What's Right with John Kerry
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:13:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  What's Right with John Kerry
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What's Right with John Kerry  (Read 8235 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2004, 12:05:39 AM »

Did you know...?

* Kerry was one of the first to investigate the Iran-contra scandals at a time when many in Washington wanted to blow it off.

* Kerry blasted both Noriega and the Reagan administration in a 1989 charging that the administration had put other foreign policy goals over the drug war. Although not taken seriously at the time, it was vindicated ten years later.

* Kerry investigated BCCI, which was a massive criminal enterprise until the early 1990s. Kerry's 1992 report blasted everyone: Justice, Treasury, US Customs, the Federal Reserve, Clifford and Altman (for participating in "some of BCCI's deceptions"), high-level lobbyists and fixers, and the CIA.

* Kerry toured Vietnam with conservative Republican Bob Smith in a last search for POW's in the mid 1990s.

* Kerry voted against the Defense of Marriage Act because he saw it as what it was-- a political wedge issue meant to divide Americans. He was actually far more pro-family than the act itself, wanting it to provide for counseling for all troubled marriages, not just for those who can afford it. To provide treatment on demand for those with alcohol and substance abuse.... To guarantee daycare for every family that struggles and needs it."

* Kerry was one of the few sponsors of the Clean Money, Clean Elections Act, to provide for full public financing of Congressional elections. The measure would remove practically all special-interest money from House and Senate campaigns.

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20040315&c=3&s=corn
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 04:07:25 AM »

You’ll start seeing this kinda stuff in ads soon and it should really shake Bush as what has he done? What concrete achievements has he produced… he says “I know exactly where I want to take this country” but where have you taken it since 2000? And then look at what Kerry has achieved… it’s a contrast Kerry’s team should be quick to draw in their advertising…it will help Kerry weather the barrage of republican ads that will flow up until the convention and if Kerry can survive these unscathed he’ll have the edge going into the campaign proper in the fall…      
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 07:14:50 AM »

The POW thing will be great to counter arguments about him betraying POWs by opposing the Vietnam War.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 08:25:43 AM »

That explanation for his vote against the Defense of Marriage Act isn't going to fly for one second.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 10:22:51 AM »

He also vote to cut back the CIA after the First World Trade Center Bombing.

Called all Vietnam vets Baby murders. And many Vets believe thats where they get the negative image from.

Voted against over 25 major defense systems we use today. Such as the F-15, F-16, Patriot Missle System and on and on.

So what do we see out of these three things?

He's Anti Military and Anti-Defense. Yes, exactly what the American people want in a age of terrorism.
dunn

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 10:32:43 AM »

He also vote to cut back the CIA after the First World Trade Center Bombing.

Called all Vietnam vets Baby murders. And many Vets believe thats where they get the negative image from.

Voted against over 25 major defense systems we use today. Such as the F-15, F-16, Patriot Missle System and on and on.

So what do we see out of these three things?

He's Anti Military and Anti-Defense. Yes, exactly what the American people want in a age of terrorism.

bt that logic
he is a vet = he is a baby killer
I agree his defance's vot is poor to dangerous
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 10:34:32 AM »

He's the one that said soldiers in Vietnam were slaughtering civilians like it was nothing! Many Vets stand against Kerry for such a generalization.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 10:44:33 AM »

Hey StatesRights, do you have a specific quote where he "calls all Vietnam vets baby murderers"?

Additionally, you make it sound as if his vote opposing these weapon systems was a huge one time package.  It was not.  It looks to me more like he voted against one weapons system because the deficit was out of control and lost the vote.  Then another came up, he voted against it and lost.

The point is, while all of these weapons together make us an indominatable power, simply trimming back 1 or 2 would not annihilate us.  We spend more than 7 TIMES what the next closest nation spends on defense.  It is 1/3 of our National Budget!

Look at it this way, if we spent every penny of our National Budget on Defense we could develop some truly amazing weapons.  But we don't.  Why is that?  Diminishing returns.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 10:47:48 AM »

Yes, in his testimony before Congress in 1971, he said that "rapes, murders and looting of civilians was common in Vietnam and either known by the higher officers or encouraged by them". I've seen the tape. It's rather disturbing.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2004, 10:53:31 AM »

Yes, in his testimony before Congress in 1971, he said that "rapes, murders and looting of civilians was common in Vietnam and either known by the higher officers or encouraged by them". I've seen the tape. It's rather disturbing.
That is a far cry from saying "EVERY VIETNAM VET IS ...."

And are you suggesting that these things didn't happen?  Because it is pretty well documented that they did.  Not by every soldier, but by some.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2004, 10:56:08 AM »

Saying that it was "common" implies that many people were doing it. To the American public if someone says "common" it means widespread. Even Vietnam Vets have said they are disgusted at the label that Kerry ended up giving them.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2004, 11:03:20 AM »

Saying that it was "common" implies that many people were doing it. To the American public if someone says "common" it means widespread. Even Vietnam Vets have said they are disgusted at the label that Kerry ended up giving them.
Now I wasn't in Vietnam so I can't say for sure, but from everything I have heard from Vets of that war, these events were, sadly, common.  As in just about every guy new of at least 1.  In order for that to be true only 1 out of about 100 guys would have to do something like that.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2004, 11:12:04 AM »

Also common were 12 year olds strapping bombs to themselves and blowing Americans up. I work with a guy whos Uncle killed a boy because he ran up to him to give him a  hug and had a bomb strapped around him. Sad, but true.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2004, 11:21:01 AM »

Yeah, it was a bad war ... very ugly.  There are stories about the Vietcong going into villages that wouldn't cooperate and slaughtering them all.  It was a bad bad thing.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2004, 11:27:03 AM »

War is hell and soldiers need to do what needs to be done to survive. They dont need veterans going before Congress and widely condemning them and making it look like they were beating up on innocent civilians who just happened to be easy targets.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2004, 11:54:19 AM »

War is hell and soldiers need to do what needs to be done to survive. They dont need veterans going before Congress and widely condemning them and making it look like they were beating up on innocent civilians who just happened to be easy targets.
War is hell.  But rape is never a necessity or survival.  I think it is the duty of every soldier to report what they experienced in war to their superiors, regardless of whether that is their direct commanding officer, a 4-star general, the President, or Congress.
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2004, 12:03:32 PM »

Look, John Kerry fought in Vietnam 33 years ago.

At that time, he had such conviction that the war was wrong that he came out and led an anti-war movement among veterans.

The questions in 2004 are:

- does he retain from that experience any anti-military or pacifist beliefs?

- as a commander in chief, would he be able to make clear judgements about when war is necessary?

- is he able to lead this country in war, and have a good working relationship with the leaders of our Armed Forces?

These are the questions that will come out in the campaign, and Kerry needs to answer them to the satisfaction of the American people.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2004, 12:09:00 PM »

At that time, he had such conviction that the war was wrong that he came out and led an anti-war movement among veterans.

- as a commander in chief, would he be able to make clear judgements about when war is necessary?

- is he able to lead this country in war, and have a good working relationship with the leaders of our Armed Forces?

These are the questions that will come out in the campaign, and Kerry needs to answer them to the satisfaction of the American people.

Do you know some of the things that his organization "Vietnam Veterans against the War" have said? Did you know Jane Fonda is a member?

On your first question. I think he's much more pacifist then anti-military, but in this age of terrorism we do NOT need someone like that.

On your second question. No, I'm afraid he would not go far enough to destroy the enemy. I think he would do "just enough" or think of fighting terrorism as a police action.

No, I think he would withdrawl many of our troops. Not saying he would abandon Iraq or Afghanistan, but I fear that those countries might slip back to chaos under his leadership. Getting alone with the military leaders? I dont know that remains to be seen.

Yes, I know Vietnam was 33 years ago, but their are still a LOT of veterans around who lived back then and a lot of them feel they were treated like crap by the protestors after the war.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2004, 12:37:10 PM »

does john kerry believe in anything??

he voted for the patriot act, no child left behind, nafta, the war in iraq, and now, he *seems* to be opposed to those things.

he  makes a big deal about not 'going it alone', yet the man voted AGAINST the forst iraq war (which had un approval) and FOR the latest war which didnt have un approval.

and i see today that kerry has changed his mind on arafat.  he no longer considers arafat a 'statesman'.  im glad to see that reversal, but again, it begs the question--does this man have any convictions?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2004, 12:53:05 PM »

http://www.foxbaltimore.com/baltimore_md/

Read the National news section about Kerrys comments that have upset some.

Then go to "The Point" and read Kerrys 32 pages of testimony befor Congress. If the Democrats say it won't hurt him they are lying.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2004, 03:08:39 PM »

does john kerry believe in anything??

he voted for the patriot act, no child left behind, nafta, the war in iraq, and now, he *seems* to be opposed to those things.

he  makes a big deal about not 'going it alone', yet the man voted AGAINST the forst iraq war (which had un approval) and FOR the latest war which didnt have un approval.

and i see today that kerry has changed his mind on arafat.  he no longer considers arafat a 'statesman'.  im glad to see that reversal, but again, it begs the question--does this man have any convictions?

Politicians can't afford convictions. Tongue

Mort - I think you sum it up. Kerry's activities are only interesting to the extent that they might tell us something about what kind of president he'd be.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2004, 03:18:40 PM »

To respond to what someone said about an age of terrorism.  

That's exactly why Bush is going to lose.  He going to try to scare everyone into believing if he's not elected the world is going to hell.  Even with 9/11, there is more to the world and the country than terrorism.  This is not going to go down as the "Terrorism Age".  If we keep doing what Bush is doing, throwing everything behind national security, and forgetting education, healthcare, job, and the economy, the very thing we are trying to protect is going to start to suck.  We've always had a sufficent system, we were just caught off guard by 9/11.  That was really the first large scale attack made on US soil in times of peace.  The simple fact we are aware nowadays makes the country safe enough.  I'm not living my days in fear, and the president would like nothing less.  If he thinks hes gonna go scare everyone into voting for him he's sorely mistaken.  
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2004, 12:44:01 AM »

Mort - I think you sum it up. Kerry's activities are only interesting to the extent that they might tell us something about what kind of president he'd be.

Well, the 2004 election is not a referendum on the war in Vietnam (although it would be great for the Democrats to the extent they could make it one, or try to draw comparisons with Iraq). The point is, how much does John Kerry see foreign policy and war through that prism?

Let me make it clear, though, that given Kerry’s background, I believe that there is real reason to question whether he can convince patriotic skeptics regarding the issues I posed above.

HockeyDude:

It's not just about our security here. It's about a region of the world living about a millenium behind the rest of the world, but using today's technology to commit mass murder. In fact, we'll never be safe until we dry up the supply of people who hate us more than they love their own lives - that means we must serve as the catalyst for the cultural and political liberation of the Middle East. Bush has that intention, and the country has the power. It doesn't mean that we need billions and billions more for defense - it's more about honing our intelligence and special forces capabiities.

No one has to live in fear. This is an age of great hope for the people of the Middle East. Fear comes into play only if we don't take up the challenge, and let the forces in the Middle East that brought us 9/11 continue to grow out of control.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2004, 01:40:00 AM »

Did you know...?

* Kerry was one of the first to investigate the Iran-contra scandals at a time when many in Washington wanted to blow it off.

* Kerry blasted both Noriega and the Reagan administration in a 1989 charging that the administration had put other foreign policy goals over the drug war. Although not taken seriously at the time, it was vindicated ten years later.

* Kerry investigated BCCI, which was a massive criminal enterprise until the early 1990s. Kerry's 1992 report blasted everyone: Justice, Treasury, US Customs, the Federal Reserve, Clifford and Altman (for participating in "some of BCCI's deceptions"), high-level lobbyists and fixers, and the CIA.

* Kerry toured Vietnam with conservative Republican Bob Smith in a last search for POW's in the mid 1990s.

* Kerry voted against the Defense of Marriage Act because he saw it as what it was-- a political wedge issue meant to divide Americans. He was actually far more pro-family than the act itself, wanting it to provide for counseling for all troubled marriages, not just for those who can afford it. To provide treatment on demand for those with alcohol and substance abuse.... To guarantee daycare for every family that struggles and needs it."

* Kerry was one of the few sponsors of the Clean Money, Clean Elections Act, to provide for full public financing of Congressional elections. The measure would remove practically all special-interest money from House and Senate campaigns.

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20040315&c=3&s=corn
He's not bush
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2004, 02:15:34 AM »

HockeyDude, obviously you dont listen to your president. He said to "Live your life as normal as possible". He didnt say "Oh they are coming run for your lifes they are going to kill us all." lol Sorry for exaggerating it. We should be guarded though. These people will do ANYTHING do destroy the west, Europe and the USA. Their whole history and goal is spreading Islam worldwide and destroying its enemies. And actually they spread their religion through perceived persecution and then use it to their advantage to get power.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies