What's Right with John Kerry
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:26:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  What's Right with John Kerry
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What's Right with John Kerry  (Read 8236 times)
dunn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2004, 04:42:53 AM »

Look, John Kerry fought in Vietnam 33 years ago.

At that time, he had such conviction that the war was wrong that he came out and led an anti-war movement among veterans.

The questions in 2004 are:

- does he retain from that experience any anti-military or pacifist beliefs?

- as a commander in chief, would he be able to make clear judgements about when war is necessary?

- is he able to lead this country in war, and have a good working relationship with the leaders of our Armed Forces?

These are the questions that will come out in the campaign, and Kerry needs to answer them to the satisfaction of the American people.

Mort - I think you sum it up. Kerry's activities are only interesting to the extent that they might tell us something about what kind of president he'd be.

Well, the 2004 election is not a referendum on the war in Vietnam (although it would be great for the Democrats to the extent they could make it one, or try to draw comparisons with Iraq). The point is, how much does John Kerry see foreign policy and war through that prism?

Let me make it clear, though, that given Kerry’s background, I believe that there is real reason to question whether he can convince patriotic skeptics regarding the issues I posed above.

HockeyDude:

It's not just about our security here. It's about a region of the world living about a millenium behind the rest of the world, but using today's technology to commit mass murder. In fact, we'll never be safe until we dry up the supply of people who hate us more than they love their own lives - that means we must serve as the catalyst for the cultural and political liberation of the Middle East. Bush has that intention, and the country has the power. It doesn't mean that we need billions and billions more for defense - it's more about honing our intelligence and special forces capabiities.

No one has to live in fear. This is an age of great hope for the people of the Middle East. Fear comes into play only if we don't take up the challenge, and let the forces in the Middle East that brought us 9/11 continue to grow out of control.
Amen
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2004, 12:23:33 PM »

HockeyDude, obviously you dont listen to your president. He said to "Live your life as normal as possible". He didnt say "Oh they are coming run for your lifes they are going to kill us all." lol Sorry for exaggerating it. We should be guarded though. These people will do ANYTHING do destroy the west, Europe and the USA. Their whole history and goal is spreading Islam worldwide and destroying its enemies. And actually they spread their religion through perceived persecution and then use it to their advantage to get power.

I don't know what you mean with history...the Arabs were nice until they Islam came along, after which they had a century or so of nastiness, like wiping out the Christians on Northern Africa, but then they were basically cool until more recent times.
dunn

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2004, 12:25:27 PM »

HockeyDude, obviously you dont listen to your president. He said to "Live your life as normal as possible". He didnt say "Oh they are coming run for your lifes they are going to kill us all." lol Sorry for exaggerating it. We should be guarded though. These people will do ANYTHING do destroy the west, Europe and the USA. Their whole history and goal is spreading Islam worldwide and destroying its enemies. And actually they spread their religion through perceived persecution and then use it to their advantage to get power.

I don't know what you mean with history...the Arabs were nice until they Islam came along, after which they had a century or so of nastiness, like wiping out the Christians on Northern Africa, but then they were basically cool until more recent times.

when was that?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2004, 12:26:42 PM »

when was that?

When was what? 'recent times'?
dunn

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2004, 12:29:51 PM »

"but then they were basically cool "

when?

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2004, 12:32:47 PM »

"but then they were basically cool "

when?

During the time when we crusaded them...I don't know enough detailed info to give you exact years or anything, but during the middle-later mediaeval times and upto the radicalization of Islam in the 20th century Muslims were fairly cool. Meaning that they weren't bad-tempered, btw.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2004, 12:54:55 PM »

Yeah right! Their whole religion has been based on destroying their enemy. In the middle ages from about the 1200's to the 1500's they were right on Europes doorstep. Examples would be : Spain, Portugal, Southern France, Eastern Europe. The Muslims were as guilty during the crusades as Christians were.
dunn

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2004, 01:53:45 PM »

Yeah right! Their whole religion has been based on destroying their enemy. In the middle ages from about the 1200's to the 1500's they were right on Europes doorstep. Examples would be : Spain, Portugal, Southern France, Eastern Europe. The Muslims were as guilty during the crusades as Christians were.

you are right on this one statesrights
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2004, 02:17:47 PM »

Oh, please. Islam as a basic religion isn't much different from Christianity in these areas. Yes, they were right on Europe's doorstep, but what's your point? That doesn't make them evil. You're right on Canada's doorstep...
dunn

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2004, 02:27:58 PM »

Oh, please. Islam as a basic religion isn't much different from Christianity in these areas. Yes, they were right on Europe's doorstep, but what's your point? That doesn't make them evil. You're right on Canada's doorstep...

If Islamic forces were not defeted in 732 by the francs in north spain there would not be any europeans or any christians that is
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2004, 02:31:19 PM »

If Islamic forces were not defeted in 732 by the francs in north spain there would not be any europeans or any christians that is

If you read my original post you'll see that this is included in the early time of nastiness on their behalf. BEFORE they turn more reasonable again.
NHPolitico

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2004, 03:21:21 PM »

Did you know...?

* Kerry was one of the first to investigate the Iran-contra scandals at a time when many in Washington wanted to blow it off.

* Kerry blasted both Noriega and the Reagan administration in a 1989 charging that the administration had put other foreign policy goals over the drug war. Although not taken seriously at the time, it was vindicated ten years later.

* Kerry investigated BCCI, which was a massive criminal enterprise until the early 1990s. Kerry's 1992 report blasted everyone: Justice, Treasury, US Customs, the Federal Reserve, Clifford and Altman (for participating in "some of BCCI's deceptions"), high-level lobbyists and fixers, and the CIA.

* Kerry toured Vietnam with conservative Republican Bob Smith in a last search for POW's in the mid 1990s.

* Kerry voted against the Defense of Marriage Act because he saw it as what it was-- a political wedge issue meant to divide Americans. He was actually far more pro-family than the act itself, wanting it to provide for counseling for all troubled marriages, not just for those who can afford it. To provide treatment on demand for those with alcohol and substance abuse.... To guarantee daycare for every family that struggles and needs it."

* Kerry was one of the few sponsors of the Clean Money, Clean Elections Act, to provide for full public financing of Congressional elections. The measure would remove practically all special-interest money from House and Senate campaigns.

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20040315&c=3&s=corn

Did you know that Sen. Daniel Inouye pleaded with his colleagues to oppose Kerry's attempt via amendment in 1994 to hurt our national security?

"Madam President, if I may, I would like to say a few words about amendment No. 1452, an amendment submitted by the distinguished Senator from Massachusetts [Mr. Kerry].

The amendment offered by Senator Kerry would reduce the 1994 appropriations for national defense by about $4 billion. I believe the Members of this body should recall that Congress has already reduced DOD's budget in 1994 by more than $18 billion. Moreover, in each and every year of the past 10 years, Congress has cut the funds provided for defense. We have already cut defense spending drastically. ...

[snip]

Now if I may comment on another section that reduces funding for intelligence programs, and this amendment would reduce such funding by about $1 billion. Madam President, the intelligence budget has already been cut by almost 18 percent over the past 2 years. An additional reduction of $1 billion would severely hamper the intelligence community's ability to provide decisionmakers and policymakers with information on matters of vital concern to this country.

These issues include nuclear proliferation by North Korea--this has been on the front pages for the past 3 or 4 months--peacekeeping efforts in Bosnia and Somalia, as well as terrorist threats against American citizens and property. ...

At a time like this, is it prudent to reduce funds for the very intelligence programs which we need to identify these targets? This amendment would do that. It would blind our pilots. Is this the time to cut the satellite programs that give our forces warning of attacks? I hope that we will keep this in mind... If we do and this amendment passes, then we are putting blindfolds over our pilots' eyes. ...

I urge all Members to vote against this amendment
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2004, 04:07:28 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2004, 04:08:16 PM by Wakie »

NHPolitco, did you know the United States have enough nukes to destroy the planet 5 times over?  I'm just curious who the guy was who felt that 4 times just wasn't enough and that they would sleep just a little bit better if we could do a 5th time.

Did you also know that at $375 billion, the US DOD's budget is the world's largest?  In fact, it is 7 times that of the #2 nation on defense spending, Russia.

Also, did you know if you combine what we spend on Education, Homeland Security, Justice, Social Security, NASA, Veteran's Affairs, Transportation, Health & Human Services, Energy, & Agriculture it is still $100 billion less than what the DoD gets?

Do you really think cutting $4 billion off an almost $400 billion budget is really "hurting our national security".

Source = http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/index.html
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2004, 02:34:07 AM »

Hey Gustaf check this out. Just give it a read over tell me what you think. Its a very informative site about Islam. Its called the "Pact of Umar"

http://www.bible.ca/islam/islam-kills-pact-of-umar.htm

and

http://www.bible.ca/islam/islam-kills-islamic-law-shariah.htm

http://www.bible.ca/islam/islam-kills-myth-of-toleration.htm

This gives all the links :

http://www.bible.ca/islam/islam-kills.htm
dunn

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2004, 04:58:08 AM »

Hey Gustaf check this out. Just give it a read over tell me what you think. Its a very informative site about Islam. Its called the "Pact of Umar"

http://www.bible.ca/islam/islam-kills-pact-of-umar.htm

and

http://www.bible.ca/islam/islam-kills-islamic-law-shariah.htm

http://www.bible.ca/islam/islam-kills-myth-of-toleration.htm

This gives all the links :

http://www.bible.ca/islam/islam-kills.htm

StatesRights
You are so rught about terror and Islam yet you critizied Israel for fighting Terror un her own street and backyard, Is It aunti Hanan?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2004, 10:33:31 AM »

I think Israel is just as guilty of terrorist acts against Palestinians as Palestinians are guity. The whole are is a mess, but the Palestinians do need a nation of their own if they ever expect their to be peace in the region. I have read on the front page of our local newspaper so many times about Palestinian attacks on Israel, but when Palestinian civilians are killed or their houses are knocked down its buried in page 4 or 5. The is a New York Times published paper so I know it's not just a regional thing. I just question some of the actions Israel has and is taking, such as the wall.
dunn

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2004, 10:45:17 AM »

I think Israel is just as guilty of terrorist acts against Palestinians as Palestinians are guity. The whole are is a mess, but the Palestinians do need a nation of their own if they ever expect their to be peace in the region. I have read on the front page of our local newspaper so many times about Palestinian attacks on Israel, but when Palestinian civilians are killed or their houses are knocked down its buried in page 4 or 5. The is a New York Times published paper so I know it's not just a regional thing. I just question some of the actions Israel has and is taking, such as the wall.

the PA was in charge of 97% of the people and still genaretes terror acts against civilians. The fence was an idea of the left wing in Israel - not just to stop the terrotist attack but it acctually will be a border so it will mean Israel is giving up the vast majority of the area you called the west bank. Sharon accept it so now they attack him on this.
If you are against terror, and i know you are, you must be for preventing mass murder even at the cost of inconvinance for some of the population.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2004, 01:23:07 PM »

Yes, but I think both sides of the issue need to be examined before making a judgement.

To stick with a forum. Whats Right with Kerry.

"They are liars and crooks."

Thanks for the generalization Kerry. Especially hanging out with your AFL/CIO buddies while you say that. lol Yes the Unions are not corrupt . lol
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2004, 02:23:25 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2004, 02:25:48 PM by RightWingNut »

States rights-

do you know a muslim personally?
have you ever read the qoran?

it is not very prudent to make blanket statements about the Muslim people as a whole.  the actual qoran mandates tolerance in like the first 3 pages of text.  if you go to Mecca, there are people of all races coexisting peacefully.  if you look into the history of spain under moorish rule you would find the most religiously tolerant community in the history of humanity.  they were more open minded and peaceful than the USA is in this day and age.  to say that people like Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden are typical Muslims is like saying Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin are typical Christians.
dunn

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2004, 02:26:22 PM »

States rights-

do you know a muslim personally?
have you ever read the qoran?

it is not very prudent to make blanket statements about the Muslim people as a whole.  the actual qoran mandates tolerance in like the first 3 pages of text.  if you go to Mecca, there are people of all races coexisting peacefully.  if you look into the history of spain under moorish rule you would find the most religiously tolerant community in the history of humanity.  they were more open minded and peaceful than the USA in this day and age.  to say that people like Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden are typical Muslims is like saying Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin are typical Christians.
hitler and Stalin were anti church so your wxample is not that good. Read carefully the links he gave, I bet he read them, It's from the Koran
NHPolitico

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2004, 04:17:52 PM »

NHPolitco, did you know the United States have enough nukes to destroy the planet 5 times over?  I'm just curious who the guy was who felt that 4 times just wasn't enough and that they would sleep just a little bit better if we could do a 5th time.

Did you also know that at $375 billion, the US DOD's budget is the world's largest?  In fact, it is 7 times that of the #2 nation on defense spending, Russia.

Also, did you know if you combine what we spend on Education, Homeland Security, Justice, Social Security, NASA, Veteran's Affairs, Transportation, Health & Human Services, Energy, & Agriculture it is still $100 billion less than what the DoD gets?

Do you really think cutting $4 billion off an almost $400 billion budget is really "hurting our national security".

Source = http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/index.html

You look at the $4B in terms of out of what areas it comes out of-- intelligence, for example.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2004, 07:56:50 PM »

Unfortunately I don't have the break down of the Defense budget.  I just know that they get $375 billion this year.  I know that the bill that Inouye was talking about cut $1 billion off DOD intelligence.  I'm assuming that the DOD spends a pretty hefty chunk of change on intelligence.  And if your budget is $375 billion, is trimming $1 billion really going to hurt that much?
MarkDel

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2004, 08:09:41 PM »

Wakie,

Yes, because the vast majority of that money goes to weapons systems and general bureaucracy. The Republicans spend WAY too little on intelligence when they are in power...and the Democrats are FAR worse than that when they call the shots.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2004, 11:46:08 PM »

Hmm ... if bureaucracy is eating up $375 billion then it sounds to me that the DOD needs to do some self-evaluation (or perhaps Congress needs another Truman Committee).

Maybe we should cut back on some of these weapons systems (unfortunately some GOPers are blasting Kerry for suggesting that).

It just strikes me that some people think that the solution is to throw more money at the DOD and not worry about how it is being spent.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies