Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 07:45:35 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  History
| | |-+  Alternative History (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | | |-+  George H.W. Bush wins in 1992?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: George H.W. Bush wins in 1992?  (Read 2097 times)
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2010, 12:44:39 am »
Ignore

What do you think would've happened differently if George H.W. Bush won the election in '92 and thus served from 1993 to 1997? What would've been different in terms of foreign policy, economics and socially? Would Clinton have run in 1996 had he been beaten in '92?
Max Electric
Rookie
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:01:02 pm »
Ignore

No Hillarycare = No Republican Revolution

Greenspan + Cyclical nature of economy = Bush Boom

Somalia = Somalia

Waco = Waco

1996 = Gore or Kerrey win over Quayle.

"The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun." - R. Buckminster Fuller
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 03:42:56 am »
Ignore

His eldest son never becomes president.
Anthony
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 10:07:44 pm »
Ignore

His eldest son never becomes president.

Not neccessarily true. Dubya still could have run for governor while his dad was still president. And it is still possible that if a Democrat won in 1996, he still could have run for president either in 2000 or 2004.

Although if it was true, then I kind of wish Bush Sr. had been reelected just so we wouldn't have had to deal with his son's disastrous presidency.

"A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned to walk forward."
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Bo
Rochambeau
YaBB God
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 11:47:33 pm »
Ignore

Although if it was true, then I kind of wish Bush Sr. had been reelected just so we wouldn't have had to deal with his son's disastrous presidency.

Blame Gore for that. Gore essentially blew an election that he was supposed to win in a landslide.

Also, I think that having Bush Sr. serve two terms might have increased his son's (either George Jr.'s or Jeb's) chances of becoming President since his legacy would probably be somewhat better and thus more people would be inclinced to vote for one (or both) of his sons.

perdedor
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 04:38:43 pm »
Ignore

Blame Gore for that. Gore essentially blew an election that he was supposed to win in a landslide.

Ummmm....what? I recall one early 2000 poll that had Gore trailing by over 40 points. If anything, it was a hell of a comeback.

Bo
Rochambeau
YaBB God
Israel

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 07:28:07 pm »
Ignore

Ummmm....what? I recall one early 2000 poll that had Gore trailing by over 40 points. If anything, it was a hell of a comeback.

The most pro-Bush poll I saw was Bush by 19%, back in 1999 I believe. Also, Bush Sr. was trailing Dukakis by 15-20% throughout the summer, yet still won by a landslide in the fall due to the good economy, Reagan's popularity, and lack of foreign wars/threats. Many voters don't really begin to pay attention to the race until after Labor Day. Similarly, in 2000, Clinton was popular, the economy was good, and there were no foreign threats or wars--yet unlike Bush Sr., Gore never managed to open a large lead over Bush and ended up losing the election by several hundred votes (the margin would have very likely been larger had it not been for Bush's DUI story). In fact, Clinton's popularity on electin day was higher (about 60%) than Reagan's was (about 52-53%), yet Gore still managed to blow it.

Anthony
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 08:07:14 pm »
Ignore

Also, I think that having Bush Sr. serve two terms might have increased his son's (either George Jr.'s or Jeb's) chances of becoming President since his legacy would probably be somewhat better and thus more people would be inclinced to vote for one (or both) of his sons.

Ummm...just to let you know, I never actually said that in my post that it was anybody's fault. I was simply responding to Magic 8-Ball, who suggested that Dubya wouldn't have been elected if Bush Sr. was reelected, and I was just saying I wished that Bush Sr. was reelected if that had been true.

I wasn't neccessarily blaming anybody for this, though I do agree that Gore does deserve some blame for not running a very good campaign.

"A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned to walk forward."
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Senator Libertas
Libertas
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -6.43

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 04:42:15 pm »
Ignore

Well at least the country would have been spared Bill Clinton...
Scam of God
Einzige
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 07:33:15 am »
Ignore

Quayle would never have been the Republican nominee. Dole would still probably have gotten his shot.

Life is change --
How it differs from the rocks
I've seen their ways
Too often for my liking

New worlds to gain
My life is to survive
And be alive
For you

- Jefferson Airplane, "Crown of Creation"

The right to die in Iraq was a right not previously possessed by Americans for twelve long years.  Bush rectified that.
Bo
Rochambeau
YaBB God
Israel

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 10:24:24 pm »
Ignore

You make it sound like Clinton was all that bad.

Senator Libertas
Libertas
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -6.43

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 10:38:53 pm »
Ignore

You make it sound like Clinton was all that bad.

Clinton was a scumbag, so of course I would rather he had lost in 1992.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout