Danny Glover Blames Haiti Earthquake on global warming and climate change
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:54:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Danny Glover Blames Haiti Earthquake on global warming and climate change
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Danny Glover Blames Haiti Earthquake on global warming and climate change  (Read 1803 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2010, 01:56:17 PM »

That would depend on where that hypothetical earthquake struck. There are parts of the U.S vulnerable to massive earthquakes which are not in major earthquake zones, you know.

Even in around the massive New Madrid Seismic Zone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone) which has had huge quakes, I doubt they're prepared enough to avoid a massive catastrophe.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 03:05:48 PM »

Global warming and climate change aren't to blame, but instead 200 years of western and especially French punitive debts and racism directed at the island nation, leaving it in poverty and under the rule of corrupt, incompetent leaders.

Not to say France was wonderful, but of course the population of Haiti have nothing to itself in its politico-economical situation? There isn't a corrupter if there isn't a corruptible. If you wanna play that game, we can also speak of the US there, and, yes, of the Haitians themselves, with Jean-Bertrand Aristide they gave their confidence to a guy that screwed them, they let him own them. I'm not sure that always making victim of people in bad shape is a good thing. That said, I'm not saying that to put a blame on them, that's the last thing that I wanna do and that's the last thing they need today, but because you open that game, and with some distance on the event, people may consider this.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 03:13:43 PM »

Please welcome Moron No. 5:

"I also believe this is dividing the nation…to where the nation sees him react so rapidly on Haiti and yet he couldn’t react rapidly on Afghanistan. He couldn’t react rapidly on Ft. Hood. He couldn’t react rapidly on our own airplanes with an underwear bomber…it doesn’t make sense. [...] Three different events and Haiti is the only one. I think personally that it deepens the divide to see him react this rapidly to Haiti." -- Glenn Beck

This country, I swear..
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2010, 04:04:48 PM »

what an idiot.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2010, 04:05:44 PM »

'Celebrity' in saying something stupid shock.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2010, 04:07:40 PM »

Global warming and climate change aren't to blame, but instead 200 years of western and especially French punitive debts and racism directed at the island nation, leaving it in poverty and under the rule of corrupt, incompetent leaders.

Not to say France was wonderful, but of course the population of Haiti have nothing to itself in its politico-economical situation? There isn't a corrupter if there isn't a corruptible. If you wanna play that game, we can also speak of the US there, and, yes, of the Haitians themselves, with Jean-Bertrand Aristide they gave their confidence to a guy that screwed them, they let him own them. I'm not sure that always making victim of people in bad shape is a good thing. That said, I'm not saying that to put a blame on them, that's the last thing that I wanna do and that's the last thing they need today, but because you open that game, and with some distance on the event, people may consider this.

I say that is it especially France's fault because of the punitive embargoes and reparations France forced on Haiti (and already underdeveloped slave island) after its independence:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
source
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2010, 04:29:59 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2010, 04:32:16 PM by Bon écoute, non, [wagon] arrête, hiérarchise... »

I say that is it especially France's fault because of the punitive embargoes and reparations France forced on Haiti (and already underdeveloped slave island) after its independence:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
source

I know, but you can't always blame the past, of course France's behavior harmed them, but 1st we haven' been alone, according to what I've heard from guys who study the question US had their part with the Duvalliers, and 2nd, Haitians gave their trust to a man that fooled them, and harmed them a lot too. Also, I think to this woman there trying to convince people to stop deforestation there, something that harmed them a lot in the natural disasters they experienced recently and that harmed their country a lot.

What I mean is that, we can't sum it up to: all is France's fault, things are a bit more complex, especially for the most recent periods. It isn't serving them to let them in pure victimization I think.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies