against Gillibrand.  By "they", I mean Alphonse D'Amato and crew.

why?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 06:45:34 PM »

why?

Because Cuomo will ultimately run for governor, and Lazio wouldn't have a shot.  He'd have a shot against Gillibrand - and the Republicans don't seem to have many big-name candidates willing to stand up and run in a statewide race.  The bench is thin (though in the process of getting rebuilt).
true liberty
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 06:49:57 PM »

why?

Because Cuomo will ultimately run for governor, and Lazio wouldn't have a shot.  He'd have a shot against Gillibrand - and the Republicans don't seem to have many big-name candidates willing to stand up and run in a statewide race.  The bench is thin (though in the process of getting rebuilt).

how would Lazio have a shot against Gillibrand?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 06:51:18 PM »

why?

um... the same Lazio that is running neck and neck with David Paterson in the polls?
true liberty
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 06:52:36 PM »

why?

um... the same Lazio that is running neck and neck with David Paterson in the polls?

thats what I was thinking.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies