Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 20, 2014, 07:58:51 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Scott Brown for president?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Scott Brown for president?  (Read 4440 times)
pragmatic liberal
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2010, 04:39:17 pm »
Ignore

Obviously, I'm a Democrat. And I think the odds are that Coakley will win the Massachusetts Senate race. (Certainly, I hope she does.)

Still, if Brown actually wins, am I crazy to think he may decide to run for president in 2012?

I mean, the odds will be very much against him winning reelection in 2012 when you'd get full Democratic turnout for a presidential race.

The Republican presidential field for 2012, however, is fairly weak, with nobody the base is really that excited about. Naked pictures notwithstanding, Brown could, at least on paper, be a more appealing candidate than some of the other Republicans running. And even though Mitt Romney is FROM Massachusetts, Brown could likely get more grassroots support.

Meanwhile, he'll get boatloads of press for winning a Senate seat in Massachusetts, could likely be a major presence on FOX News, etc. And he could compare his experience with Obama's - longtime state senator with a short tenure in the U.S. Senate.

He'll have to back away from his pro-choice views, but he has already done that.

I don't know. I really wouldn't be shocked if he launched a presidential bid at the end of the year IF he wins the Senate race.
Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 04:44:11 pm »
Ignore

haha, he could lose reelection in his home state and win the presidency at the same time

this is real
redcommander
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 04:49:06 pm »
Ignore

I don't think he would. He would probably stay in Senate a little longer if he manages to win reelection in 2012, and might then possibly consider it.
Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 04:57:49 pm »
Ignore

I don't think he would. He would probably stay in Senate a little longer if he manages to win reelection in 2012, and might then possibly consider it.

If he is smart he will retire from the Senate in 2012 and then run for Governor in 2014 if Patrick has won reelection or Cahil or Baker only serve one term. If dems are smart they will run someone like Martin Meehan who can rally the base and win back any lost indies and even some Republicans. That would drive Brown out of the race for sure to avoid defeat.

Brown did not enter this race to be Senator he has his sites on the Governorship in 2014 in my opinion and this was just to raise his profile and get his favorables up. Well he has 60% favorability and is now well know in the state and even among the political class around the country.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

GLPman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 05:01:50 pm »
Ignore

Obviously, I'm a Democrat. And I think the odds are that Coakley will win the Massachusetts Senate race. (Certainly, I hope she does.)

Still, if Brown actually wins, am I crazy to think he may decide to run for president in 2012?

I mean, the odds will be very much against him winning reelection in 2012 when you'd get full Democratic turnout for a presidential race.

The Republican presidential field for 2012, however, is fairly weak, with nobody the base is really that excited about. Naked pictures notwithstanding, Brown could, at least on paper, be a more appealing candidate than some of the other Republicans running. And even though Mitt Romney is FROM Massachusetts, Brown could likely get more grassroots support.

Meanwhile, he'll get boatloads of press for winning a Senate seat in Massachusetts, could likely be a major presence on FOX News, etc. And he could compare his experience with Obama's - longtime state senator with a short tenure in the U.S. Senate.

He'll have to back away from his pro-choice views, but he has already done that.

I don't know. I really wouldn't be shocked if he launched a presidential bid at the end of the year IF he wins the Senate race.

I was thinking about this subject the other day and I think it's definitely a possibility. The latest poll has Brown ahead of Coakley by one point, 48% to 47% (granted, 6% were undecided): http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_MA_45398436.pdf

I agree with you that If Brown does win, he will definitely get tons of publicity. If he's successful as a Senator, he definitely has a chance of running in 2016, but 2012 seems to early and he'd be relatively inexperienced. Republicans should nominate someone more experienced in 2012 if they want a shot at getting the White House back. As I said, though, if Brown has a successful time as Senator and can survive until 2016, I think he definitely could be a 2016 candidate.

Poundingtherock
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 05:13:15 pm »
Ignore

"nobody the base is really that excited about."

Yes, the "base" is not excited about Romney, Pawlenty, and etc. but I would argue it is excited about Palin, Thune, etc.
pragmatic liberal
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 05:23:53 pm »
Ignore

I was thinking about this subject the other day and I think it's definitely a possibility. The latest poll has Brown ahead of Coakley by one point, 48% to 47% (granted, 6% were undecided): http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_MA_45398436.pdf

I agree with you that If Brown does win, he will definitely get tons of publicity. If he's successful as a Senator, he definitely has a chance of running in 2016, but 2012 seems to early and he'd be relatively inexperienced. Republicans should nominate someone more experienced in 2012 if they want a shot at getting the White House back. As I said, though, if Brown has a successful time as Senator and can survive until 2016, I think he definitely could be a 2016 candidate.

The thing is, though I could turn out to be wrong, I *really* don't see how Brown - a fairly conservative Republican, not a liberal one like Weld, Celucci, or pre-2006 Mitt Romney - would be able to win a full Senate term in 2012 given presidential election-level turnout.

With that reality, a 2012 run would make a lot of sense. Worst case scenario, he loses the nomination, but he could still possibly run for governor in 2014 (though a real conservative Republican probably can't win a MA governor's race).
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
YaBB God
Czech Republic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 05:56:28 pm »
Ignore

I'm not sure....

http://brownforussenate.com/issues

Abortion
While this decision should ultimately be made by the woman in consultation with her doctor, I believe we need to reduce the number of abortions in America. I believe government has the responsibility to regulate in this area and I support parental consent and notification requirements and I oppose partial birth abortion. I also believe there are people of good will on both sides of the issue and we ought to work together to support and promote adoption as an alternative to abortion.

Part of the reason why I'm not so enthusiastic over Brown....

Clearly the solution is to privatize presidential elections.

So, in less than four years, get excited for the 2016 MetLife Financial U Pick The Prez Extravaganza. If you tweet a picture of your completed ballot with the hashtag #ivoted, you could win a trip for two to the inauguration or an iTunes gift card.
Speaker Perez
Alex A. Perez
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 12:16:13 am »
Ignore

if scott even decides to run it will be in 2016

Speaker of the House of American Patriotism Alex Perez
IDS Judicial Overlord PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 02:32:33 am »
Ignore

It would be awkward for the GOP to nominate Brown, given that Republicans attacked Obama for being inexperienced in 2008.

Swedish Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 06:21:26 am »
Ignore

It would be awkward for the GOP to nominate Brown, given that Republicans attacked Obama for being inexperienced in 2008.

Not more akward than Palin

Franzl
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 07:53:35 am »
Ignore

I'm not sure....

http://brownforussenate.com/issues

Abortion
While this decision should ultimately be made by the woman in consultation with her doctor, I believe we need to reduce the number of abortions in America. I believe government has the responsibility to regulate in this area and I support parental consent and notification requirements and I oppose partial birth abortion. I also believe there are people of good will on both sides of the issue and we ought to work together to support and promote adoption as an alternative to abortion.

Part of the reason why I'm not so enthusiastic over Brown....

From your perspective, I can't see why you wouldn't support him. Any senator from Massachusetts is going to support abortion rights.

So would you rather have the pro-choice Republican that blocks healthcare and cap-and-trade, or would you rather have the pro-choice Democrat that supports those things?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 01:18:05 pm »
Ignore

Well, it's about as reasonable as Gary Johnson for President.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
YaBB God
United States

P
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 05:31:45 pm »
Ignore

The thing is, though I could turn out to be wrong, I *really* don't see how Brown - a fairly conservative Republican, not a liberal one like Weld, Celucci, or pre-2006 Mitt Romney - would be able to win a full Senate term in 2012 given presidential election-level turnout.

With that reality, a 2012 run would make a lot of sense. Worst case scenario, he loses the nomination, but he could still possibly run for governor in 2014 (though a real conservative Republican probably can't win a MA governor's race).

Brown's seat was held by a liberal lesbian before he won it in 2003. He was never expected to be able to hold it, but he is probably one of the hardest working campaigners in the country. He shakes hands with everyone, shows up to every event, responds to emails personally. While that will be harder if he is a Senator, this is a state that is used to be being ignored by both its Governors(Weld, Celluci, Romney, Patrick) and its other Senator(Kerry). Don't underestimate what effect an extraordinarily hard-working senator might have on the state's electorate.
anonymiad
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 12:30:40 pm »
Ignore

If he is smart he will retire from the Senate in 2012 and then run for Governor in 2014 if Patrick has won reelection or Cahil or Baker only serve one term. If dems are smart they will run someone like Martin Meehan who can rally the base and win back any lost indies and even some Republicans. That would drive Brown out of the race for sure to avoid defeat.

Brown did not enter this race to be Senator he has his sites on the Governorship in 2014 in my opinion and this was just to raise his profile and get his favorables up. Well he has 60% favorability and is now well know in the state and even among the political class around the country.

I don't think this assessment is realistic. If Brown wants to run for governor, he'd have to be the most liberal member of the Republican caucus by a wide margin. Brown might want to run for governor in 2014, but I think his chances will be better if he loses next week.

As for Brown for president, no, though if Huckabee or Barbour gets the nomination, he might be in with a shot for veep. (And if he's reelected in 2012 he could run in 2016.)
A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 1.13

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 07:05:09 pm »
Ignore

no, way too early. 2016 yes, depending on who's in the white house, the VP, etc.

SirNick
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 08:11:43 pm »
Ignore

2012 is too early, but whoever mentioned the gubernatorial race probably is right on. I can definitely see Brown running for Pres in 2016 or 2020.

2012 is a little too close.

The guy certainly looks Presidential.
Verily
Cuivienen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 08:19:01 pm »
Ignore

Surely the nude centerfold would hurt him a lot more nationally than in MA. Just sayin'.
Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 10:24:29 pm »
Ignore

Surely the nude centerfold would hurt him a lot more nationally than in MA. Just sayin'.

I doubt it.  He's a man, and there's a double standard.

Anyway.  This talk is ridiculous.

Mr Moderate at 54/10 is a total joke, he is a horror.

I think it is very possible that Vladimir Putin could be the Antichrist.  That is nothing more than an educated guess on my part.
Bo
Rochambeau
YaBB God
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 01:47:12 am »
Ignore

Maybe later on, but not in 2012.

Psychic Octopus
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 01:53:38 am »
Ignore

Not in 2012, but the man is certainly Presidential timber. However, if we elect Romney in 2012, I can't see Brown having another shot.

Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 02:22:52 am »
Ignore

Probably helps him or anything, he is SMOKIN' in that picture.

this is real
Bo
Rochambeau
YaBB God
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 02:29:38 am »
Ignore

Even though I'm straight, I totally agree.

Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010, 03:02:15 am »
Ignore

I'm straight too, but it's a classy picture.  It's nude in all of the good ways but none of the bad ones by not having an ugly 'ole penis flopping around mid-picture.

this is real
Psychic Octopus
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 03:04:18 am »
Ignore

Even though I'm straight, I totally agree.

He'd win women.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout