Are you pleased with Hamilton's banning?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:26:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are you pleased with Hamilton's banning?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: ....
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Are you pleased with Hamilton's banning?  (Read 9290 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2010, 01:33:07 AM »

Given the fact that you have so much knowledge that I don't, how would you expect me to think differently? All I can know is what I've read from his posts.

Hence why I didn't intend for my post to be taken as offensive or patronizing.  It's not your fault you guys don't know the full story with Hamilton and his buddies.

Apparently there was an issue with him abusing the reporting system, and obviously I can't speak to that. What I do know is that often he would post things that were not at all outside the bounds of what is acceptable and people would jump on him immediately.

Actually, there were numerous posts of his that were reported for very legitimate reasons, and of course were quickly deleted (and not just because he happened to be on the TrollList).  He tried to aggravate the situation by going on a post-reporting spree himself (many of which were fairly innocuous), but primarily because he felt there was some kind of double standard.  Hence why he was abusing the system.

How often has Dave himself actually posted his views on a particular poster, aimed directly at the offender?  That should tell you something if nothing else does.

Of course most people wouldn't provide any hard evidence when continuously rambling about his apparently unspeakable and evil behavior. They had a view of him, and they would pick apart any little thing he said in order to make him fit that view.

Given the fact that quite a few other posters also feel that he shouldn't have been banned, the case either isn't as clear cut as you make it out to be, or he did things that only a few people would know about.

Indeed, he and his friends have played you very well.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2010, 01:33:48 AM »

Well, the mods are already going after Libertas (he's been warned for empty-quoting and making a thread similar to a Rochambeau thread, his was deleted, Rochambeau's wasn't). I think I'm next. This is going way too far.
after you it is me. Sad

Actually I've seen no indication that you're even under scrutiny right now.  Why do you have this impression?
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2010, 01:47:59 AM »

Abusing the reporting system? I'm not sure how that could be unless Hamilton reported every post no matter what. Empty quote is mod-worthy yet I see dozens of empty quotes a day.

i've seen the posts you guys consider mod worthy (Libertas' forwarded me Leip's PM).

Tolerance is not applied equally, for whatever reasons.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2010, 01:58:49 AM »

No I'm not at all. He wasn't a troll, the moderators just decided they didn't like him. The clique-ish behavior of most of the posters here is pretty ridiculous. Having positions you dislike or choosing to express them in a way that doesn't really violate any concrete rules doesn't mean someone is a troll. Even if he called someone an idiot in the midst of a discussion, that doesn't count as trolling, and calling it a personal attack is a stretch. A lot of what he wrote was satirical or an attempt to stir the pot, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Unfortunately the mods around here are the posters least able to grasp humor that doesn't line up with their point of view. Once they labeled him a troll, every post he made was regarded as trollish. There was no way for him to defend himself without digging a deeper hole with people he was never going to catch a break from.

You're the definition of a troll. You spam, create ridiculous threads, and your early behavior should have gotten you banned within being here a few days.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.  I honestly don't intend that to seem patronizing, but your post and the full story (which most people don't know) really don't have much in common.

Given the fact that you have so much knowledge that I don't, how would you expect me to think differently? All I can know is what I've read from his posts. Apparently there was an issue with him abusing the reporting system, and obviously I can't speak to that. What I do know is that often he would post things that were not at all outside the bounds of what is acceptable and people would jump on him immediately. Of course most people wouldn't provide any hard evidence when continuously rambling about his apparently unspeakable and evil behavior. They had a view of him, and they would pick apart any little thing he said in order to make him fit that view.

Given the fact that quite a few other posters also feel that he shouldn't have been banned, the case either isn't as clear cut as you make it out to be, or he did things that only a few people would know about.

Where do I begin? You are horribly ill-informed, so I don't want to seem like I am patronizing you either, but that is not what was going on at all. Most of the posts in which Hamilton spammed and attacked were deleted, so of course you didn't see them. He would routinely engage in character assassinations, personal attacks, questioning some kids' sexuality in a thread about him losing a friends, etc, etc, etc... the list goes on. He was given so, so many chances to change, and each time, he just did the opposite. Of course he was trying to get banned, and it was a joke how long it took this forum to get rid of him.

In regards to people upset with his banning, he had a loyal following of other spammers, trolls and the like, which backed him up in every thread where it was necessary, engaging in the same tactics he did, but with less vitriol. Even now, he is instructing one of his followers to do as he says. He's a guy that preys on kids that are looking for someone to tell them what to do, and kids with low self-esteem. That is his game. Things he did were not in the bounds of forum rules. Maybe what you saw were, but much of what he actually posted was deleted.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2010, 02:01:09 AM »

How is your post not character assassination, Senator Duke?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2010, 02:02:16 AM »

Abusing the reporting system? I'm not sure how that could be unless Hamilton reported every post no matter what. Empty quote is mod-worthy yet I see dozens of empty quotes a day.

i've seen the posts you guys consider mod worthy (Libertas' forwarded me Leip's PM).

From what I heard, Hamilton began reporting any post that may be taken the least bit offensive, essentially mocking the system. For example, I was told he reported one when someone said "that's crazy!" in a playful was as being a personal attack. The list goes on.

Well, the mods are already going after Libertas (he's been warned for empty-quoting and making a thread similar to a Rochambeau thread, his was deleted, Rochambeau's wasn't). I think I'm next. This is going way too far.

Libertas contributes nothing to this place except to be Hamilton's most ardent defender. He even defends the kid when he doesn't need to. He also gets way too personal, and spews out insane statements from time to time.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2010, 02:03:19 AM »

I'm not playing, segwaystyle. Have a nice night. Smiley
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2010, 02:10:59 AM »

No I'm not at all. He wasn't a troll, the moderators just decided they didn't like him. The clique-ish behavior of most of the posters here is pretty ridiculous. Having positions you dislike or choosing to express them in a way that doesn't really violate any concrete rules doesn't mean someone is a troll. Even if he called someone an idiot in the midst of a discussion, that doesn't count as trolling, and calling it a personal attack is a stretch. A lot of what he wrote was satirical or an attempt to stir the pot, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Unfortunately the mods around here are the posters least able to grasp humor that doesn't line up with their point of view. Once they labeled him a troll, every post he made was regarded as trollish. There was no way for him to defend himself without digging a deeper hole with people he was never going to catch a break from.

You're the definition of a troll. You spam, create ridiculous threads, and your early behavior should have gotten you banned within being here a few days.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.  I honestly don't intend that to seem patronizing, but your post and the full story (which most people don't know) really don't have much in common.

Given the fact that you have so much knowledge that I don't, how would you expect me to think differently? All I can know is what I've read from his posts. Apparently there was an issue with him abusing the reporting system, and obviously I can't speak to that. What I do know is that often he would post things that were not at all outside the bounds of what is acceptable and people would jump on him immediately. Of course most people wouldn't provide any hard evidence when continuously rambling about his apparently unspeakable and evil behavior. They had a view of him, and they would pick apart any little thing he said in order to make him fit that view.

There's a good chance you missed his really bad posts because they all got deleted. I actually was wondering what was the big deal with him myself and didn't really pay attention to him until he started his extremely creepy obsession with me which came out of nowhere. I remember him personally attacking you as well. Also keep in mind one of the reasons for this was his abuse of the reporting system, where he would just endlessly report non-offensive posts from people he didn't like. Not to mention his faux outrage and clear spam about the name "n" on The Atlas thread. It's deleted now of course.

Also I'm reading your posts paraphrased as roughly "He wasn't trolling, he was just saying stupid things to piss people off and get a reaction." Duh, that's exactly what trolling is! What's the difference between trolling and "stirring the pot"? Furthermore when the mods confronted him about it, he didn't even really deny it, his only defense was basically "Well so-and-so is just as bad."

*reads up thread* oh wow, DUKE actually basically said just what I did! When Duke thinks someone like that (basically the same archetype as him, douchey frat boy) is bad and needs to be banned, that's saying something...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2010, 02:14:03 AM »

It may or not be, but the most important fact is that IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE APPLIED EQUALLY.  This isn't the steps of City Hall, this is Dave Leip's backyard, he gets to make all the rules.  They don't have to be fair.  You (and I) don't get any say in the matter.  You are more than free to go make your own forum with your own rules.  There is no protected speech here.  If you don't like it, you don't have to keep coming back.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2010, 02:18:36 AM »

It may or not be, but the most important fact is that IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE APPLIED EQUALLY.  This isn't the steps of City Hall, this is Dave Leip's backyard, he gets to make all the rules.  They don't have to be fair.  You (and I) don't get any say in the matter.  You are more than free to go make your own forum with your own rules.  There is no protected speech here.  If you don't like it, you don't have to keep coming back.

We've had our own forum for a while now, and the quality of discussion is exceptional. You'd like it better there.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2010, 02:19:24 AM »

We've had our own forum for a while now, and the quality of discussion is exceptional. You'd like it better there.

If it's better there, then why do you care about here?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2010, 02:20:05 AM »

You got a mouse in your pocket?  Or a link?
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2010, 02:20:09 AM »

Where do I begin? You are horribly ill-informed, so I don't want to seem like I am patronizing you either, but that is not what was going on at all. Most of the posts in which Hamilton spammed and attacked were deleted, so of course you didn't see them. He would routinely engage in character assassinations, personal attacks, questioning some kids' sexuality in a thread about him losing a friends, etc, etc, etc... the list goes on. He was given so, so many chances to change, and each time, he just did the opposite. Of course he was trying to get banned, and it was a joke how long it took this forum to get rid of him.

In regards to people upset with his banning, he had a loyal following of other spammers, trolls and the like, which backed him up in every thread where it was necessary, engaging in the same tactics he did, but with less vitriol. Even now, he is instructing one of his followers to do as he says. He's a guy that preys on kids that are looking for someone to tell them what to do, and kids with low self-esteem. That is his game. Things he did were not in the bounds of forum rules. Maybe what you saw were, but much of what he actually posted was deleted.

Like I said before, I don't know what I don't see. If his offenses were deleted, then obviously I wouldn't know what they are. From what I saw, it was unwarranted, but if the mods and Dave want him banned then that's the way it goes. As was said earlier, this isn't a democracy.

I don't really know if cutie 15, dallasfan65, Eraserhead, Mint, Giovanni, and Mechaman are really "spammers" or "trolls", and they've said they disagreed with it on this thread. Of course they could have missed the bad things Hamilton did if they were deleted, or maybe they didn't feel that even those things were bad enough to warrant his banning. In any event, Hamilton is gone, and this is pretty much over with.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2010, 02:21:28 AM »

I think we all know why I'm here-- to support Gary Johnson and give his supporters a presence in the online political world and additionally add to that support group by making convincing arguments in favor of liberty within the Republican Party.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2010, 02:23:55 AM »

Like I said before, I don't know what I don't see. If his offenses were deleted, then obviously I wouldn't know what they are. From what I saw, it was unwarranted, but if the mods and Dave want him banned then that's the way it goes. As was said earlier, this isn't a democracy.

I don't really know if cutie 15, dallasfan65, Eraserhead, Mint, Giovanni, and Mechaman are really "spammers" or "trolls", and they've said they disagreed with it on this thread. Of course they could have missed the bad things Hamilton did if they were deleted, or maybe they didn't feel that even those things were bad enough to warrant his banning. In any event, Hamilton is gone, and this is pretty much over with.

What would you consider posting polls that are word for word identical to ones I posted months ago to be if not trolling? And like I said before, posting just to piss people off or "stir the pot" IS trolling. Those all got deleted though, and I might've reported the straw that broke the camel's back (a particularly nasty personal attack on NC Yankee that I noticed was gone pretty quickly last night.) I doubt I was the only one to report it though.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2010, 02:24:22 AM »

It may or not be, but the most important fact is that IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE APPLIED EQUALLY.  This isn't the steps of City Hall, this is Dave Leip's backyard, he gets to make all the rules.  They don't have to be fair.  You (and I) don't get any say in the matter.  You are more than free to go make your own forum with your own rules.  There is no protected speech here.  If you don't like it, you don't have to keep coming back.

I think we all know why I'm here-- to support Gary Johnson and give his supporters a presence in the online political world and additionally add to that support group by making convincing arguments in favor of liberty within the Republican Party.

So how does that transfer over to you caring whether or not Hamilton is banned?
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2010, 02:25:53 AM »

It may or not be, but the most important fact is that IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE APPLIED EQUALLY.  This isn't the steps of City Hall, this is Dave Leip's backyard, he gets to make all the rules.  They don't have to be fair.  You (and I) don't get any say in the matter.  You are more than free to go make your own forum with your own rules.  There is no protected speech here.  If you don't like it, you don't have to keep coming back.

So how does that transfer over to you caring whether or not Hamilton is banned?

I never said I cared whether or not he was banned. If he isn't at all upset about it, I see no reason for me to be, though some are. The way I see it, it is the circumstances that are troubling, not the poster in particular. The circumstances did not warrant a ban.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2010, 02:28:54 AM »

Leave this joker alone. He's only looking for a fight. If anything he just said was true, we wouldn't have him posting "thoughts" on the psyche of Hamilton or this thread.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2010, 02:31:05 AM »

But the circumstances have no impact on you promoting Gary Johnson.  Oh well - I'm off to bed - I have class in 5 hours.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2010, 02:35:11 AM »

There's a good chance you missed his really bad posts because they all got deleted. I actually was wondering what was the big deal with him myself and didn't really pay attention to him until he started his extremely creepy obsession with me which came out of nowhere. I remember him personally attacking you as well. Also keep in mind one of the reasons for this was his abuse of the reporting system, where he would just endlessly report non-offensive posts from people he didn't like. Not to mention his faux outrage and clear spam about the name "n" on The Atlas thread. It's deleted now of course.

Also I'm reading your posts paraphrased as roughly "He wasn't trolling, he was just saying stupid things to piss people off and get a reaction." Duh, that's exactly what trolling is! What's the difference between trolling and "stirring the pot"? Furthermore when the mods confronted him about it, he didn't even really deny it, his only defense was basically "Well so-and-so is just as bad."

*reads up thread* oh wow, DUKE actually basically said just what I did! When Duke thinks someone like that (basically the same archetype as him, douchey frat boy) is bad and needs to be banned, that's saying something...

I understand I probably missed whatever it was that resulted in this. As for the "stirring the pot" comment, I think that and trolling are different. Stirring the pot doesn't imply that someone is trying to piss someone else off. It just means you make a statement in order to provoke a reaction, not necessarily a bad one. It can be either satirical or a statement or post that merely extends what you believe to an extreme. Trolling is an attempt to piss people off, either by making PERSONAL attacks(I don't think calling someone a moron counts as personal), creating stupid pointless threads and posts that contribute nothing, using the forum to advertise something, or being generally offensive(racist, sexist, etc). I didn't see that from Hamilton, but it could have happened.

Actually out of most of the people here, I trust your judgment so I'll stay out of this from now on.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2010, 02:38:15 AM »

I understand I probably missed whatever it was that resulted in this. As for the "stirring the pot" comment, I think that and trolling are different. Stirring the pot doesn't imply that someone is trying to piss someone else off. It just means you make a statement in order to provoke a reaction, not necessarily a bad one. It can be either satirical or a statement or post that merely extends what you believe to an extreme. Trolling is an attempt to piss people off, either by making PERSONAL attacks(I don't think calling someone a moron counts as personal), creating stupid pointless threads and posts that contribute nothing, using the forum to advertise something, or being generally offensive(racist, sexist, etc). I didn't see that from Hamilton, but it could have happened.

Actually out of most of the people here, I trust your judgment so I'll stay out of this from now on.

Well if you didn't see the bolded stuff from him, then yes you weren't paying attention to him. Still at least you've admitted it could've happened and aren't likely to join his little clique who'll be lobbying to free him all of next week (That being Libertas, Mint and this new guy.)
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2010, 02:40:34 AM »

I'm not "new" if I've been here over 2 months, am I?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2010, 02:43:14 AM »

Why, personal attacks are Duke's specialty.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2010, 02:43:22 AM »

Red I have better things to do with my time than post ad nauseum about things I know will never happen. Hamilton honestly doesn't care, really. He finds all the e-drama and insistence that he's banned for good to be hilarious... Sort of like Straha did.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2010, 02:46:02 AM »

In my defense, I am against Hamilton's banning on the grounds of freedom of speech. I would've been just as outraged if a Neonazi forumer got banned for expressing his opinion as I am over Hamilton. Personally, as much of a jerk I thought Hamilton turned out to be in the last few weeks, the last thing I would've wished on him or anyone else is a banning. Just because this is an internet forum doesn't change my views of free expression, even if I can't stand whoever is saying it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies