Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 10:48:30 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Forum Community (Moderators: afleitch, Bacon King, Badger)
| | |-+  Update Thread and Other Ramblings by BushOklahoma
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 201 Print
Author Topic: Update Thread and Other Ramblings by BushOklahoma  (Read 244623 times)
Smash255
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2550 on: December 10, 2010, 03:16:12 am »
Ignore

Bushie

I'm not sure if it was answered elsewhere in this jalopy of a thread, but toward the end of the new job thread, Gramps suggested you try to obtain unemployment.  Did you ever try to claim unemployment?

Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
India
View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: December 10, 2010, 09:31:31 am »
Ignore

Bushie

I'm not sure if it was answered elsewhere in this jalopy of a thread, but toward the end of the new job thread, Gramps suggested you try to obtain unemployment.  Did you ever try to claim unemployment?

I had to look at what I said, Smash....dang you Tongue  Yeah, I meant only as a stop-gap measure while looking for real work, not these sales jobs.....forget them.  I think I said it so that Bushie stops taking money from his family.......that is always a bad idea, always, always, always, and it's been documented here (and I think on FB) that it's used against him to make sure things are done other people's way.

So yes, apply and don't take money from your family.  Then get a real freakin' job from a company that doesn't sound the ripoff alarm when we type the company name in Google.
Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: December 10, 2010, 09:41:16 am »
Ignore

After doing a little more research the training does seem legit, but Bushie do you realize its a commission only sales position??

Now a commission only retail job probably does have a bit more security than a commission only job selling loans, real estate or hell Kirby products door to door, but do you think you can survive in a commission only environment when you need to be aggressive, meet quotas, etc?

I thought I read somewhere in the ad that there's an hourly wage to start off with plus commissions.  I could be wrong, but that's what I thought I saw

My earlier comment notwithstanding, I do think that the site would be better off if Inks left his position. (The fact that the village idiot has dropped in to express his support for him only confirms this.)
Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
India
View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: December 10, 2010, 09:47:07 am »
Ignore

After doing a little more research the training does seem legit, but Bushie do you realize its a commission only sales position??

Now a commission only retail job probably does have a bit more security than a commission only job selling loans, real estate or hell Kirby products door to door, but do you think you can survive in a commission only environment when you need to be aggressive, meet quotas, etc?

I thought I read somewhere in the ad that there's an hourly wage to start off with plus commissions.  I could be wrong, but that's what I thought I saw

Hourly + commission =

You're going to be sorely disappointed, again.
Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: December 10, 2010, 09:59:15 am »
Ignore

I thought I read somewhere in the ad that there's an hourly wage to start off with plus commissions.  I could be wrong, but that's what I thought I saw

Hourly + commission =

Yeah, I've taken another look at it and it looks like I would have to sell $40,000 worth of merchandise a month as a quota.  I know it's an appliance and electronic store, but still that's a big quota.  I'm still going to wait for their phone call or e-mail today and investigate it further before I decide whether to drop them or not.

My earlier comment notwithstanding, I do think that the site would be better off if Inks left his position. (The fact that the village idiot has dropped in to express his support for him only confirms this.)
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: December 10, 2010, 10:48:31 am »
Ignore

Bushie, if you don't give good phone (wasn't that established in the last episode?), how is this going to work out for you again?

incredibly specific types of post-punk music
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: December 10, 2010, 10:51:42 am »
Ignore

I don't know why he just doesn't apply for unemployment like suggested earlier, his odds of getting it from his Sprint job are obviously better than Oklahoma Natural Gas as he didn't voluntarily quit.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: December 10, 2010, 10:55:08 am »
Ignore

Dad brought up an idea, which I think is a cop-out answer really, that maybe I should apply for disability for my Tourette's.  What do you think?  Apparently, they had thought about applying for disability for my Tourette's when I was a young child.

??????????
StatesRights
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: December 10, 2010, 11:32:35 am »
Ignore

Whatever Jamespol.
fezzyfestoon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: December 10, 2010, 12:00:50 pm »
Ignore

There's no reason not to take disability if you qualify for it.  You need some kind of income and if it's being offered, it's stupid not to take it.
Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: December 10, 2010, 12:15:01 pm »
Ignore

There's no reason not to take disability if you qualify for it.  You need some kind of income and if it's being offered, it's stupid not to take it.

The thing is, though, and this is my pride speaking out, I don't want the taxpayers paying my bills, because that's ultimately where it comes from.  I'd rather ask family, and that's even only a select group.  I guess I need to shed that pride.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2561 on: December 10, 2010, 12:19:46 pm »
Ignore

You think that scamming people is more honourable than claiming benefits?

Yeah, I refer to my earlier point about the dangers of trying to encourage a certain sort of person to pull themselves up by their proverbial bootstraps.

Franzl
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: December 10, 2010, 12:27:58 pm »
Ignore

The thing is, though, and this is my pride speaking out, I don't want the taxpayers paying my bills, because that's ultimately where it comes from.  I'd rather ask family, and that's even only a select group.  I guess I need to shed that pride.

It's not like the government will actually save the money at any rate....you might as well have it from that perspective.
fezzyfestoon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: December 10, 2010, 12:31:16 pm »
Ignore

That's not on you.  If the program's there, nothing's gonna change from you not taking it.  As long as it's there you can take it and still oppose it.  But not taking money when you need it because you feel bad is just silly.
Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: December 10, 2010, 12:43:14 pm »
Ignore

Thanks to the forum (especially Smash and Gramps), I'm starting to smell a rat with Conn's.  It's smelling like a commission-only job.  I haven't been contacted, yet, but I'm almost betting on that.

My grandmother made a good point today.  She said, "it's true you can get a job before Christmas, but be very, very careful in what you select, because you don't want to forgo your Christmas vacation for a job that may only last a week or two.  You've been through a rough year, you need this vacation to get away from it all.  Three weeks is not going make all that much difference, especially when there are two big holiday weekends in the middle of it." 

I'm going to keep looking through next Thursday, December 16, but I'm going to suspend it starting Friday, December 17 so I can start getting things ready to go.  Then, Monday-Wednesday, December 20-22, I will be too busy cleaning and packing and stopping my mail and getting my cat ready to stay by himself for 4 nights.

Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
India
View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: December 10, 2010, 01:11:52 pm »
Ignore

My grandmother made a good point today.  She said, "it's true you can get a job before Christmas, but be very, very careful in what you select, because you don't want to forgo your Christmas vacation for a job that may only last a week or two

Granny's bolded point is a good one anytime.........
Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: December 10, 2010, 02:22:42 pm »
Ignore

My grandmother made a good point today.  She said, "it's true you can get a job before Christmas, but be very, very careful in what you select, because you don't want to forgo your Christmas vacation for a job that may only last a week or two

She also said waiting three weeks might be well worth it if you can get a good, steady career rather than jumping at the first one that comes along, being desperate, and ending up in another bait and switch.

Smash255
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: December 10, 2010, 02:51:13 pm »
Ignore

I thought I read somewhere in the ad that there's an hourly wage to start off with plus commissions.  I could be wrong, but that's what I thought I saw

Hourly + commission =

Yeah, I've taken another look at it and it looks like I would have to sell $40,000 worth of merchandise a month as a quota.  I know it's an appliance and electronic store, but still that's a big quota.  I'm still going to wait for their phone call or e-mail today and investigate it further before I decide whether to drop them or not.

Commission only and Hourly + Commission jobs in retail can actually be decent, ( I have done it and made more $$$ than the hourly folks, and made the most when it was straight commission), but you need to know what your getting yourself into.    You have a better chance of making $$ and not walking away with nothing n that then you do in other commission jobs.  With that being said based off everything you have previously mentioned, the quotas involved, the lack of a truly specific commission structure, its not a good fit.

As has been said if you can qualify for unemployment or disability go for it.  The programs exist for a reason, and if you legitimately qualify you should take advantage of it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 02:54:51 pm by Smash255 »Logged

Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: December 10, 2010, 02:56:33 pm »
Ignore

Hourly + commission =

Yeah, I've taken another look at it and it looks like I would have to sell $40,000 worth of merchandise a month as a quota.  I know it's an appliance and electronic store, but still that's a big quota.  I'm still going to wait for their phone call or e-mail today and investigate it further before I decide whether to drop them or not.

Commission only and Hourly + Commission jobs in retail can actually be decent, ( I have done it and made more $$$ than the hourly folks, and made the most when it was straight commission), but you need to know what your getting yourself into.    You have a better chance of making $$ and not walking away with nothing n that then you do in other commission jobs.  With that being said based off everything you have previously mentioned, the quotas involved, the lack of a truly specific commission structure, its not a good fit.

As has been said if you can qualify for unemployment or disability go for it.  The programs exist for a reason, and if you legitimately qualify you should take advantage of it.

Well, so far they haven't gotten back with me, and it's 2:00 on a Friday evening.  I'm thinking they may crossed me off their list.  There's still time, but every minute goes by without a contact makes it less and less likely.

Smash255
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: December 10, 2010, 03:08:59 pm »
Ignore

She also said waiting three weeks might be well worth it if you can get a good, steady career rather than jumping at the first one that comes along, being desperate, and ending up in another bait and switch.

As someone was was laid off last year and since then have just been working part time and collecting partial benefits I have to disagree with this.  Its tough to find a job right now, looking for things just career oriented makes things more difficult (believe me I have been there).  

Granted what I come from is different than you, I was in a very specialized field in the finance industry (Pricing for Mutual and Hedge Funds) and those jobs simply aren't out there or have been combined with others.  However, if you pigeonhole yourself at looking for just something career oriented, you make things even more difficult.   However, the take anything and everything mentality is not a good one either, as we have seen.  You need to find that happy medium.  Does the job make sense?  Do you think you can meet the qualifications?  (you need to be extremely honest with yourself when you ask this question)  

Sheriff Buford TX Justice
AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: December 10, 2010, 04:36:11 pm »
Ignore

As someone was was laid off last year and since then have just been working part time and collecting partial benefits I have to disagree with this.  Its tough to find a job right now, looking for things just career oriented makes things more difficult (believe me I have been there).  

Granted what I come from is different than you, I was in a very specialized field in the finance industry (Pricing for Mutual and Hedge Funds) and those jobs simply aren't out there or have been combined with others.  However, if you pigeonhole yourself at looking for just something career oriented, you make things even more difficult.   However, the take anything and everything mentality is not a good one either, as we have seen.  You need to find that happy medium.  Does the job make sense?  Do you think you can meet the qualifications?  (you need to be extremely honest with yourself when you ask this question)  

I agree here too. I wouldnt waste anytime searching for a job. If I got an offer, I'd take it, as long as I was qualified and know I can do the job. If you feel you cant do it, dont take it.. your just going to get laid of. I too, was out of work for nearly a year,  and it was hard finding any kin d of job in my area of Finance. Up here, the jobs just werent there, but luckfully I found something (dispatching, not my ideal job), but it pays well, and its what I need.  I was lucky though, because I still was able to do some consulting and working on primaries and some general election jobs to be able to make a few bucks. Find something either in your skill, or something you can do.

Nobody wants to flip burgers at Burger King, but if you can do it, and the job is there, its better to make 8 bucks an hour, than 0.

My parents are pretty good about smelling a rat. 
Let me put this as clear as I can (saying this to myself, as well, so I can see it): I WILL get a job with CADD and I WILL keep the job.
Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: December 10, 2010, 10:09:42 pm »
Ignore

So, Dad and I just came up with a crazy, off the wall idea.  Why not try to become an Electrician's Apprentice?  I've got several friends around here who are electricians and my brother is also an electrician.  It would take me 4-5 years to complete an apprenticeship, but the money could be worth it.  Electricians are one of those industries that will always be needed, especially as things are turning more total electric.  I've always wanted to learn a new skill.

I can just imagine the entire Oklahoma City Power Grid shutting down!!

fezzyfestoon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: December 10, 2010, 10:34:24 pm »
Ignore

Unless you really see yourself doing that, I wouldn't.  Do make an entire career decision based on the money, especially one that you'd have to commit 4 years to right out of the gate.
patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: December 10, 2010, 10:44:57 pm »
Ignore

So, Dad and I just came up with a crazy, off the wall idea.  Why not try to become an Electrician's Apprentice?  I've got several friends around here who are electricians and my brother is also an electrician.  It would take me 4-5 years to complete an apprenticeship, but the money could be worth it.  Electricians are one of those industries that will always be needed, especially as things are turning more total electric.  I've always wanted to learn a new skill.

I can just imagine the entire Oklahoma City Power Grid shutting down!!

My advice is to identify two things: 1. what you are good at 2. what you enjoy doing. 
You have to be realistic with yourself.  If you aren't good working the phones or selling stuff- look elsewhere.  You are better off just stocking shelves or delivering pizzas than bouncing from one short term fail job to the next.  Number 2 is hard because there aren't always jobs available in what you enjoy doing. However, long term your job has to be at least tolerable for a level of contentment. YOU have to decide these things.
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2574 on: December 10, 2010, 11:03:14 pm »
Ignore

Well, if you want to do it, think you'd enjoy it and think you'd be able to sort out an apprenticeship with someone (or company or whatever; I don't know anything about the structure of the trade in the U.S, obviously) they, yeah. Go for it; it's skilled and stable employment. But do you know what you'd be getting in for? It can be rewarding, but it is also hard work. And it isn't nearly as lucrative as is commonly assumed, at least not here (people tend to assume that electricians keep all the money they charge as wages. Actually, no. The majority goes on supplies and the like). It pays decently, but you won't do very well out of it unless there's a major shortage of electricians where you live. Also, being an apprentice can be less than entirely wonderful and customers can be deceitful bastards at times. If you're serious about the idea, talk it through with people in the trade and see what they think.

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 201 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout