Another uninvited State Dinner guest......
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:28:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Another uninvited State Dinner guest......
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Another uninvited State Dinner guest......  (Read 706 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2010, 03:31:10 PM »

A 3rd uninvited guest got into White House dinner

Jan 4 03:02 PM US/Eastern
By EILEEN SULLIVAN
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Secret Service says another person not on the guest list was allowed into a White House state dinner for India's prime minister in November.
Officials have been reviewing White House security procedures after it was discovered that an attention-seeking couple—Tareq and Michaele Salahi—made their way into the party without an invitation and shook hands with the president. Monday's acknowledgment brings the tally to three people who made it through Secret Service security at the White House without being on a guest list.

The Secret Service says someone traveling with the Indian delegation was allowed in. The service says this person was screened at the hotel with the rest of the Indian delegation who attended the state dinner.

OOPS!

Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 03:32:56 PM »

Good, about time some taxpayers start getting in on these parasite conventions.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 03:33:53 PM »

Good, about time some taxpayers start getting in on these parasite conventions.

Uh, a member of the Indian delegation is most assuredly not a taxpayer, Libertas Wink
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 03:35:35 PM »

Ah, well the point still stands. These should be open to everyone. If Obama wants a private party, he should pay for it out-of-pocket.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 04:59:01 PM »

Ah, well the point still stands. These should be open to everyone. If Obama wants a private party, he should pay for it out-of-pocket.

Actually, I basically agree with this where non-state functions are concerned.  I would love, for example, to see all the inaugural balls and parties either canceled or required to have corporate or private sponsors.  If Dick Durbin or Jon Kyl want to throw a bash somewhere...who pays for it?  Do they?  I hope so.  Same should go for the President, regardless of party.

Even locally...the city here pisses away several hundred thousand dollars for a big fireworks show on July 4th.  There are corporate sponsors who pick up some of the tab...but the taxpayers are on the hook for the rest.  Literally...up in smoke.

I'm not a Libertarian and I do believe government can and should do many things.  But I'd like to see throwing parties scratched off the list.

Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 05:11:34 PM »

much ado about nothing
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 08:52:03 PM »

Agree about the last part. Not the first part.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »

This was State function for visiting Head of State, not a Super Bowl viewing party.  There's a difference.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 09:43:33 PM »

This was State function for visiting Head of State, not a Super Bowl viewing party.  There's a difference.

If its a taxpayer-funded function, taxpayers have the right to attend.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 11:45:31 PM »

Actually, I basically agree with this where non-state functions are concerned.  I would love, for example, to see all the inaugural balls and parties either canceled or required to have corporate or private sponsors.  If Dick Durbin or Jon Kyl want to throw a bash somewhere...who pays for it?  Do they?  I hope so.  Same should go for the President, regardless of party.

Even locally...the city here pisses away several hundred thousand dollars for a big fireworks show on July 4th.  There are corporate sponsors who pick up some of the tab...but the taxpayers are on the hook for the rest.  Literally...up in smoke.

I'm not a Libertarian and I do believe government can and should do many things.  But I'd like to see throwing parties scratched off the list.

Inaugural balls are privately financed, and from what I hear, as boring as hell. I think white house  dinners should be paid for by the taxpayers within reason. The amount of money is trivial, and it is a thrill for those who get to attend, and just part of our tradition.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 02:42:14 AM »

Inaugural balls are privately financed, and from what I hear, as boring as hell. I think white house  dinners should be paid for by the taxpayers within reason. The amount of money is trivial, and it is a thrill for those who get to attend, and just part of our tradition.

I agree with Torie here.  As long as they're not spending ridiculous amounts of money, it's something that's been done for years and years.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies