How can the GOP win back suburbia?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:44:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How can the GOP win back suburbia?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: How can the GOP win back suburbia?  (Read 4801 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2010, 03:51:33 PM »

The "evangelical takeover" of the GOP occured back in the 1980s when Republicans were doing quite well.

There's simply no proof to support your contention that social conservatism costs Republicans votes. Indeed, the evidence suggests the opposite. As I stated earlier, gay marriage bans passed by landslide proportions in the suburbs.

They took it to another level during the 90's and during the Bush administration.   The total lack of anything moderate in the Republican Party is only a fairly recent development.  As far as the gay marriage bans that passed in the suburbs, how many of those suburbs are Republican??  You also have some of those who may not personally agree with Gay marriage and may even vote to ban it in their own state, but think its insane to have a FMA.  Also isn't the point of this thread to discuss what has happened to the GOP in suburban areas that use to be GOP that are no longer GOP??  not suburban areas that still are GOP??

Fact of the matter is shoving religion down everyones throat and harping on social conservative issues important to southern Evangelicals have deeply hurt the GOP in many suburban areas which use to make up the old base of the GOP.   Banning abortion, banning and bashing Gay marriage, bashing the repeal of DADT (bashing gays themselves) trying to shove religion into schools via creationism, sure as hell isn't the way for the GOP to get back suburban voters that they have lost in areas they use to dominate.  Its not going to work here on Long Island, nor in Westchester, same in suburban Philly, as well as in Northern Virginia,not to mention suburban Denver, etc..

I don't know much about the NYC metro area, but how much of an effect do you think socially conservative issues help in places like Weiner's or McMahon's district?  They both seem like somewhat "Archie Bunker-esque" areas or at least have elements of it.  And Weiner's district moved heavily away from the Democrats since Al Gore and John Kerry, but still a Dem district.  Unfortunately I see a slight GOP trend in what I would call "outer urban" white areas such as Northeast/South Philly and as shown in Massachusetts the election of Scott Brown. 

Maybe a little in portions of Staten Island, some of the Orthodox portions of Brooklyn and the Howard Beach portions in Weiner's district, but those areas are pretty much already voting Republican. 

My family is pretty much from Weiner's portion of the Queens district, my dad grew up in Ozone Park which is in the 9th, my mom grew up in what is now Meek's district in Richmond Hill, but was 3 blocks from the border with the 9th.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2010, 05:28:51 PM »

Sorry if someone has said this, but it already has.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2010, 06:35:48 PM »

Sorry if someone has said this, but it already has.

Not compeletely, based on Obama's victory margins in many suburbs.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2010, 10:21:04 PM »

The "evangelical takeover" of the GOP occured back in the 1980s when Republicans were doing quite well.

There's simply no proof to support your contention that social conservatism costs Republicans votes. Indeed, the evidence suggests the opposite. As I stated earlier, gay marriage bans passed by landslide proportions in the suburbs.

They took it to another level during the 90's and during the Bush administration.   The total lack of anything moderate in the Republican Party is only a fairly recent development.  As far as the gay marriage bans that passed in the suburbs, how many of those suburbs are Republican??  You also have some of those who may not personally agree with Gay marriage and may even vote to ban it in their own state, but think its insane to have a FMA.  Also isn't the point of this thread to discuss what has happened to the GOP in suburban areas that use to be GOP that are no longer GOP??  not suburban areas that still are GOP??

Fact of the matter is shoving religion down everyones throat and harping on social conservative issues important to southern Evangelicals have deeply hurt the GOP in many suburban areas which use to make up the old base of the GOP.   Banning abortion, banning and bashing Gay marriage, bashing the repeal of DADT (bashing gays themselves) trying to shove religion into schools via creationism, sure as hell isn't the way for the GOP to get back suburban voters that they have lost in areas they use to dominate.  Its not going to work here on Long Island, nor in Westchester, same in suburban Philly, as well as in Northern Virginia,not to mention suburban Denver, etc..

I don't know much about the NYC metro area, but how much of an effect do you think socially conservative issues help in places like Weiner's or McMahon's district?  They both seem like somewhat "Archie Bunker-esque" areas or at least have elements of it.  And Weiner's district moved heavily away from the Democrats since Al Gore and John Kerry, but still a Dem district.  Unfortunately I see a slight GOP trend in what I would call "outer urban" white areas such as Northeast/South Philly and as shown in Massachusetts the election of Scott Brown. 

Maybe a little in portions of Staten Island, some of the Orthodox portions of Brooklyn and the Howard Beach portions in Weiner's district, but those areas are pretty much already voting Republican. 

My family is pretty much from Weiner's portion of the Queens district, my dad grew up in Ozone Park which is in the 9th, my mom grew up in what is now Meek's district in Richmond Hill, but was 3 blocks from the border with the 9th.

Staten Island and South Philly have a lot of similarities, obviously.  I'm surprised MTV didn't/couldn't recruit a South Philly kid for Jersey Shore.  That would have been hilarious. 

Anyways, it looks as if the GOP may have an urban 'beachead' in places where right winged urban populism can take place.  The Scott Brown map shows just that- he did best in those parts of MA.  A lot of areas are ancestrally Democratic, but only because of unions.    I'm not so sure if the suburbs are winnable for the GOP anymore with that being said.  Not sure about New York, but I know in Philadelphia there was more suburban-urban animosity in the 1980s.  Not so much now, but more shall I say racial tension within the city and dare I say the GOP has somewhat successfully captured some of that.  With Obama in office, I can definitely sense it albeit I don't agree with them.  Not to dust off an old thing, but I can see Allyson Schwartz to not break 60 this term and Pat Murphy already got downgraded to Likely Dem according to Cook.
Conservative frontier
JC
United States

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2010, 01:20:42 PM »

The GOP doesn't need Long Island or any of those  liberal subrubs in states we never win in anyways.

Stop crying over a lost cause. New York will NEVER Go republican again. End of story, and i'm from NY.

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2010, 09:02:15 PM »

The GOP doesn't need Long Island or any of those  liberal subrubs in states we never win in anyways.

Stop crying over a lost cause. New York will NEVER Go republican again. End of story, and i'm from NY.

The GOP doesn't need Virginia??  They don't need Colorado??
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2010, 07:54:40 PM »

The GOP doesn't need Virginia??  They don't need Colorado??

"We don't need no stinking cities/suburbs!"
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2010, 07:02:31 AM »

Staten Island and South Philly have a lot of similarities, obviously.  I'm surprised MTV didn't/couldn't recruit a South Philly kid for Jersey Shore.  That would have been hilarious. 

What similarities are those? Philly sucks.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies