How did you meet your significant other?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:13:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How did you meet your significant other?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How did you meet your significant other?  (Read 1668 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2010, 11:03:42 AM »

Assuming you have one or recently had one?
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 11:22:15 AM »

I thought we already had this kind of a thread. Huh
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 12:16:42 PM »

Don't touch old wounds!
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 12:32:26 PM »

Don't have one.  Don't need one.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 12:34:26 PM »

correct. But one day you will.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 12:47:29 PM »

Wow you're mean! 
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 12:50:51 PM »

All I was saying is that you never need a significant other. We generally want one. And one day he will have one. It is very important to distinguish need from want here. it is part of a healthy relationship.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 12:59:11 PM »

I don't give a damn about "healthy" or "unhealthy" relationships, I don't want both
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 01:00:24 PM »

All I was saying is that you never need a significant other. We generally want one. And one day he will have one. It is very important to distinguish need from want here. it is part of a healthy relationship.

Well, I'm not interested in relationships.  I generally value what little solitude I have, and if I were to meet a nice girl I would see no need to be anything more than friends.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 01:13:03 PM »

Well, I'm not interested in relationships.  I generally value what little solitude I have, and if I were to meet a nice girl I would see no need to be anything more than friends.
Roll Eyes that is what you say now. just you wait.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 01:15:36 PM »

Annie, why the hell are you assuming that everyone would get into a solid relationship.

Most of people surely, but please notice there are people who remain single.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 01:18:08 PM »

Annie, why the hell are you assuming that everyone would get into a solid relationship.

I won't give up hope buddy. The ones who remain single don't want to be single. They just give up. I wont give up on you either chris. Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 01:19:12 PM »

I won't give up hope buddy. The ones who remain single don't want to be single. They just give up. I wont give up on you either chris. Smiley

That;s not true, Annie. Some people don't fit this model. Don't be such a moralf****t
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 01:21:44 PM »

That;s not true, Annie. Some people don't fit this model. Don't be such a moralf****t
Kind of hard since it is my middle name. I wont give up. I know people who were like you but then whoops they got married and are happily married.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 01:22:52 PM »

Kind of hard since it is my middle name. I wont give up. I know people who were like you but then whoops they got married and are happily married.

True, but that's not an universal rule.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 01:23:43 PM »

True, but that's not an universal rule.
sure, but I will always hope and believe.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 02:17:30 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2010, 02:20:41 PM by Bacon Veep »

The girl I'm "dating" (it's explicitly an open relationship based on our mutual lack of desire for physical commitment, yet we are extremely close emotionally and most people are very surprised when they first learn about the nature of our relationship) I actually first met when she was a homosexual fraternity brother's platonic "date" for our spring formal in Panama City Beach. I was dating another girl at the time (and that entire relationship was a horrible idea, but that's another story entirely).

She apparently liked me as soon as she met me but I was mostly oblivious to the signs and thought it was simply harmless friendly flirting. Over the summer, my "horrible idea" relationship became a flaming train wreck, and that girl and I haven't talked to since- but again, that's another story entirely.

Around that point, me and my current girlfriend started talking. I called her on the phone for her birthday, and she was there for me when I needed to rant while I was getting over my ex. Eventually, however, after several weeks of that impromptu friendship, I became genuinely attracted to her, and she told me that she felt the same way and had felt like that ever since she knew me.

She lived in New York and I in Georgia, but we telephoned and skyped pretty often. In the month before school we communicated clearly our intentions to be close but also our reservations about entering a relationship. She loves flirting and getting attention from guys at bars (free drinks for her!) and I find it extremely difficult not to sleep around when given the opportunity. We communicated our feelings- we both wanted strongly to be close to each other- and realized we'd have to try something different.

Once we got back to Tulane everything clicked perfectly. We loved spending time together. The first night back we talked and I mentioned the idea of the "open relationship" where we would have all the emotional attachment without any of the exclusivity (note that I wasn't really sure it's what an "open relationship" actually is, but that's what the closest facebook relationship status is so that's what we call it!). She agreed, and we've happily been together now for six months and going. Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 02:22:30 PM »

I am far too Judeo-Christianized to be able to do that, though I envy you.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 03:09:15 PM »

I dunno if religious/cultural beliefs really have anything to do with it. I was a devout Christian until age 16 and she's a semi-observant Jew. Really, the only "trick" is to know to let go of one's petty and senseless jealousy. Neither of us are at all jealous people, and that I think is why the arrangement has worked so especially well.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 03:20:14 PM »

I dunno if religious/cultural beliefs really have anything to do with it. I was a devout Christian until age 16 and she's a semi-observant Jew. Really, the only "trick" is to know to let go of one's petty and senseless jealousy. Neither of us are at all jealous people, and that I think is why the arrangement has worked so especially well.

same thing, isn't it?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 04:05:48 PM »

Moody Bible Institute, Centennial class of 1986.

Ironically, though, we never dated until after graduation. 21 years, plus...she's still the best thing that ever happened to me...even though I relish ragging on her about being the old ball & chain...
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 07:08:53 PM »

Unahsmaed to say it was on 'teh internets.' We were having a laugh at our own misfortune and the perils of the gay 'scene' when we ended up meeting for coffee. That was 5 years ago. I fell in love with him and we kissed when he was making me dinner Tongue
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 07:10:03 PM »

Unahsmaed to say it was on 'teh internets.' We were having a laugh at our own misfortune and the perils of the gay 'scene' when we ended up meeting for coffee. That was 5 years ago. I fell in love with him and we kissed when he was making me dinner Tongue
awwww Cry beautiful, just beautiful.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 07:30:03 PM »

She loves flirting and getting attention from guys at bars (free drinks for her!) and I find it extremely difficult not to sleep around when given the opportunity.

Oh what a match.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 08:41:52 PM »

She loves flirting and getting attention from guys at bars (free drinks for her!) and I find it extremely difficult not to sleep around when given the opportunity.

Oh what a match.

I beg your pardon?

Don't get the wrong impression- it's not like we're two selfish hedonists. The "open" aspect isn't even that big of a deal most of the time. It's just the arrangement that works.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies