Chemical Ali hanged
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:21:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Chemical Ali hanged
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Chemical Ali hanged  (Read 2402 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 03:02:16 PM »

No, it's not. He shouldn't have been killed, but I've no reason to feel sad he was.

Here is the difference between justice and emotions, pro-death penalty are just unable to make this difference.

'Good riddance' is saying you're glad has been dead, for which here you have to thank death penalty, then you legitimate it.

"good riddance" is a feeling, something you think right after looking at what the bastard did. It woths for a particular case in a particular situation, and doesn't mean anything intellectually speaking.
At least it's what my "good riddance" was supposed to mean. I don't support death penalty, even for such persons.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 03:04:38 PM »

Next up: BIOLOGICAL KHALEED
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 03:15:27 PM »

Next up: BIOLOGICAL KHALEED NOURI AL-MALIKI
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 08:42:30 PM »

No, it's not. He shouldn't have been killed, but I've no reason to feel sad he was.

Here is the difference between justice and emotions, pro-death penalty are just unable to make this difference.

'Good riddance' is saying you're glad has been dead, for which here you have to thank death penalty, then you legitimate it.

If you say that hearing about a similar villain who died of cancer, does that legitimize cancer?
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 10:58:39 AM »

Nah but cancer is not something we decided, and most likely a guy with cancer, no matter what he has done, he will be provided some care in order to be cured of it - something that if you deny you break all the ethic of medicine. Death penalty is something we decide, and pardon, but it is simple, when you say 'Good riddance' about a guy killed by death penalty, you say thank you to death penalty, then you legitimate it.

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2010, 11:03:30 AM »

and pardon, but it is simple, when you say 'Good riddance' about a guy killed by death penalty, you say thank you to death penalty, then you legitimate it.

Well what should a person say then?

I would have to respectfully disagree with that opinion. I don't support state sponsored killing, but the world probably is a better place without Chemical Ali alive.

My question is this: If chemical Ali had died from natural causes a few days ago and people had also said "good riddance"....how is that really different from this? People simply are happy that he's gone, irrespective of the cause of his death.

People said "good riddance" when Strom Thurmond died as well, and to be honest, I was one of them.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 01:12:44 PM »

I can just try to reformulate it:

Dying by illness is not something we take the initiative of, and we will even have tried to cure him.

Killing by death penalty is something we take the initiative of.

In the 1st case, we can do nothing to avoid it and we will even have tried to avoid it the more we can, in the 2nd case we did it. In the 1st case, you can say whatever you want you it doesn't engage moral human responsibilities, in the 2nd case it engages human moral responsibilities, saying thank you to guys who killed someone, legitimating the fact that some humans can in some context kill other humans, here legitimating the death penalty.

That's a 1st point, but I think there is even a point beyond that.

Each time you're glad of the death of someone it's a bit like killing that one. Yes, you show the contentment of its death, so you thank what it killed it, even no matter whether there is a human responsibility ultimately, you think it can be a good thing he has been dead, so you legitimate the idea that the death of someone is a good thing, and if the idea that the death of someone can be a good thing, why not killing him? That would be less hypocrite.

And also because otherwise that would be like throwing in the bin the fact that everybody needs some care in order to be cured, or needs to be saved in some perilous situations, because yes, why not letting diseases or perils taking the guys that you don't like?

I'm not saying all people happy of the death of someone are murders, but maybe that it could be good to wonder to the meaning of the expression of a contentment toward the death of someone.

I'm not saying this is being a bad people to be 'happy' of the death of someone, I understand very much the spontaneous reactions, but should people just stick to their spontaneous reactions? Wouldn't that be better to have some moral exigences? You can spontaneously feel something good about the fact that someone has gone, but then you can also try to take some distances with this feeling, and try to go beyond in the name of a moral exigence, and then beyond the 1st feeling you had inside, you can act and speak in order to make live that moral exigence outside, in the society. Here the exigence that the death of someone isn't a good thing to be wished.

Because outside of the fact that I am, btw, still waiting for someone to show me the evidence that we have a part of choice in the acts we do (trials are weird, we do as if a person who did something chose to do it, but we haven't the slightest evidence of it...how is this justice a bit...rational?), then if we can't prove the guy chose, how can we say he deserved to be harmed?

Outside of this then, which is the missing of an actual base to accuse someone to have actually chosen what he did, how exactly the world would be a better place without a guy who did bad things? He will be dead, period, he won't be here anymore, period. Instead of trying to wonder about how it could have happened he did bad things, by which processes, in order to understand how works reality and what has been wrong in order to find solutions for the future, the death of someone, decided by us or not, is just, BAM, a suppression of the visibility of a problem, thinking the problems came from the man.

How then is that legitimate and logical to wish for the death of someone?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 01:13:41 PM »

If I were the judge, I'd sentence him to live in prison. However, I'm not, and I can't prevent him from being executed. So, just good riddance.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies