Poll: Nearly 1/5 may not fill out census form
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:11:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Poll: Nearly 1/5 may not fill out census form
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Poll: Nearly 1/5 may not fill out census form  (Read 1832 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2010, 02:57:05 PM »

By HOPE YEN
The Associated Press
Wednesday, January 20, 2010; 2:00 PM

WASHINGTON -- With the decennial census just weeks away, nearly 1 in 5 people say they aren't sure they will participate in the high-stakes head count, citing mostly a lack of interest but also a broader distrust of government.

A poll released Wednesday by the Pew Research Center highlights the challenges as the Census Bureau prepares to launch its tally in March. The findings come as some groups question whether the agency's $300 million outreach effort is doing enough to reach hard-to-count communities.

"The big picture message is they've got a lot of work to do in terms of informing people," said Andrew Kohut, president of the Pew Research Center. He cited young people in particular, as well as those with less education and Hispanics who have had less exposure to the census or government.

Overall, 90 percent of those surveyed called the population count "very important" or "somewhat important" for the country. Many were also familiar with the value of the census in redistributing U.S. House seats every 10 years and distributing billions of dollars in federal aid.

Still, 12 percent of U.S. residents said they weren't sure if they would fill out the government form, and another 6 percent said they were unlikely to or definitely would not do so. These people were more likely to be young adults 18-29 and lower-income people.

Asked why they were unlikely to participate, more than half said it was because they were too busy, not interested or weren't familiar with the census. One-fourth cited distrust of government or concerns about privacy.

Nearly one-third said they believe the data could be used to locate illegal immigrants or said they weren't certain if it could. Census director Robert Groves has repeatedly said the information would be kept confidential.

"In today's America, you can't reach everybody with one or two ads on two or three television networks," said Marc Morial, president of the National Urban League and chairman of the 2010 Census Advisory Committee. "It is the depth and breadth, who delivers the message, where it's placed and the frequency."

Last month, his group, along with the NAACP and the Revs. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, called for more paid advertising in black community newspapers, because blacks historically have been undercounted.

They're not alone in their complaints. The National Coalition of Latino Clergy and Christian Leaders is urging millions of illegal immigrants to boycott the census to protest inaction on immigration reform. The group said it appeared even less unlikely Congress would act after Republicans won in the special Massachusetts Senate election.

etc.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/20/AR2010012002784.html
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 03:06:39 PM »

If I would have posted that, BRTD would have accused me of some kind of bunker mentality.  Wink
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 03:09:12 PM »

Probably 1/10 can't
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 03:16:13 PM »

The method by which we do the census is idiotic in the first place. Maybe mass abstention will finally convince the powers that be to reform it.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 03:35:15 PM »

The method by which we do the census is idiotic in the first place. Maybe mass abstention will finally convince the powers that be to reform it.

do you support sampling?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 03:37:03 PM »

This article says 6 percent say it was unlikely they would fill out the census, and out of that only about 1/4 cited distrusted in government or privacy concerns. That translates into 1 1/2 percent.

The real headline is "Cash Strapped Newspaper Dramatizes Headline"

It's more cost effective than investigative journalism, I guess Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 03:42:29 PM »

That`s probably true and even an understatement, because A) every 7th American is illiterate and B) people lie in the polls -> see 2000 response rates of people mailing back their forms.

http://www.census.gov/dmd/www/response/2000response.html

(of course people might still fill out the form but forget to mail it, but hey Beet - 1.5% only ??)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 03:44:43 PM »

do you support sampling?

Of course.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 05:28:24 PM »

That`s probably true and even an understatement, because A) every 7th American is illiterate and B) people lie in the polls -> see 2000 response rates of people mailing back their forms.

http://www.census.gov/dmd/www/response/2000response.html

(of course people might still fill out the form but forget to mail it, but hey Beet - 1.5% only ??)

Wait...you're saying that 14% of Americans are illiterate?  I could buy it if you said that 1/7th of Americans are illiterate in English, but the Census is in many different languages.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 05:31:14 PM »

'Illiterate' has different meanings.
Rococo4

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 07:53:19 PM »

i bet a lot of people are afraid to fill out the Census - even though they state they by law cannot share your answers with other branches of Govt.  Who believes that..and who believes that the government is even competent enough to even enforce this.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 09:13:31 PM »

Indeed. Very few people would have trouble reading Dr. Seuss, but as far as understanding even a basic USA Today type newspaper article......
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 09:18:22 PM »

Disappointing.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 02:33:07 AM »

They're not alone in their complaints. The National Coalition of Latino Clergy and Christian Leaders is urging millions of illegal immigrants to boycott the census to protest inaction on immigration reform. The group said it appeared even less unlikely Congress would act after Republicans won in the special Massachusetts Senate election.

Thats so f***ing stupid! By not filling out the census forms, those immigrants cities and states will have fewer house seats and less federal money, its not going to make Congress do anything. Angry
Those coalitions will be hurting only the people they are supposed to be watching out for.

Last month, his group, along with the NAACP and the Revs. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, called for more paid advertising in black community newspapers, because blacks historically have been undercounted.

These guys have the right idea. The more people who get counted, the better.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 02:51:12 AM »

Hey, these retards will end up with proportionally less representation in Congress, so who's complaining?
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 02:57:45 AM »

Hey, these retards will end up with proportionally less representation in Congress, so who's complaining?

Those communities vote disproportionately Democrat, so it would not be without (some) consequences. But even aside from that, the whole point of the Census is that it be as accurate as possible. There's no reason to spend tens of millions of dollars to have a Census that is flat out wrong in some regions   cough 1990 cough.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 04:15:57 AM »

Those communities vote disproportionately Democrat, so it would not be without (some) consequences.

Yes, less Democrats in Congress.  Again, who's complaining?
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 03:43:54 AM »

Some people think they are too busy to fill out a simple 10 question survey?  The Census form for 2010 has to be the easiest, most straightforward survey in history:

1. How many people live in your home?
2. Are there any other people currently staying in your home that you did not include above?
3. Do you rent or own?
4. Phone number?
5. Name?
6. M/F?
7. Age and Birthday?
8. Are you Hispanic?
9. Race?
10. Do you have a second residence?

Don't believe it could be so simple?  Check it out for yourself: 2010 Census Form

Anyone who thinks this is too time consuming or invasive is just being a moron.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 09:31:02 AM »

I see no reason to answer question 4, so I shall not.  Plus, I have no straightforward answers for questions 1, 2 and 10.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 09:34:38 AM »

2. Are there any other people currently staying in your home that you did not include above?
3. Do you rent or own?
4. Phone number?
5. Name?
6. M/F?
7. Age and Birthday?
8. Are you Hispanic?
9. Race?

I won't answer the bolded stuff
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 12:21:17 PM »

The people who are too lazy I don't really mind - it's the crazy "They're gonna track us and put color-coded stickers on our mail boxes so they know which ones to kill!" crazies that I can't stand.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 01:14:16 PM »

The people who are too lazy I don't really mind - it's the crazy "They're gonna track us and put color-coded stickers on our mail boxes so they know which ones to kill!" crazies that I can't stand.

Gramps and I (among others, I'm sure) are neither lazy nor paranoid, but I think we both feel that some of the information they're asking is just unnecessary.  I mean, what purpose do they have for my phone number?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 01:25:13 PM »

Gramps and I (among others, I'm sure) are neither lazy nor paranoid, but I think we both feel that some of the information they're asking is just unnecessary.  I mean, what purpose do they have for my phone number?

Agreed, and I can assure you Inks, if I put 50 years old on the form that's good enough because they're not sending me a birthday card in August.   
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 01:36:04 PM »

I intend on checking the "other" box under "race," and writing-in "Human."
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 02:49:27 PM »

3. Do you rent or own?
4. Phone number?
5. Name?
6. M/F?
7. Age and Birthday?
8. Are you Hispanic?
9. Race?

I won't answer the bolded stuff

Birthday makes sense, because then they can adjust their age data as time goes on...although moving would make that useless.  Maybe they're just trying to guess your personal hint to break into your bank account.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies