Opinion of this principle (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:37:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of this principle (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See below
Good principle (R)

Good principle (D)

Good principle (I/O)

Idiotic principle (R)

Idiotic principle (D)

Idiotic principle (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Opinion of this principle  (Read 3476 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« on: January 10, 2010, 04:28:47 AM »

Years ago, when I first became interested in politics, I had the thought that politicians should abide by the laws that they make, so I swore to myself that I would always do the best to follow the law (it goes with my nature of being a law and order conservative).

So, I've committed to not drinking before I turn 21 (at least while in the U.S.), not speeding, not illegally downloading music, etc.

Through college, it's become increasingly hard to stick to my principle (especially not drinking), so I was wondering what you guys think.  Is this a solid principle, or just me being no fun and lame?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 04:39:26 AM »

I find the fact that you're letting other people decide whether your principles are good or not is idiotic.

Stick to what you want to do, regardless.

Oh, I'm not letting you guys decide for me whether or not it's a good principle - I'll stick to this til the day I die - I was just curious what you think.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 05:29:09 AM »

If you believe a law is evil in its consequences, would you still follow it? This obviously doesn't really apply to "this is not legal, therefore I don't do it" and "this is legal, but that doesn't mean I have to do it" situations, but to situations where a course of action is legally prescribed.

That would depend on what the "evil" consequences are, and the definition of evil in that case.  But if it was a situation where 99% of Americans would agree with me that it was an evil law, then no, I wouldn't do it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 05:55:38 AM »

If you believe a law is evil in its consequences, would you still follow it? This obviously doesn't really apply to "this is not legal, therefore I don't do it" and "this is legal, but that doesn't mean I have to do it" situations, but to situations where a course of action is legally prescribed.

That would depend on what the "evil" consequences are, and the definition of evil in that case.  But if it was a situation where 99% of Americans would agree with me that it was an evil law, then no, I wouldn't do it.

So you do in fact allow other people to decide your opinions for you?

No.  I'm just saying that it would depend what we're talking about as "evil".  If it involved killing somebody, in order to follow some law (other than following out a capital punishment), I probably wouldn't follow the law.  My point was that some people would call things "evil" that really aren't evil.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 12:18:45 AM »

Whichg means that it includes speeding (Hamilton's quote makes it seem like it didn't include speeding).
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 01:24:58 AM »

There is no person who drives who has never ever speeded (especially since speeding unintentionally and at a level where you will not be ticketed is quite easy.)

Oh, I admit that I've sped before.  There's times where I'll be driving and my foot gets a little too heavy on the pedal, but I never intentionally speed.  And when I catch myself going over, I slow down.  But by no means do I perfectly follow my principle.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies