If the Tories had lost in 92
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:06:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  If the Tories had lost in 92
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If the Tories had lost in 92  (Read 423 times)
redcommander
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 13, 2010, 05:02:33 PM »
« edited: February 13, 2010, 05:25:21 PM by redcommander »

If the Tories had lost in England in 1992, and Kinnock became Prime Minister, would Labor have gone on to win the 97 elections? Or Would the Conservatives have come back?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 08:50:43 PM »

The Conservatives would probably win in 1997. I have little knowlege of British politics, but didn't John Major's popularity decline primarily because of the economic problems of the early-mid-1990s?
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 10:48:28 PM »

The Conservatives would probably win in 1997. I have little knowlege of British politics, but didn't John Major's popularity decline primarily because of the economic problems of the early-mid-1990s?

Yes I believe so. Part of Major's problem was that his time in office his response to the Economic recession of the early 1990's tarnished the argument that the Conservatives were the part of Fiscal Responsibility. Several Tory Mps also got caught up in various scandals, and Labor re-branded itself to become more centrist when Blair took over the party leadership. Major also faced the problem of a very narrow majority in the House of Commons which made governing somewhat difficult. If Kinnock had won, I believe also he probably would have lost in 97.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies