If Brown wins, what is the status of Kirk's vote on the healthcare bill? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:31:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  If Brown wins, what is the status of Kirk's vote on the healthcare bill? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Brown wins, what is the status of Kirk's vote on the healthcare bill?  (Read 2911 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: January 19, 2010, 11:19:37 AM »

If Brown wins, the Democrats would consider having the house approve the Senate bill as it is, thus sending it to the President. However, would that be legal? Would Kirk's vote be as if it didn't exist?

Of course.

Kirk was legally a United States Senator when that vote was held. It would also be legal for him to cast another vote for healthcare even after the election, as long as the vote in MA is still being certified (and there are no obvious delaying tactics.)

Saying Kirk's vote is illegitimate is nothing more than a talking point with nothing to back it up.

I've just read some things that made me doubt it, but I guess the answer is clear Smiley

I'm sure Republicans will present that argument regardless Wink

Not that the house will ever pass the Senate bill anyway Wink

I still think they might with the promise to correct certain parts through the reconciliation process.

If there is a reconciliation process, the Senate would have to vote on the final product again, thus defeating the purpose of the house passing the Senate bill in the first place.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies