Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 03, 2014, 02:12:50 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Constitution and Law (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | |-+  If Brown wins, what is the status of Kirk's vote on the healthcare bill?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: If Brown wins, what is the status of Kirk's vote on the healthcare bill?  (Read 2207 times)
Vepres
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.26, S: -7.39

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2010, 11:10:42 pm »
Ignore

If Brown wins, the Democrats would consider having the house approve the Senate bill as it is, thus sending it to the President. However, would that be legal? Would Kirk's vote be as if it didn't exist?

LOL, Failure

Alright, if Republicans gain less than 75 seats, I'll prominently display my failure in my signature.
Psychic Octopus
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 11:14:52 pm »
Ignore

It would put serious pressure on Pelosi to fess up and get her chamber to swallow it as is.

Vepres
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:15:51 pm »
Ignore

It would put serious pressure on Pelosi to fess up and get her chamber to swallow it as is.

But is it legal? Legally, it is questionable if they can do that.

LOL, Failure

Alright, if Republicans gain less than 75 seats, I'll prominently display my failure in my signature.
Dallasfan65
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: -9.91

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 01:06:13 am »
Ignore

Kirk is actually ineligible to vote after the election, from what I've heard. (according to mass law, atleast)

J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 01:11:54 am »
Ignore

If Brown wins, the Democrats would consider having the house approve the Senate bill as it is, thus sending it to the President. However, would that be legal? Would Kirk's vote be as if it didn't exist?

Yes, Kirk was a legitimate Senator at the time the vote was cast.  It obviously did exist, and the chair declared it adopted.  

That was only on cloture where his vote made a difference.

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
Bo
Rochambeau
YaBB God
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 01:39:03 am »
Ignore

However, would that be legal? Would Kirk's vote be as if it didn't exist?

Yes and No.

Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 05:46:42 am »
Ignore

Considering Kirk was legally a senator when the vote was cast, it would be a little tricky to invalidate it, no?
Franzl
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 07:09:22 am »
Ignore

Of course.

Kirk was legally a United States Senator when that vote was held. It would also be legal for him to cast another vote for healthcare even after the election, as long as the vote in MA is still being certified (and there are no obvious delaying tactics.)

Saying Kirk's vote is illegitimate is nothing more than a talking point with nothing to back it up.
CARLHAYDEN
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 07:16:07 am »
Ignore

This is an interesting legal question,

However, I suspect at least one Democrat Senator would realize that such a tactic would so enrage the voters that they would decline to vote for the bill.

Registered in Arizona for Fantasy election purposes.
Vepres
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 09:00:36 am »
Ignore

Of course.

Kirk was legally a United States Senator when that vote was held. It would also be legal for him to cast another vote for healthcare even after the election, as long as the vote in MA is still being certified (and there are no obvious delaying tactics.)

Saying Kirk's vote is illegitimate is nothing more than a talking point with nothing to back it up.

I've just read some things that made me doubt it, but I guess the answer is clear Smiley

LOL, Failure

Franzl
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 09:02:53 am »
Ignore

Of course.

I've just read some things that made me doubt it, but I guess the answer is clear Smiley

I'm sure Republicans will present that argument regardless Wink
Vepres
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 09:04:41 am »
Ignore

Of course.

Not that the house will ever pass the Senate bill anyway Wink

LOL, Failure

Franzl
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 09:13:20 am »
Ignore

Of course.

I still think they might with the promise to correct certain parts through the reconciliation process.
frenger
Bono
YaBB God
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 8.65, S: -4.17

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 11:19:37 am »
Ignore

Of course.

I still think they might with the promise to correct certain parts through the reconciliation process.

If there is a reconciliation process, the Senate would have to vote on the final product again, thus defeating the purpose of the house passing the Senate bill in the first place.

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed and hence clamorous to be led to safety by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." H.L. Mencken

NO, I don't want to go back to Fantasy Elections.
Franzl
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 02:23:51 pm »
Ignore

Of course.

If there is a reconciliation process, the Senate would have to vote on the final product again, thus defeating the purpose of the house passing the Senate bill in the first place.

The thought being that the House passes the Senate bill as written....and certain other issues about taxation and what not are handled in addition by the reconciliation process.
CARLHAYDEN
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 10:09:24 pm »
Ignore

However, I suspect at least one Democrat Senator would realize that such a tactic would so enrage the voters that they would decline to vote for the bill.

Jim Webb: "it would only be fair and prudent that we suspend further votes on health care legislation until Senator-elect Brown is seated."

Franzl
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 02:46:31 am »
Ignore

Jim Webb: "it would only be fair and prudent that we suspend further votes on health care legislation until Senator-elect Brown is seated."

What does that have to do with legality? It just means Webb is interested in damage control.
CARLHAYDEN
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 04:16:58 pm »
Ignore

What does that have to do with legality? It just means Webb is interested in damage control.

Sorry, but, there would only be a legal "controversey" if the Senate were to seek to vote on the so-called Health Care Reform proposal after the election but before seating of Senator-elect Brown.

Therefor, no case or controversey.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 02:32:54 am »
Ignore

His vote was and still is perfectly legal and legitimate.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout