Gully Foyle's African News Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:11:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Gully Foyle's African News Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Gully Foyle's African News Thread  (Read 16085 times)
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 11:36:50 AM »
« edited: April 02, 2010, 11:40:02 AM by Bunoah »

Well, personally, I've a kind of problem with this thread. I mean, well, it surely have good intentions, but in the end it would be like all the rest, when we speak about Africa, we make an 'Africa bag' for 'poor little Africans'. First as if Africa was just a country, and furthermore in which we post all the bad stuffs from there 'but in which we will also try to post good stuffs'. Reminds me of something of, you know, the 'elementary school spirit' when it's about doing a 'good action' in an elementary school for 'poor little Africans' here or there. Ya know like a kind of 'Western good conscious' about Africa. So in the beginning there were a collection of different African news enchained in very short laps of time which maybe all of them deserved one thread since all of them depends on different complex situations of each regions of Africa. Then there has been the coup in Niger, that maybe deserved a thread too.

Anyhow for these kinds of reason I've had problems posting here to speak about issues raised in here personally.

Dunno, maybe I read too much in it, or I read it wrong, but, I'd prefer something related to a special issue concerning Africa, like coups, or weapons, or corruption, or anything. Some things that have an African coherence, instead of a succession of different mixed stuffs of which the only point they have in common is the same continent.

The FA or whatever happens to a member of the UK parliament have a thread! Any African news can have one!

Well, if what happens to UK Parliament's MPs have better chances to be discussed here than something happening in Africa for obvious reasons, in the same way that on African forums they would maybe put us in a bag too, I think I would have at least preferred just an 'Africa General Discussion', just to collect news from there, because this part of the world deserves to be discussed, but without that kind of 'we have to take care of the poor little Africans' Western connotation that I tended to feel in the beginning of the thread and that turned me off.

Well, maybe I just read too much, dunno, but here is why personally I haven't commented here some stuffs that I could have commented. Thanks anyways this comment has permit me to express that thought. Didn't before because there was the fact that there surely were a good intention, I tried to find a way, it has been that one.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 07:27:57 AM »

I'm sure ye were all up all night following the results anyway, but for the formality of mentioning it...

Here in Malawi, the ruling Democratic Progressive Party won both by-elections held on Tuesday. They held Dowa SE (which was a very tight 3-way marginal in last year's general election, won by 3 votes last time) on a 17% swing from the Malawi Congress Party.

They also gained Mangoochi Malombe on a 13% swing from the United Democratic Front.

The results mean that the DPP extend their massive majority in the unicameral Malawian Parliament. Seat distribution is now:
Democratic Progressive Party113
Malawi Congress Party  27
United Democratic Front  16
Aford    1
Maravi Party    1
Independents  34

So... yeah...
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 08:21:43 AM »

('Portuguese Africa' is a different bucket of spades all together)
Wow...if Duke or DWTL said that their "fans" would be repeating that for the next 10 years.  You might not know, but that could be taken as a bit racist.  Not that I mind, just words to me, but "spade" is a touchy word here in the states.

(unless you did that on purpose, knowing full well....in which case, ignore this)

Ugh. Life itself is offensive, so people need to stop complaining.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 03:54:27 AM »

Tanzania has elected it's first albino to parliament - BBC Smiley
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2014, 03:46:03 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2014, 12:18:06 PM by politicus »

The leader of the Zimbabwean opposition alliance NCA Lovemore Madhuku has less than loving feelings towards  his country's ambitious First Lady Grace Mugabe (49) and predicts civil war will erupt if she succeeds her elderly husband Robert Mugabe (90) as the country's president.

Bobby and Grace Mugabe

Speaking at a policy dialogue by the Southern African Political and Economic Series to analyse Zanu PF's succession matrix, Madhuku said Zimbabweans would go to war if Grace becomes the country's new leader after her ailing husband.

Lovemore Madhuku:

- "Grace, the President of Zimbabwe! When we are there? Not at all!"

- "It would be absurd to wake up one day and be told Grace is the President. We would go to war."

- "Yes, she can be a chair of the women's league, address rallies but she cannot be a President."

- "You cannot have a country where you say l ran it for 34 years and when l left my wife took over ... people have to find any unlawful means of stopping any insanity by Zanu PF that would want to leave us with Grace Mugabe as President."

- "For the next 241 years we don't want to see any Mugabe in power."

The background is, that Grace was nominated to take over as head of Zanu PF's women's league at the party's congress in December 2013, since then she has just concluded a whirlwind nationwide "meet-the-people"-tour which has left commentators warning the First Lady could be targeting the presidency.

Her rallies have featured brutal attacks of female Vice President Joice Mujuru, previously seen as potential successor to Mugabe although struggling to put off a challenge by Justice Minister Emmerson Mnangagwa for the job.

Grace has demanded that Mujuru steps down saying she is not qualified to be Vice President and accusing her of illicit diamond dealing and running an extortion racket demanding 10% shareholdings in private companies - so quite vicious attacks.

Joice Mujuru

Political commentators have warned Zimbabweans to ready themselves for a "republican monarchy" experience akin to countries like the Democratic Republic of Congo and North Korea where leaders were succeeded by family members.

But according to Madhuku "Zimbabweans would not accept "a monarchy".

- "I don't think we are at the level of those countries (DRC and North Korea). Do you think we are at such a level? If we are at such a level - well ..."

- "They (Zanu PF) will do all the madness, but let's not allow this madness to carry us away."

Grace Mugabe (popularly known as Dis Grace for her lavish lifestyle, extravagant shopping sprees and corruption) also got a PhD in sociology from the University of Zimbabwe in September after a full two years of studying... the degree was awarded by the Chancellor of the university, a fellow named Robert Mugabe.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2014/sep/15/grace-mugabe-phd-award-first-lady-zimbabwe-university
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2014, 10:28:07 AM »
« Edited: October 19, 2014, 12:12:19 PM by politicus »

The parliament of Mauritius has been dissolved. New elections will be held within 5 monts - but likely before the end of the year.

Their Indo-Mauritian Labour Prime Minister Navinchandra Ramgoolam wants to be directly elected President with the authority to appoint both governor and deputy governors of the central bank + finance minister and chair the Council of Ministers and National Assembly when he deems it necessary. So if his coalition with the Mauritius Militant Movement wins important constitutional changes will happen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-2782709/Mauritius-parliament-dissolved-election-lead-constitutional-change.html

The Labour government has been pretty succesful and the small island nation topped the Ibrahim Index of African Governance (IIAG) for the eight time in a row this year.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201410140448.html
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2014, 09:56:58 PM »

The Zimbabwe post gave me an idea for a song: Me and Bobby MooGobby. To be sung by Zombie Janice Joplin.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2014, 10:25:49 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2014, 10:46:03 PM by politicus »

The Zimbabwe post gave me an idea for a song: Me and Bobby MooGobby. To be sung by Zombie Janice Joplin.

The idea has already been taken (even if it isn't exactly Janis Joplin singing Wink )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BduAUenHAPY

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to eat"
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2014, 12:41:35 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2014, 01:01:02 PM by politicus »

Kenyan transgender activist Audrey Mbugua (by far Kenya's most famous transsexual), won a landmark case on Tuesday when the High Court ordered the Kenya National Examinations Council to change her name on her academic certificates and remove the male gender mark on Mbugua's certificates, issued in the name of Andrew Mbugua.

Transgender people in Kenya find it virtually impossible to get work because of the discrepancy between the gender on their certificates and the one they present as.

In July, Mbugua won another legal victory when the High Court ordered the National NGO Council to register her group Transgender Education and Advocacy and pay their legal fees.

The media attention attracted by Mbugua's litigation has raised the profile of transgender issues in Kenya a lot.

Mbugua has been nominated for the Dutch government's Human Rights Tulip Award for "her innovative and courageous work."

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2014, 01:00:40 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2014, 01:02:21 PM by politicus »

Zambian President Michael Sata (77) has died after being ill since May. Succession is a bit unclear as Vice President Dr. Guy Scott (70) is probably barred from taking over, since his parents where British born and a 1996 amendment to the constitution forbids citizens with non-Zambian parentage from running for President or acting as President.

Minister  of Defence and Justice Edgar Lungu has been acting President since Sata left Zambia on May 20 for treatment abroad.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201410290201.html

There is a Supreme Court ruling stating that the requirement that parents must be Zambian citizens deals only with those who were present in Zambia, or could have become Zambian at independence in 1964 (and chose not to) and since both Scotts parents became Zambians following independence he should be able to become President, but its all a bit unclear. If he is able to succeed Scott will become the first white President in Africa post-apartheid.

Guy Scott

Sata had a 20 year political career and finally won the Presidency in 2011, but his health failed. Tired old man even before he became ill.

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 02:55:54 AM »

Why was that amendment passed? 1996 was also the year Scott, popular Minister of Agriculture at the time, quit the ruling party to join the opposition. It seems likely it must have been targeted at him personally, therefore, by virtue of author intent, he clearly isn't eligible. Then again, the Court might just fudge the meaning because it's a crappy law and Scott is well regarded. Or I suppose it's even possible the law was targeted at someone else. But who?

Also, although it's not clear if Scott can be actual president, he can be and IS acting president.

Zambia's head of state is definitely a White guy right now. He just doesn't hold the official title of president.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2014, 03:07:59 AM »

The rule was made to prevent former President Kenneth Kaunda (whose father was Malawi-born) from contesting the 1996 presidential election (they even tried to strip Kaunda of his Zambian citizenship in 1999, claiming he was a Malawian).

Edgar Lungu is acting President, not Scott.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2014, 03:42:45 AM »

Alright, he is for now but this says he is supposed to hand over power to Scott:

https://www.zambianwatchdog.com/scott-to-take-over-as-president/

and this interview explicitly says that although he isn't allowed to be president, he is allowed to be caretaker president:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/7699583/dr-scott-i-presume/

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2014, 08:11:37 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2014, 01:01:51 PM by politicus »

Zambian constitutional crisis over who is to serve as Acting President is already under way.

When Guy Scott today called Acting President Edgar Lungu asking him to hand over the instruments of power, the Defence and Justice Minister + PF Secretary General refused to immediately cede power. Guy Scott responded by attempting to summon the heads of the armed services and security services to his home, but they declined. Lungu, who reportedly has support from senior officers, has refused to immediately hand over power and instead insists that the cabinet must sit and work through the issues according to protocol.

Brigadier General Godrey Miyanda: “It is my contention that Dr Guy Scott does NOT qualify to be President of Zambia under the current Constitution; and further that in view of this he does NOT qualify even to be appointed Vice President. I contend that the position of Republican President is ONE office comprising two tiers for purposes of continuity (the President and his Vice).”
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2014, 09:02:25 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2014, 01:32:09 PM by politicus »

The conflict in PF dates back to their 2011 congress, where Sata basically couped the party and forced them to vote for a single list composed of his own A-team wing thereby assuming full control of the party apparatus.
Fred M'membe, who is the editor of the countrys leading newspaper The Post, was an important part of this alliance (also nicknamed the cartel) and PFs youth wing has recently threatened to "deal with him" if he interferes in politics again.
In later August Sata's and Scott's chosen bid for successor Wynter Kabimba was fired both as Minister of Justice and PF General Secretary by his cabinet colleagues led by his rival the Minister of Finance Alexander Chikwanda. Both wings claim the other side is corrupt (as usual in Africa..).

http://zambiareports.com/2014/08/28/breaking-news-wynter-kabimba-fired/
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2014, 09:05:03 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/zambia/11195196/I-am-Africas-first-white-democratic-leader-says-Zambian-vice-president.html
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2014, 09:15:58 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2014, 11:23:06 AM by politicus »

Hopefully we will get more info about why this happened, it may indicate that Alexander Chikwanda has less control over the cabinet than assumed, or perhaps that he has decided the risk of damaging Zambia's international reputation by sidelining Scott is not worth it, since he has already outmaneuvered Kabimba. Another possibility is that he feared Lungu might become a rival if he was appointed.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2014, 06:14:04 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2014, 06:18:36 PM by politicus »

National Liberation War Veterans Association national chairman Commander Jabulani Sibanda has inadvertently confirmed that the corruption and extortion allegations being levelled against his patron Vice President Joice Mujuru are partly true!

In an interview with NewsDay yesterday Sibanda effectively admitted, that the allegations are true when he said it was wrong for the First Lady Grace Mugabe and other Zanu-PF officials to publicly criticise Vice President Mujuru for "crimes" which were committed by her late husband Retired General Solomon Mujuru!

Legal analysts say this is a tacit confirmation that Vice President Mujuru's hands might not be clean after all, since she were running a family business with her husband where she would know how equity would have been acquired in the companies in which they had an interest, and since she has inherited the late General Mujuru's entire estate.

In an interview last night Harare lawyer and legislator Mr Jonathan Samkange said that what  Sibanda was saying constituted a de facto confession.

"What Commander Sibanda is simply telling us is that his principal, which he so adores despite her inevitable fall, was equally guilty by association. It is common cause that this was a family business and Vice President Mujuru would obviously know that people were being extorted and she has not distanced herself from that."

Meanwhile Mujuru got standing ovations from the opposition MPs when parliament opened yesterday...

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2014, 07:17:29 AM »

Burkinabes are rioting to "disinfect themselves" of Blaise Compaore's 27-year rule, after a proposal to allow him to run again, and parliament was set ablaze:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29831262
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2014, 02:09:51 PM »

Solidarity!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2014, 03:49:37 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2014, 03:51:15 PM by Governor Varavour »

Call it a coup or call it a revolution, but the Burkinabe military  has dissolved Parliament, declared martial law, and is forming a transitional government; it appears Comapore is no longer in charge.

My bet: we will be disappointed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29840100
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2014, 04:26:14 PM »

Call it a coup or call it a revolution, but the Burkinabe military  has dissolved Parliament, declared martial law, and is forming a transitional government; it appears Comapore is no longer in charge.

My bet: we will be disappointed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29840100

Not me, you can only become disappointed if you had positive expectations in the first place.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2014, 04:39:53 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2014, 04:42:00 PM by Snowstalker »

Today Ouagadougou, tomorrow the world!
Atlas Has Shrugged