When will the United States elect it's first Jewish President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:59:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  When will the United States elect it's first Jewish President?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: When will the United States elect it's first Jewish President?
2012-2024 election

2028-2040 election

2044-2056 election

2060-2072 election

2076-2088 election

2092 or later election

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: When will the United States elect it's first Jewish President?  (Read 7925 times)
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 10:08:55 PM »

The problem is that Jews only make up 2% of the U.S. population, which might shrink to 1% in several decades. Catholics made up 28% of the population in 1960 (and the percentage was around that level for several decades before that). Blacks made up 13% of the population in 2008 (and between 9 and 13% for the preceding several decades). Thus, logistically, it is much harder and takes much longer to elect a Jewish President--there are fewer potential Jewish candidates than for other groups. Of course, Jews are overrepresented in politics, but still. Similarly, I think we will be ready for a gay President in several decades, but it might take much longer than that to get one elected.

There are a lot of ambitious and educated Jewish professionals but since they are such a small part of the population, I would really have to determine whether their motives are simply to obtain power and prestige, or whether they can actually serve the best interests of the everyday average Christian voter.  We are divided by race, and gender in America but a common unifying force that transcends race and gender is religion. 

I would say that Obama connected to many Christian White voters and not just Black Americans, and it helped him win the White House.  I'm not saying its impossible for a non-Christian to connect to other Races and Gender, but its not as easy.  JFK had difficulty convincing non-Catholics and he's been the only Catholic President, yet Catholics are about 30% of the population.

Anti-Catholicism in the United States basically doesn't exist anymore outside a fringe, in no small measure due to Kennedy. In fact, nowadays few people remember that Kennedy was the first Catholic president, even though it was a big deal at the time. When John Kerry ran in 2004, the fact he was seen as not being Catholic enough was a bigger problem than the fact he was Catholic.
milhouse24
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 11:37:43 PM »

I actually think Kerry would have beaten Bush if he was Christian.  Kerry never talked about his religion, but if he was a Christian he could have swayed a lot of Ohio voters.

If there were to be a Jewish President, he would probably have to start as a Jewish Governor and I can't think of any at the moment.

Some of my concerns are that will he/she be Pro-Israel and not put American interests first.  I think this is a serious issue, even for other candidates who are Catholic, Muslim, Asian.  Would they be willing to put America's interest first and put down other countries of their heritage if needed. 

I think all successful candidates need to be a "man/woman of the common people" and be able to make citizens "feel good"  Religion makes it easier to build Trust. 
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 12:51:21 AM »

I actually think Kerry would have beaten Bush if he was Christian.  Kerry never talked about his religion, but if he was a Christian he could have swayed a lot of Ohio voters.

If there were to be a Jewish President, he would probably have to start as a Jewish Governor and I can't think of any at the moment.

Some of my concerns are that will he/she be Pro-Israel and not put American interests first.  I think this is a serious issue, even for other candidates who are Catholic, Muslim, Asian.  Would they be willing to put America's interest first and put down other countries of their heritage if needed. 

I think all successful candidates need to be a "man/woman of the common people" and be able to make citizens "feel good"  Religion makes it easier to build Trust. 

Uh, Kerry was a Christian. Catholicism, together with Protestanism and Orthox Christianity, are different branches of Christianity.
Copperhead
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 11:42:14 AM »

This sort of question is somewhat pointless. A Jewish American president will be elected when there is a charismatic and able Jewish American candidate (or at least more so than his opponents) and it is impossible to predict when.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 01:37:27 AM »

America has survived with freedom of religion, why can't Israel govern by the same policies?

Because it wouldn't be a Jewish state then.

Does it have to be a Jewish state, and therefore non-Jews cannot live within its borders?  That seems pretty extreme and a violation of human rights.  Its also sound fascist.

Well, that's sort of the point of Israel.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2010, 05:13:45 AM »

An impressive number of alarm bells just went off all at once!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2010, 09:47:53 AM »
« Edited: March 09, 2010, 09:58:08 AM by shua »

America has survived with freedom of religion, why can't Israel govern by the same policies?

Because it wouldn't be a Jewish state then.

Does it have to be a Jewish state, and therefore non-Jews cannot live within its borders?  That seems pretty extreme and a violation of human rights.  Its also sound fascist.

Well, that's sort of the point of Israel.
why do people think there is no freedom of religion within Israel?  About 75 percent  are Jews, about 15 percent are Muslims, and a smaller number are Christians and Druze. Those figures do not include the Palestinian territories. Israel has possibly more freedom of religion than any other state in the middle east.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 02:18:10 AM »

There are a lot of ambitious and educated Jewish professionals but since they are such a small part of the population, I would really have to determine whether their motives are simply to obtain power and prestige, or whether they can actually serve the best interests of the everyday average Christian voter.  We are divided by race, and gender in America but a common unifying force that transcends race and gender is religion.
yikes.  ironic that you write this and simultaneously are blind to why Jews feel more secure having their own state.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 06:01:07 AM »

Uh, Kerry was a Christian. Catholicism, together with Protestanism and Orthox Christianity, are different branches of Christianity.

Um, I think he means "evangelical." And if Kerry had been evangelical and had the same views, he would have had the same problem: he would have been not evangelical/Christian enough rather than not Catholic enough.
milhouse24
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2010, 12:06:01 AM »

yikes.  ironic that you write this and simultaneously are blind to why Jews feel more secure having their own state.

Jews can have their own state, but they can't steal land from the native population and not give them a say in their govt.  Its not like colonial americans and indians.  Just because you belong in a minority religion doesn't mean you Need to become president.  The President should be the person who reflects the interests of the majority of the country, that's how a democracy works.  But a democracy also should allow for minority religions and races a voice and freedom from persecution.  But its not essential or PC for there to be a Jewish, Muslim or Black, Hispanic, or Asian president of the USA. 

Israel does not allow a majority of muslims to live in its borders or visit certain parts of the country.  It is apartheid. 
Chaim
Rookie

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2010, 03:22:39 PM »

If Peter Schiff gets in the Senate probably 2020.
milhouse24
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 11:11:58 PM »

Um, I think he means "evangelical." And if Kerry had been evangelical and had the same views, he would have had the same problem: he would have been not evangelical/Christian enough rather than not Catholic enough.

I just think Americans take religion a lot more seriously than they take race.  In elections, you try to create bonds with the average voter.  If you are a different race and a different religion, it makes it more difficult to find common ground with the voter.  If a person is Black, Hispanic, or Asian, yet he/she shares a religion with the voter, such as Christianity, it would be easier to win votes. 

I think most Jews don't have a problem with race, since many are from European descent and are considered Caucasian.  There are many Jewish Senators, congressmen, and governors than there have been Black politicians.  But in a national election, you have to appeal outside of your state to virtual strangers, and a quick route to that appeal is through religion.

I look at someone like John Kerry who should have been elected President based on his resume, but he just wasn't able to appeal to enough people.  He had significant drawbacks that prevented him from winning over the average mid-west American.  He was from a northern, liberal state. 

In order for a Jewish man or woman to win a presidential election, he would need to be from a heartland state, win over main street, and win the average American voter.  There are far more Catholics in America than Jews, and we've only had one Catholic president, so its still very difficult to cross that religious divide.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2010, 04:49:53 PM »

While the 3 American presidents since 1967 who have made the most serious effort for an independent Palestine in the West Bank and Gaza (Carter, Clinton and Obama) all got a higher % of Jewish voters than their % of Gentile voters.

I think Bush Sr. and Bush Jr. made a much more serious effort to create a Palestinain state than Carter did.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2010, 05:05:02 PM »

Al Franken and Alan Grayson are jews? Huh, I didn't know that.

If Romanoff beats Bennet and then procedues to successfully win the general election I could definatley see him as Presidential material. So maybe Romanoff in 16, 20, 24. [/Romanoff crush]

milhouse24
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2010, 11:42:50 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2010, 02:27:40 PM by milhouse24 »

Well, I think every successful politician and president must convince that they share and can execute the concerns of his constituents.  Some politicians can succeed regionally like in the north or in the south.  But a lot of politicians are also driven by a selfish desire for power and adulation.  Look at GWB, he was a drunk who lived off his family's wealth and connections, then he became a born-again christian and won the White House by winning the moral argument against Clinton's indiscretions.  If he did not claim the born-again mantel, Gore would have done better.  But lets not lie about it, Dubya wanted the prestige and wanted to win the election, and his religious awakening helped him accomplish those goals.  John Kerry was a good liberal, yet he seemed too ambitious and power-hungry to connect to swing voters.  Gore had the same problems.  

Sure a lot of those anti-Iraq senators have done their home state proud, but I'm sure they would have a tough time in the Red and heartland states.  It would be interesting to see how Cantor does if he seeks higher office (can he win the Jim Webb constituency).

Joe Lieberman was the vice presidential nominee, but I doubt you'll find many Americans who would vote him for president now, certainly no Democrats.  I'm not sure what his reasoning is behind his foreign policy, but they certainly don't align with my interests.  Its really amazing that he could have been elected President in 2008 if Gore had won, would he have really turned on Democrats.

In human civilization there are many differences that have caused fighting.  You have racism, where different races cannot live together.  In the US, someone who is Asian, Middle-Eastern, and Black have just as or more difficult experience assimilating than Jewish citizens.  Jewish people are mostly caucasian and have had far more success financially and upward mobility than other racial minorities.  I would say there are biases and distrust of any Black, Middle-Eastern, or Asian politician until that person finds a way to win white voters over.  

I think that religion, not just in politics, but in society is a big deal in that Christians and Muslims still fight each other.  Hindus and Muslims still fight each other.  Irish Catholics and Irish Protestants.  So many religions face discrimination and harassment and persecution, everywhere.  I'm not opposed to Jewish communities, there are Asian-towns, Black communities, etc.  Its about finding a way to live with your neighbors in American cities, European cities, and Mid-east cities.   I never thought the Catholic countries in Europe were very tolerant of different religions, I'm sure Catholics and Protestant Reformers had their share of conflicts.  But in America, we take religious refugees and allow them to live here free from persecution.

Millhouse, you suggest a presidential candidate being Jewish would make you more suspicious of the motives of that candidate and you pretty much state it'd be more likely such a candidate was just hungry for power.  Many of congress's most progressive fighters whose motives have been fairly trustworthy have been Jewish (Russ Feingold, Al Franken, Bernie Sanders, Anthony Weiner, Alan Grayson and the late Paul Wellstone.).  Do Gentile presidential candidates come off as having pure motives generally?  

It's disturbing to say as you did starkly being Jewish would make a candidate more suspect?  Your kind of anti-semitism in the Christian majority countries of Europe is what created the massive volume of Jewish refugees without which Israel would likely never have happened in the first place.  As for Israel, your facts seem somewhat spotty.  But I will note that while obviously American Jews have an affinity for their cousins in Israel,  they tend to still be more flexible than fundamentalist Christians on the issue.  Huckabee for example does not support a Palestinian state. While the 3 American presidents since 1967 who have made the most serious effort for an independent Palestine in the West Bank and Gaza (Carter, Clinton and Obama) all got a higher % of Jewish voters than their % of Gentile voters.

Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2010, 02:30:38 PM »

I'd like to see Eric Cantor as a VP nominee personally.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2010, 09:23:39 PM »

I'd like to see Eric Cantor as a VP nominee personally.

I second this, especially in a year when the GOP has a good chance to win the Presidency.
W_E_Dodge
Rookie
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2010, 10:22:08 PM »

In the 1950s- guilt over the holocaust may have helped elect a Jewish President. Now, there is no more real anti-semetism it seems. There is no barrier for a Jewish politician to cross with the election of Obama.
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2010, 04:00:18 PM »

I actually the odds of a Jewish president are fairly high. Yes, Jews form under 2% of the U.S. population, but there are currently 15 Jewish senators, for example. And three Jewish governors: Markell (DE), Lingle (HI), and Rendell (PA).

Surprisingly, New York has only had two Jewish governors - Herbert Lehman (1933-1945) and Eliot Spitzer (2007-2008). In general, though, governors of New York tend to be prominent candidates for president although none have been elected since 1932.

Rendell could probably have run in '08 (if Hillary and Obama hadn't run).

One plausible candidate would have been Sen. Abe Ribicoff (D-CT). He was governor of CT during the 1950s and JFK's initial Health, Education and Welfare Secretary, and was then elected to the Senate in 1962. If LBJ had picked him as his running mate in 1964, then he would have been in a good position to run for president in 1968.

Chuck Schumer obviously is focused on the Senate leadership, but he strongly considered running for governor in 2006. If he had done so, then he could have been well placed to run for president in 2016.

Looking ahead, if Rep. Ron Klein (FL) could maybe run for president in the future, if he can survive 2010 and then get elected to the Senate or the FL governorship. There's also State Rep. Josh Shapiro in PA, who is seen by PA Dems as a rising star. If he can get to the PA governorship or the Senate, he too would have a good shot (and he's young - 36 - so he has a couple decades).
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2010, 08:01:46 PM »

In the 1950s- guilt over the holocaust may have helped elect a Jewish President. Now, there is no more real anti-semetism it seems. There is no barrier for a Jewish politician to cross with the election of Obama.

Hell, we ended up electing a dude whose last name was "Eisenhower" instead.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2010, 08:11:23 PM »

Who liberated Jews from concentration camps.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2010, 08:48:21 PM »

True.  Just noting the humor in that a German American liberated half of Europe, freed the Jews, and then became US President.
It's like the ultimate bitch slap to the Nazis.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2010, 09:59:47 PM »

True.  Just noting the humor in that a German American liberated half of Europe, freed the Jews, and then became US President.
It's like the ultimate bitch slap to the Nazis.

If only the bitch slap came several years earlier, several million lives could have been saved (including those of many of my ancestors and relatives).
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2010, 01:33:02 AM »

Eisenhower could be a Jewish name.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2010, 01:35:33 AM »

Eisenhower could be a Jewish name.

No, it can't.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies