Did I go to a "liberal" high school?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:25:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Did I go to a "liberal" high school?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Did I go to a "liberal" high school?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Did I go to a "liberal" high school?  (Read 2697 times)
The Artist Formerly Known As and Now Again Known As Ogis
agooji

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 11:48:15 PM »

We'll see, now won't me. I'll accept any judgment which is bestowed upon me.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 11:50:13 PM »

well I hope you stay.
The Artist Formerly Known As and Now Again Known As Ogis
agooji

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 11:51:42 PM »

well I hope you stay.

I'm glad to hear it.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 12:02:57 AM »

My high school had no bells.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 12:14:43 AM »

1-No Pledge of Allegiance.
2-Completely open campus. No classes, you were free to leave. Just like college really.
3-Not a big deal even if you did skip class. You could do that up to two times a semester before there was any consequences besides being required to take the final. That's right, if you had no unexcused absences the final was option and wouldn't count if it lowered your grade.
4-No uniforms, lax dress code, and not really enforced.
5-Pop machines everywhere on campus.
6-No idiocy about suspending students for bringing Aspirin or Swiss Army Knives.
7-No insane authoritarian rules about only being allowed to go to your locker between certain periods or having to pay for your lunch before classes instead of at lunch like in middle school.

1 - Ditto
2 - At my high school, there were very few people who didn't have classes at all hours of the day.  But if you didn't, you could leave.  They did lock the gates so that you couldn't drive out, but if you wanted to leave you just got around that by parking your car on the street outside the school.  Tongue
3 - They were pretty strict about attendance at my school for certain classes, but there was good practical reason for that.  Other classes - not so much.  Might have actually been more lenient.  Finals were not optional except for last semester if you had an 85 or above in said class.
4 - Ditto
5 - Ditto
6 - Ditto
7 - Ditto.  Didn't have any of that stuff in middle school either, but I did go to parochial school then.

Actually, I'm willing to bet my high school was a lot more "liberal" than yours was on almost everything (as if I really care).
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2010, 12:40:48 AM »

I guess yes.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2010, 04:29:18 AM »

what an fuucked up school. I am sure you are making it up.

most of the things he mentions actually apply to my high school as well, except for the business about students not being required to take the final if they had no unexcused absences, which, while I would have supported it at the time, now seems way too lax.

2-Completely open campus. No classes, you were free to leave. Just like college really.
3-Not a big deal even if you did skip class. You could do that up to two times a semester before there was any consequences besides being required to take the final. That's right, if you had no unexcused absences the final was option and wouldn't count if it lowered your grade.
6-No idiocy about suspending students for bringing Aspirin or Swiss Army Knives.
7-No insane authoritarian rules about only being allowed to go to your locker between certain periods or having to pay for your lunch before classes instead of at lunch like in middle school.

the bolded portions were true at my high school
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 05:08:16 AM »

We had the pledge read aloud, but nothing would happen if you chose not to recite it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

True at my high school as well.  You could choose to have classes in the morning or the afternoon.

Ours was similar.  If you had fewer than four unexcused absences, and at least a B average, you could skip finals.

Uniforms?  At a public school?  Completely foreign idea here.

We had them on every floor (generally near the stairwells), in the locker rooms, at the school's entrances, in the cafeteria, and on the outside patio.  If you wanted a soda, you wouldn't have walk very far.

Didn't matter in high school; you'd probably be written up at lower levels, though.

I've never heard of any of that.

So, 6 of the 7 are true here, too. 
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 12:06:55 PM »

The fact that someone can ask for a "Coke" when they want a lemon-lime flavored soda makes my brain melt.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 01:00:24 PM »

We had 5 and 7.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 01:07:58 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2010, 01:14:39 PM by memphis »

I'm quite amazed since it was such a conservative area. However my high school wasn't the authoritarian hellhole I hear of others being.

I'm surprised really.
While numbers 2 and 3 do strike me as being rather lax, most of these conditions merely underscore that it has been about a decade since you were in high school. Times have changed!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 06:42:13 PM »

I'm saying that our school's elitists are conservative

At Monta Vista?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 11:31:37 PM »

I'm quite amazed since it was such a conservative area. However my high school wasn't the authoritarian hellhole I hear of others being.

I'm surprised really.
While numbers 2 and 3 do strike me as being rather lax, most of these conditions merely underscore that it has been about a decade since you were in high school. Times have changed!

The Pledge of Allegiance has gotten more common?
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 11:34:03 PM »

Yeah Red, memphis is right other than the first 2 my school was 'cool' just like yours.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 11:37:55 PM »

Yeah Red, memphis is right other than the first 2 my school was 'cool' just like yours.

Same here.

What gives, Red?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies