Will Martha Coakley Get Successfully Primaried for the AG Position This Year?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:06:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will Martha Coakley Get Successfully Primaried for the AG Position This Year?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Go.
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Will Martha Coakley Get Successfully Primaried for the AG Position This Year?  (Read 1313 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2010, 12:10:19 AM »

I'd say Yes. I don't think many Democrats will forgive her for losing an election that she was supposed to win easily and for ruining healthcare reform. Even though she announced she'll run for another term as Massachusetts Attorney General, I think some other Democrat will successfully primary her.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 12:40:08 AM »

i wish
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 01:01:38 AM »

Of course not. You can't base a campaign off the fact that someone lost an election that you wanted them to win. How the hell do you make a TV ad like that?

Don't vote for Martha Coakley because SHE LOST TO SCOTT BROWN. Which makes her unqualified to be Attorney General because... uh... uh... wait for it...
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 01:08:27 AM »

Of course not. You can't base a campaign off the fact that someone lost an election that you wanted them to win. How the hell do you make a TV ad like that?

Don't vote for Martha Coakley because SHE LOST TO SCOTT BROWN. Which makes her unqualified to be Attorney General because... uh... uh... wait for it...

Even if she manages to get reelected as AG, her political career would probably be over in 2014-2015.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 01:19:40 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2010, 02:48:54 AM by Ogre Mage »

I tend to think not, but she might decide to retire, primary challenger or no.  She will never win higher office and just became the ultimate persona non grata to other Democrats.  If I were her, I'd crawl under a rock.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 01:36:07 AM »

Primary voters would probably be less likely to back some upstart state senator who sees her vulnerability for such a low-profile race. 
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 04:19:43 AM »

She likes her job, and people liked her in it. She also has the support of important state interest groups like the teachers and the gay groups. She will have few money problems.

The importance of her campaign is overrated. Brown won for one reason:healthcare. Brown was going nowhere in December, and was on track for a 16 point loss. What saved him was the online support he got when he began running on being the 41st vote, and there was nothing Coakley could do about that. Her problems were real, but they only became apparent when the race got close in the last week and a half, and even there, it was the negative campaigning by the DSCC that backfired which did far more damage.

I am pissed by the Obama people trying to scapegoat Martha.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 07:32:55 AM »

Martha Coakley is a terrible senate candidate, but just fine as Attorney General. Besides, the Mass Democratic party just doesn't work that way.
MArepublican
marepublican
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 04:16:39 PM »

A Republican State Rep Karyn Polito may give her a tough fight in the general
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 08:58:13 PM »

Assuming Coakley wins, she'd have won and lost a statewide campaign in the same state in the same year. When's the last time anyone managed that?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 09:09:39 PM »

Assuming Coakley wins, she'd have won and lost a statewide campaign in the same state in the same year. When's the last time anyone managed that?

Gordon Smith? Lost special Senate race in 1996 to Wyden then won regular for another seat in November.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 09:18:22 PM »

Gordon Smith? Lost special Senate race in 1996 to Wyden then won regular for another seat in November.

Appears to be so. Not as cool as I thought then.
nkpatel1279
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 02:07:36 PM »

In the 1996 Special Election in OR to succeed Bob Packwood- Gordon Smith-R was a State Senate President who was a generic Republican more conservative than Packwood- while Wyden was a senior US Congressman from Portland. Smith lost the race by a narrow margin. In the race to succeed Mark Hatfield-R-OR, Smith-R was running against a wealthy businessman Tom Bruggere with no political experience.

Getting elected state AG is totally different from getting elected Governor or US Senator. Governors or US Senators are about the individual than the party. AG,Sec of State, Treasurer is more about being a partisan bureacratic position.

For Democrats to win a competive Statewide election in MA- they need to form a coalition of Young Voters, Minority Voters, and Blue Collar voters. Young Voters and Minority voters are traditionally Democratic votes but need to be excited to vote. Blue Collar voters are swing voters.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 02:14:56 PM »

But the real question is: are you surprised?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 08:19:49 PM »

But the real question is: are you surprised?

Losing the race was mostly Coakley's fault. She should have immediately gone on the offensive and attacked Brown for supporting Bush's failed economic policies. Also she should have then criticized Obama for being too slow on healthcare and strongly argue in favor of a public option. She should have brought Bill Clinton and Obama (or at least just Clinton) to campaign for her immediately after she won the primary. Finally, she should not have went on vacation until after the election, and she should have also avoided making gaffes and controversial statements.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies