Will Scott Brown be re-elected?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:07:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will Scott Brown be re-elected?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Will Scott Brown be re-elected?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Will Scott Brown be re-elected?  (Read 4382 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 10:44:56 AM »

Has Martha Coakley taken herself out of the running for the seat in 2012?
zorkpolitics
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2010, 11:07:26 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2010, 09:34:03 AM by zorkpolitics »

Yes, Scott knows he has to be the Senator from MA, not a Republican Senator.
He will be independent enough to get approval in MA
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2010, 11:17:13 PM »

Remember his voting record in the State Senate indicates he is more Liberal then Dede Scozzafava.

LOL.  Are you high?

No I am not. And I get pissed when fools like you joke about that. I am strongly opposed to the conusmption of any unnatural substance.

I was referencing a study done that concluded based on averages and numbers. However the numbers don't tell the whole story. They don't consider some issues are more important then others.

I didn't say philosophy or core issues or any of that either, I said "voting" record. Indeed considering most of the votes are non-controversial, I think I am very reasonable in this assertion.

Now, get of my a**.

And my overall point was he could easily establish a numerically independnet voting record while still being a conservative overal. Or vice versa.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2010, 09:11:26 PM »

Yes, absolutely.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2010, 09:26:59 PM »

Not yet, but it won't matter whether she runs or not (and I doubt she'll run). Democrats in Massachusetts would never nominate Martha Coakley again for a Senate seat.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2010, 10:06:53 PM »

I agree with what the others said - if Brown puts forth an image like Snowe or Collins, then he has a good chance of winning, and possibly keeping the seat for as long as he wants. If he instantly bows to the far-right GOP, which I doubt he will, then he'll be gone come 2013.

Even if the first case is true, he would still be an underdog since Mass. is more liberal than Maine and Snowe and Collins have benefitted from incumbancy in a smaller state. Totally agree with your second point.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2010, 03:57:48 PM »

Brown has $4 million left over for his 2012 race, which is at least a good start on his reelection bid
http://redmassgroup.com/diary/6998/brown-has-4m-cash-on-hand
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 04:19:06 PM »

If he legislates as an Olympia Snowe style Republican--including some deviation from conservative economic orthodoxy of which Brown has demonstrated little inclination so far--and the Democratic candidate again runs the most god-awful incompetent campaign in living memory, then probably.
Guderian

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 05:27:59 PM »

One thing I don't think was mentioned yet. Brown needs to do all the little things right, like running a great constituent service and stuff like that. Surviving in a seat like that is often about outhustling opposition, and I think he's aware of that.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010, 09:30:03 PM »

Not yet, but it won't matter whether she runs or not (and I doubt she'll run). Democrats in Massachusetts would never nominate Martha Coakley again for a Senate seat.

You seem a little bit too sure about that.

Remember his voting record in the State Senate indicates he is more Liberal then Dede Scozzafava.

LOL.  Are you high?

No I am not. And I get pissed when fools like you joke about that. I am strongly opposed to the conusmption of any unnatural substance.

Oh, lord. Get over yourself.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 09:32:18 PM »

Mr. Moderate, who do you vote for in the special election?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2010, 10:17:39 PM »

Coakley, like the other 70% of my town. But only because I'm familiar with Brown's behind-the-scenes personality.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2010, 11:40:32 PM »

LOL.  Are you high?

Actually, that is true. There is more the politics than healthcare.
evan bayh
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2010, 07:25:40 AM »

No.
Any year other than a Presidential election year he'd stand a good chance, but Obama's reelection will mean high turn-out for minorities. Even if he turns out to be the most centrist Republican in Congress, he'll face down-ticket effects in favor of Dems - just ask Chris Shays.

i agree
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2010, 11:48:51 AM »

If he legislates as an Olympia Snowe style Republican--including some deviation from conservative economic orthodoxy of which Brown has demonstrated little inclination so far--and the Democratic candidate again runs the most god-awful incompetent campaign in living memory, then probably.

Hi Badger!

How has Snowe deviated from conservative orthodoxy on fiscal issues?  Aside from her stance on choice, I am having a hard time distinguishing her from the rest of the tribe.  But I am asking sincerely -- I really don't know.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2010, 04:20:50 PM »

Hi Badger!

How has Snowe deviated from conservative orthodoxy on fiscal issues?  Aside from her stance on choice, I am having a hard time distinguishing her from the rest of the tribe.  But I am asking sincerely -- I really don't know.

Hiya JS!

Off the top of my head, she supported the stimulus which no other current Republican outside Maine did. She also voted in the Finance Committee for passage of one of the tamer health care reform proposals, again the only Republican in either chamber to do so.

Let's see, per Wikipedia (caveat emptor):

On fiscal issues, she has voiced support for cutting taxes as economic stimulus, although she joined fellow Republican senators Lincoln Chafee and John McCain in voting against the Bush tax cuts in 2003. Other less fiscally conservative positions include her opposition to most free trade agreements, including the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), the Central America Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA), and her being the only Republican to vote for the Tax Fairness and Economic Growth Act of 1992, which would have provided some tax refunds to select taxpayers while also increasing non-corporate capital gains tax rates (among other provisions). Snowe voted against , and most free trade measures. She is a strong supporter of environmental protections.

Snowe lists her top legislative priorities as assisting the growth of small businesses, prescription drug coverage, and student loan and child care funding.

In the 110th Congress, Snowe worked to ensure passage of a genetic non-discrimination act, which she had previously worked to pass for nearly eight years; opposed cutting loans through the Small Business Administration; offered legislation aimed at reducing the price of prescription drugs and insurance costs for small businesses; and became a leading voice among Congressional Republicans expressing concerns over President Bush's plans for the privatization of Social Security.

<emphasis added> Although not strictly a "fiscal" issue, I'd also note her strong support of environmental protection laws deviates from the economic conservatism of the vast majority of Republicans.

If Scott Brown takes her (or even Susan Collins) as a role model, does an A+ job in constituent service even compared to other senators, and the Democratic candidate runs a lackluster campaign (even if not of Coakley levels of incompetence), he has a good chance of pulling through. If the Dems run at least a decent campaign in 2012, though, Brown's best efforts will have real trouble overcoming Obama's coattails in Massachusetts. Think Chafee in 2006.

That, and as previously noted, I'm skeptical about how "independent" Brown will actually be in the Senate outside votes on abortion (if that).
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2010, 04:22:10 PM »

Coakley, like the other 70% of my town. But only because I'm familiar with Brown's behind-the-scenes personality.

O rly? Don't leave us hanging Mr. M---dish away. What's Scott Brown really like away from the podium or riding his truck in campaign ads?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2010, 07:20:45 PM »

O rly? Don't leave us hanging Mr. M---dish away. What's Scott Brown really like away from the podium or riding his truck in campaign ads?

He apparently has the same hobbies that I do these days, the only difference being that he is married, and does them at work. Smiley
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2010, 05:10:50 PM »

He apparently has the same hobbies that I do these days, the only difference being that he is married, and does them at work. Smiley

OK, forgive my being dense, but now I'm really confused. Huh??
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2010, 06:03:25 PM »

Not sure what Mr. Moderate is referring to exactly, but I will say he has something of a bad reputation on Beacon Hill. In a place with 5 Republican Senators(out of 40), where they are viewed as more of likable oddities than anything else, he tends to be viewed as something of a policy-lightweight and a bit of a jerk. He is also arguably the most conservative Republican socially in the state senate, at least on Gay Rights, and does not openly disassociate himself from the nuttier grassroots groups like everyone else.

That said, conservative by MA standards is not nationally rightwing. What is a "well some of my friends are gay, really" position like supporting civil unions and an Enda that includes sexual identification in addition to orientation are actually fairly liberal positions for a republican nationally. That de facto  means he has voted against every gay rights, abortion rights, and "progressive" fiscal proposal that has ever come up since he entered office, only supporting hypothetically less liberal alternatives that were never on the table. Hence the unwillingness of many Massachusetts residents to give him a pass on being a "liberal republican" when he has big fat zeros from every interest group in the state.

Of course he just succeeded in doing something few MA legislators will ever do, move up, so who knows what motivates the dislike.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2010, 06:05:46 PM »

I'd have voted for Brown. I don't see how Mr. Moderate voted for Coakley, yet supported McCain over Obama. That is Awkward
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2010, 09:22:05 PM »

I'd have voted for Brown. I don't see how Mr. Moderate voted for Coakley, yet supported McCain over Obama. That is Awkward

I find it hard to vote for people I do not respect. That is all.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies