Greatest Presidents that never were (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:32:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Greatest Presidents that never were (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Greatest Presidents that never were  (Read 33819 times)
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« on: June 04, 2010, 11:39:06 PM »

Alexander Hamilton

Thomas Dewey (Not in 1944, he would've been a horrible WWII president, but in 1948. Maybe he should've won.)

Douglas MacArthur, perhaps in 1956. I say 1956 because I like Ike and think he did a great job during his first term, but that he shouldn't have had a second term and that time might've tempered Douglas' ego and impetuousness. Outside of military issues, I've read he was rather moderate.

Richard Nixon (in 1960). While Kennedy did add a great sense of spirit and optimism to the nation, perhaps the Cuban Missile Crisis could've been averted under a 1961-1965/1969 Nixon term and maybe we might not have gone to Vietnam.

George McGovern (in 1972) While some of McGovern's economic and social ideas were good, his Vietnam policy might've been a disaster. Considering though what the re-election of Nixon, though I like him, put us through with Watergate, McGovern might've been the better candidate with the benefit of hindsight. Nixon would've left the political arena in 1973 with an intact and great political career, as well. If I lived in 1972 I'd have voted for Nixon though.

Gerald Ford (should've won in 1976). While 1976 was not a great year on either the Dem or Republican side, I think we can safely say he probably would've done a better job than Carter. I do wish however that he would've picked Reagan as his running mate instead of Dole in '76. Ford and Reagan would've made a good team (Reagan thought so too as he offered to make Ford his VP in 1980). If Ford did a good job, Reagan might've been a shoe in for '80 anyway and we could've avoided the Carter embarrassment. However Carter does deserve credit for re-igniting the Cold War.

William H. Taft (1916); He was the best out of several mediocre to poor candidates). He might not have gotten us involved in WWI and promoted the League of Nations, and he could've perhaps undone some of Wilson's racist policies. He doesn't seem to have been as demented or as self righteous as Wilson. I think Wilson had a messiah complex.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies