Three non-issues (big ones in our country) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:36:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Three non-issues (big ones in our country) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Three non-issues (big ones in our country)  (Read 3165 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: October 22, 2004, 09:58:50 AM »

Clearing some things up...
Abortion - the issue has been big in Europe for decades, but it's apparently settled now, outside Ireland. The difference between Europe and America is that the issue never got quite as polarized. Most US Ultraliberals want rules far more liberal than anything existing in Europe (where abortions are usually totally legal in the first trimester, near-impossible to get afterwards), while radical anti-abortionists are totally a fringe group almost everywhere in Europe.
Guns - yep, Shira's right. Not an issue. There's simply nowhere as many guns and nowhere as many gun murders, so this should be hardly surprising.
Gay Marriage - very much a subject of political, polarized, debate, but not an election winner. Some form of gay marriage or civil union has existed in the Netherlands and Scandinavia since the eighties, and in recent years Germany, France and Belgium have followed suit. Spain is debating the issue right now.
Exact legal frameworks differ from country to country, but the basic pattern is no full equality with breeders, but not far off either. Another emerging pattern is that change comes under Left wing governments, in the teeth of Conservative opposition, but conservative governments, once they come into power, do not attempt to turn back the tide.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 10:01:14 AM »

As part of my job I regularly deal with seethy individuals, and they often get angry at me.  Many of these people do have guns or other deadly weapons, and I have been threatened on several occasions. 
What's your job?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies