Senate Dems should refuse to seat Scott Brown unless he wins 60% of the vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:55:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate Dems should refuse to seat Scott Brown unless he wins 60% of the vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate Dems should refuse to seat Scott Brown unless he wins 60% of the vote  (Read 1002 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2010, 07:46:44 PM »

If super-majorities are so awesome and crucial to the democratic process, then let us apply them to all votes in this great land!
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 07:47:40 PM »

If super-majorities are so awesome and crucial to the democratic process, then let us apply them to all votes in this great land!

Well, fair is fair...
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 07:52:25 PM »

lol. I think I'm going to change my username to "The 41st Senator" if he wins. Shocked
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 08:00:47 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2010, 08:05:16 PM by Lief »

No, but, let's be honest here guys. If Coakley loses, the Democrats in the Senate will only have 59 Seats, a paltry, minuscule majority that's a result of a deeply divided country. After all, the Republicans had a 59 or greater-seat majority as recently as 1923!
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 08:04:04 PM »

It's pretty pathetic that you won't be able to govern with the largest majority since the late 70's.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 08:06:41 PM »

What I don't understand is why the Senate can't be called for another vote on health care before Jan. 29.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 08:21:39 PM »

It's pretty pathetic that you won't be able to govern with the largest majority since the late 70's.

It's a shame Democrats are such wimps often. When the GOP controlled between 45 and 55 seats in the Senate between 1981 and 2007 (almost all the time), they managed to ram through their pro-wealthy agenda despite the fact that Democrats could ahve filibustered it. In addition, a lot of times many Democrats voted for their ideas--like the Reagan tax cuts, the Iraq War, and the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act. But it's much harder for Democrats to convince or scare Republicans into voting for their agenda.

BTW, in response to your question, No.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 08:26:25 PM »

Should they refuse to seat Martha Coakley unless she wins sixty percent of the vote?  UGH!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 08:27:05 PM »

Blame s**t called Republican leadership and filibuster
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 08:33:38 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2010, 08:37:18 PM by Colin Powell »

It's a shame Democrats are such wimps often. When the GOP controlled between 45 and 55 seats in the Senate between 1981 and 2007 (almost all the time), they managed to ram through their pro-wealthy agenda despite the fact that Democrats could ahve filibustered it. In addition, a lot of times many Democrats voted for their ideas--like the Reagan tax cuts, the Iraq War, and the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act. But it's much harder for Democrats to convince or scare Republicans into voting for their agenda.

I didn't get your last part. You don't find it dumb that you won't be able to govern with a clear majority? I find it pretty lame. Obstructed by one Senator, they can't get health care through. Congressional democrats need a damn spine, but hey, I'm not complaining. I'm a Republican. Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 08:38:16 PM »

I didn't get your last part. You don't find it dumb that you won't be able to govern with a clear majority? I find it pretty lame. Obstructed by one Senator, they can't get health care through. Congressional democrats need a damn spine, but hey, I'm not complaining. I'm a Republican. Smiley

I always knew you're good wit insurance company running the country, buddy Wink
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 08:39:38 PM »

It's funny that people think this thread calls for a serious response.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 09:06:33 PM »

That wasn't my point. My point is that Republicans are much better at tricking, scaring, and intimidating the opposition to vote for their agenda than the Democrats are.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 09:12:44 PM »

That's because republicans are obstructionists who will not compromise. They put their party before country. Maybe I am being harsh and I hope they will start working with democrats now that they don't have a filibuster proof majority. Still I have to say the obstructionism this last year was extremely petty.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 09:20:35 PM »

That's because republicans are obstructionists who will not compromise. They put their party before country. Maybe I am being harsh and I hope they will start working with democrats now that they don't have a filibuster proof majority. Still I have to say the obstructionism this last year was extremely petty.

Why do you hate liberty and justice and freedom and unicorns and gumdrops?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 09:25:51 PM »

The obsctructionism shouldn't be a big deal.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 09:36:42 PM »

You're implying that Democrats don't put their party before country.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 09:40:24 PM »

You're implying that Democrats don't put their party before country.

They are certainly not innocent but they are much better than Republicans. I mean they could have just not tried to pay for the healthcare bill, just borrow it all from China and not have to raise taxes. Basically follow the Republican model of fiscal responsibility.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 09:41:12 PM »

Your logic is poor, Lief, particularly worse than usual.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 09:56:13 PM »

Your logic is poor, Lief, particularly worse than usual.

Broken heart
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 11:13:10 PM »

Makes sense to me.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 11:15:27 PM »

First of all, this whole thread is pretty pathetic.

Secondly, you Dems really need another LBJ or you'll never get anything done.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 04:28:22 AM »

Not exactly, when you realize that the purpose of the Democratic Party is to blunt and subvert any moderate left-leaning tendencies in the electorate, leading them down the primrose path do disappointment, while maintaining the illusion of democracy. 

Properly understood, the 60 vote threshold, the structure of the Senate and all government, and the nature and actions of the Democratic party all serve very well the same purpose, the same interests, and most importantly the same people.  And we should congratulate them on a job well done, and a part just as important and necessary as the more exciting role reserved for the Republicans.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies