Minnesota Gubernatorial thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:03:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Minnesota Gubernatorial thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Minnesota Gubernatorial thread  (Read 12544 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2010, 11:06:43 PM »

Rybak addressing the convention floor...

I also think those numbers I mentioned earlier for the 6th ballot were wrong, FWIW
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2010, 11:10:53 PM »

Rybak concedes.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2010, 11:13:15 PM »

Sad
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2010, 11:20:08 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2010, 11:21:58 PM by Meeker »

This process sucks, BTW. Rybak had the most support from elected delegates and MAK basically won because two state legislators decided to throw their support to her (probably in exchange for some favor). Thus is politics though.

This may also be good for Rybak's career in the long run. I suspect the Republicans were going to hold the governorship regardless of who the DFL nominated. He can give it another go in 2014.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2010, 11:34:28 PM »

This process sucks, BTW. Rybak had the most support from elected delegates and MAK basically won because two state legislators decided to throw their support to her (probably in exchange for some favor). Thus is politics though.

This may also be good for Rybak's career in the long run. I suspect the Republicans were going to hold the governorship regardless of who the DFL nominated. He can give it another go in 2014.

I doubt it actually. Really lousy candidates this time. BTW Tom Emmer has just co-sponsored a rather blatantly obviously unconstitutional and downright idiotic bill stating that no federal laws passed apply to Minnesota unless the legislature approves them with a 2/3 majority. Not kidding.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2010, 01:01:44 AM »

I doubt it actually. Really lousy candidates this time. BTW Tom Emmer has just co-sponsored a rather blatantly obviously unconstitutional and downright idiotic bill stating that no federal laws passed apply to Minnesota unless the legislature approves them with a 2/3 majority. Not kidding.

Rather humorous, really, in the same way watching a playground squabble is humorous. "We won't listen to you unless we say we do!"
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2010, 03:39:21 AM »

Candidate with two last names = Automatic loss.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2010, 07:26:43 AM »

And the DFL continues their streak of choosing terrible candidates for Governor! Good job, guys!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2010, 11:45:06 AM »

Luckily the GOP aren't going to nominate someone much better. Arne Carlson and Tim Pawlenty circa 2002 were certainly better candidates than someone even less interesting or inspiring than Kelliher or someone who could make Bachmann look sane.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2010, 11:49:23 AM »

I'm hoping Rybak gets picked for Lt. Gov.

It's practically written in stone that the Lt. Gov. nominee be a female (I believe the last time a major party nominated a male for Lt. Gov. was with Alec Olson in 1978, and that's counting the IP as a major party.), but with a female nominee that's obviously not the rule.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2010, 12:12:18 PM »

I think that might be too much Minneapolis. I'd guess she'll go with some state legislator from up North.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2010, 01:52:06 PM »

Any chance she loses the primary? Dayton presumably still has boatloads of personal money to spend, and he'd probably have a better shot.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2010, 06:57:54 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2010, 07:02:30 PM by Words Come Back »

Dayton doesn't seem to be generating much enthusiasm. He made one fundraising push and spent more money on that than he raised.

I hope we get more polls now. I will consider Dayton for my primary vote if he consistently polls better. For now we have to wait and see who the GOP nominates though.

I think that might be too much Minneapolis. I'd guess she'll go with some state legislator from up North.

Eh, that's probably true. Rukavina is the most likely choice out of that.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2010, 12:40:37 PM »

GOP convention begins today. Some news on that side:

-Revelations have came out that Tom Emmer received TWO DWIs in the past. Looks worse too considering he sponsored a bill last year that would've had the effect of weakening record keeping of DWIs. Seifert is hammering him hard on this.
-Emmer has also chosen his running mate, Annette Meeks. She is a Republican activist with absolutely no history of elected office. She does sit on the unelected Metropolitan Council, but this is something Emmer has condemned in the past as government waste.
-Palin has endorsed Emmer.

In a nutshell, Emmer is shaping up to be a worse and worse candidate every day. I'm rooting for him of course.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2010, 03:36:45 PM »

BTW, I actually would support the DWI bill Emmer sponsored. Just looks bad coming from such a guy. Especially with the GOP base.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2010, 05:03:59 PM »

Seifert withdraws after the second ballot and gives it to Emmer.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2010, 05:41:52 PM »

Seifert withdraws after the second ballot and gives it to Emmer.

WOOHOO!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2010, 06:02:12 PM »

Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2010, 06:12:59 PM »

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2010, 06:27:52 PM »

I think this race will be eerily similar to 1998.  Both parties nominated great candidates for their respective bases, but neither are particularly appealing to the middle... though I think MAK is definitely the less acerbic of the two main parties and if she plays it cool, could do well.

Still, Tom Horner, the main candidate for the IP endorsement, is a well polished former Republican who is taking a very moderate approach on most issues.. though he is siding with the DFL much more on tax policy (basically... we can't fix a budget deficit that is equal to 20% of our biennial spending with cuts alone).

So who knows... the problem with the three parties in MN is that the DFL and IP are way too similar on the issues that Minnesotans care about (education, healthcare, transportation, environment)... so they split up the sane vote while the hard rightwing takes the cake for being solid behind their candidate.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2010, 10:48:29 PM »

Seifert actually made a good point right before the convention, in addition to being extremely unqualified, Emmer's Lt. Gov. pick results in no geographic balance. He's from the exurbs in Wright county, she's from Minneapolis (where of course she will have absolutely no homeground appeal whatsoever). Not the best lineup for rural Minnesota. Really Emmer's Lt. Gov. choice was so lousy, and clearly designed for nothing but winning the convention.

Works exactly as Kelliher needs and gives her time to actually make a good planned pick.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2010, 06:01:40 AM »

Is there any evidence that picking a Lt. Governor for geographic balance has any appreciable effect on voters? I can't imagine most people know, or even care, who the Lt. Governor is or what they do.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2010, 06:15:56 AM »

Is there any evidence that picking a Lt. Governor for geographic balance has any appreciable effect on voters? I can't imagine most people know, or even care, who the Lt. Governor is or what they do.

If it's just some random person from Region X it probably isn't going to help. But if it's a well-known and/or respected pick from Region X it would probably help to some extent. The Bergen County results in the New Jersey race last year are a pretty good example of this.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2010, 09:57:47 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2010, 09:59:55 AM by I know the best way out of here for what I fear is missing »

Normally I agree, but Emmer's pick is so blatantly partisan it makes it almost impossible for him to move to the center or convince voters he's not going to govern like how the DFL demonization of him will claim he will.

Anyway, I wonder if the IP candidate can break double digits? There's going to be plenty of swing voters who won't be able to stomach either candidate. Not quite on the level of Franken/Coleman, but more than most races in recent memory.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2010, 12:35:12 PM »

What a lousy race.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies