Scott Brown for president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:17:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Scott Brown for president?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Scott Brown for president?  (Read 8280 times)
pragmatic liberal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2010, 04:39:17 PM »

Obviously, I'm a Democrat. And I think the odds are that Coakley will win the Massachusetts Senate race. (Certainly, I hope she does.)

Still, if Brown actually wins, am I crazy to think he may decide to run for president in 2012?

I mean, the odds will be very much against him winning reelection in 2012 when you'd get full Democratic turnout for a presidential race.

The Republican presidential field for 2012, however, is fairly weak, with nobody the base is really that excited about. Naked pictures notwithstanding, Brown could, at least on paper, be a more appealing candidate than some of the other Republicans running. And even though Mitt Romney is FROM Massachusetts, Brown could likely get more grassroots support.

Meanwhile, he'll get boatloads of press for winning a Senate seat in Massachusetts, could likely be a major presence on FOX News, etc. And he could compare his experience with Obama's - longtime state senator with a short tenure in the U.S. Senate.

He'll have to back away from his pro-choice views, but he has already done that.

I don't know. I really wouldn't be shocked if he launched a presidential bid at the end of the year IF he wins the Senate race.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 04:44:11 PM »

haha, he could lose reelection in his home state and win the presidency at the same time

redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 04:49:06 PM »

I don't think he would. He would probably stay in Senate a little longer if he manages to win reelection in 2012, and might then possibly consider it.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 04:57:49 PM »

I don't think he would. He would probably stay in Senate a little longer if he manages to win reelection in 2012, and might then possibly consider it.

If he is smart he will retire from the Senate in 2012 and then run for Governor in 2014 if Patrick has won reelection or Cahil or Baker only serve one term. If dems are smart they will run someone like Martin Meehan who can rally the base and win back any lost indies and even some Republicans. That would drive Brown out of the race for sure to avoid defeat.

Brown did not enter this race to be Senator he has his sites on the Governorship in 2014 in my opinion and this was just to raise his profile and get his favorables up. Well he has 60% favorability and is now well know in the state and even among the political class around the country.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 05:01:50 PM »

Obviously, I'm a Democrat. And I think the odds are that Coakley will win the Massachusetts Senate race. (Certainly, I hope she does.)

Still, if Brown actually wins, am I crazy to think he may decide to run for president in 2012?

I mean, the odds will be very much against him winning reelection in 2012 when you'd get full Democratic turnout for a presidential race.

The Republican presidential field for 2012, however, is fairly weak, with nobody the base is really that excited about. Naked pictures notwithstanding, Brown could, at least on paper, be a more appealing candidate than some of the other Republicans running. And even though Mitt Romney is FROM Massachusetts, Brown could likely get more grassroots support.

Meanwhile, he'll get boatloads of press for winning a Senate seat in Massachusetts, could likely be a major presence on FOX News, etc. And he could compare his experience with Obama's - longtime state senator with a short tenure in the U.S. Senate.

He'll have to back away from his pro-choice views, but he has already done that.

I don't know. I really wouldn't be shocked if he launched a presidential bid at the end of the year IF he wins the Senate race.

I was thinking about this subject the other day and I think it's definitely a possibility. The latest poll has Brown ahead of Coakley by one point, 48% to 47% (granted, 6% were undecided): http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_MA_45398436.pdf

I agree with you that If Brown does win, he will definitely get tons of publicity. If he's successful as a Senator, he definitely has a chance of running in 2016, but 2012 seems to early and he'd be relatively inexperienced. Republicans should nominate someone more experienced in 2012 if they want a shot at getting the White House back. As I said, though, if Brown has a successful time as Senator and can survive until 2016, I think he definitely could be a 2016 candidate.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 05:13:15 PM »

"nobody the base is really that excited about."

Yes, the "base" is not excited about Romney, Pawlenty, and etc. but I would argue it is excited about Palin, Thune, etc.
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 05:23:53 PM »

I was thinking about this subject the other day and I think it's definitely a possibility. The latest poll has Brown ahead of Coakley by one point, 48% to 47% (granted, 6% were undecided): http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_MA_45398436.pdf

I agree with you that If Brown does win, he will definitely get tons of publicity. If he's successful as a Senator, he definitely has a chance of running in 2016, but 2012 seems to early and he'd be relatively inexperienced. Republicans should nominate someone more experienced in 2012 if they want a shot at getting the White House back. As I said, though, if Brown has a successful time as Senator and can survive until 2016, I think he definitely could be a 2016 candidate.

The thing is, though I could turn out to be wrong, I *really* don't see how Brown - a fairly conservative Republican, not a liberal one like Weld, Celucci, or pre-2006 Mitt Romney - would be able to win a full Senate term in 2012 given presidential election-level turnout.

With that reality, a 2012 run would make a lot of sense. Worst case scenario, he loses the nomination, but he could still possibly run for governor in 2014 (though a real conservative Republican probably can't win a MA governor's race).
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 05:56:28 PM »

I'm not sure....

http://brownforussenate.com/issues

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Part of the reason why I'm not so enthusiastic over Brown....
Speaker Perez
Alex A. Perez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 12:16:13 AM »

if scott even decides to run it will be in 2016
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 02:32:33 AM »

It would be awkward for the GOP to nominate Brown, given that Republicans attacked Obama for being inexperienced in 2008.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 06:21:26 AM »

It would be awkward for the GOP to nominate Brown, given that Republicans attacked Obama for being inexperienced in 2008.

Not more akward than Palin
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 07:53:35 AM »

I'm not sure....

http://brownforussenate.com/issues

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Part of the reason why I'm not so enthusiastic over Brown....

From your perspective, I can't see why you wouldn't support him. Any senator from Massachusetts is going to support abortion rights.

So would you rather have the pro-choice Republican that blocks healthcare and cap-and-trade, or would you rather have the pro-choice Democrat that supports those things?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 01:18:05 PM »

Well, it's about as reasonable as Gary Johnson for President.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 05:31:45 PM »

The thing is, though I could turn out to be wrong, I *really* don't see how Brown - a fairly conservative Republican, not a liberal one like Weld, Celucci, or pre-2006 Mitt Romney - would be able to win a full Senate term in 2012 given presidential election-level turnout.

With that reality, a 2012 run would make a lot of sense. Worst case scenario, he loses the nomination, but he could still possibly run for governor in 2014 (though a real conservative Republican probably can't win a MA governor's race).

Brown's seat was held by a liberal lesbian before he won it in 2003. He was never expected to be able to hold it, but he is probably one of the hardest working campaigners in the country. He shakes hands with everyone, shows up to every event, responds to emails personally. While that will be harder if he is a Senator, this is a state that is used to be being ignored by both its Governors(Weld, Celluci, Romney, Patrick) and its other Senator(Kerry). Don't underestimate what effect an extraordinarily hard-working senator might have on the state's electorate.
anonymiad
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 12:30:40 PM »

If he is smart he will retire from the Senate in 2012 and then run for Governor in 2014 if Patrick has won reelection or Cahil or Baker only serve one term. If dems are smart they will run someone like Martin Meehan who can rally the base and win back any lost indies and even some Republicans. That would drive Brown out of the race for sure to avoid defeat.

Brown did not enter this race to be Senator he has his sites on the Governorship in 2014 in my opinion and this was just to raise his profile and get his favorables up. Well he has 60% favorability and is now well know in the state and even among the political class around the country.

I don't think this assessment is realistic. If Brown wants to run for governor, he'd have to be the most liberal member of the Republican caucus by a wide margin. Brown might want to run for governor in 2014, but I think his chances will be better if he loses next week.

As for Brown for president, no, though if Huckabee or Barbour gets the nomination, he might be in with a shot for veep. (And if he's reelected in 2012 he could run in 2016.)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 07:05:09 PM »

no, way too early. 2016 yes, depending on who's in the white house, the VP, etc.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 08:11:43 PM »

2012 is too early, but whoever mentioned the gubernatorial race probably is right on. I can definitely see Brown running for Pres in 2016 or 2020.

2012 is a little too close.

The guy certainly looks Presidential.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 08:19:01 PM »

Surely the nude centerfold would hurt him a lot more nationally than in MA. Just sayin'.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 10:24:29 PM »

Surely the nude centerfold would hurt him a lot more nationally than in MA. Just sayin'.

I doubt it.  He's a man, and there's a double standard.

Anyway.  This talk is ridiculous.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 01:47:12 AM »

Maybe later on, but not in 2012.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 01:53:38 AM »

Not in 2012, but the man is certainly Presidential timber. However, if we elect Romney in 2012, I can't see Brown having another shot.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 02:22:52 AM »

Probably helps him or anything, he is SMOKIN' in that picture.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 02:29:38 AM »

Even though I'm straight, I totally agree.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010, 03:02:15 AM »

I'm straight too, but it's a classy picture.  It's nude in all of the good ways but none of the bad ones by not having an ugly 'ole penis flopping around mid-picture.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 03:04:18 AM »

Even though I'm straight, I totally agree.

He'd win women.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies