Gully Foyle's African News Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:22:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Gully Foyle's African News Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gully Foyle's African News Thread  (Read 16282 times)
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« on: January 22, 2010, 11:56:10 AM »

Thalassa had a great report on the Bijagós Archipelago a few months ago, and they noted that drug trafficking is a major problem, given that the geography and political situation of the area makes it a perfect area for such stuff.

Yep, Thalassa has great reports.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 11:36:50 AM »
« Edited: April 02, 2010, 11:40:02 AM by Bunoah »

Well, personally, I've a kind of problem with this thread. I mean, well, it surely have good intentions, but in the end it would be like all the rest, when we speak about Africa, we make an 'Africa bag' for 'poor little Africans'. First as if Africa was just a country, and furthermore in which we post all the bad stuffs from there 'but in which we will also try to post good stuffs'. Reminds me of something of, you know, the 'elementary school spirit' when it's about doing a 'good action' in an elementary school for 'poor little Africans' here or there. Ya know like a kind of 'Western good conscious' about Africa. So in the beginning there were a collection of different African news enchained in very short laps of time which maybe all of them deserved one thread since all of them depends on different complex situations of each regions of Africa. Then there has been the coup in Niger, that maybe deserved a thread too.

Anyhow for these kinds of reason I've had problems posting here to speak about issues raised in here personally.

Dunno, maybe I read too much in it, or I read it wrong, but, I'd prefer something related to a special issue concerning Africa, like coups, or weapons, or corruption, or anything. Some things that have an African coherence, instead of a succession of different mixed stuffs of which the only point they have in common is the same continent.

The FA or whatever happens to a member of the UK parliament have a thread! Any African news can have one!

Well, if what happens to UK Parliament's MPs have better chances to be discussed here than something happening in Africa for obvious reasons, in the same way that on African forums they would maybe put us in a bag too, I think I would have at least preferred just an 'Africa General Discussion', just to collect news from there, because this part of the world deserves to be discussed, but without that kind of 'we have to take care of the poor little Africans' Western connotation that I tended to feel in the beginning of the thread and that turned me off.

Well, maybe I just read too much, dunno, but here is why personally I haven't commented here some stuffs that I could have commented. Thanks anyways this comment has permit me to express that thought. Didn't before because there was the fact that there surely were a good intention, I tried to find a way, it has been that one.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies