Are you planning on voting in this year's midterm elections?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:37:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Are you planning on voting in this year's midterm elections?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Are you planning on voting in this year's midterm elections?
Democrat: Yes

Democrat: No

Republican: Yes

Republican: No

independent/third party: Yes

independent/third party: No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Are you planning on voting in this year's midterm elections?  (Read 7738 times)
KuntaKinte
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 02:41:49 PM »

I will be voting this year, but in the Swedish general elections, not American Midterms.

Ottawa municipal elections for me Squinting

I'll vote in the North Rhine-Westphalia state elections :-)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 09:02:40 PM »

Yes.  I'll be voting in the Republican primary, doing my best to ensure that Bauer doesn't win the gubernatorial nod.  By the time of the general election, I expect that there will likely be an amendment or two to vote, but it is unlikely that any of the general election races other than Superintendent of Education will be competitive.  That race usually skews toward the Democrats since the Republicans of late have tended to nominate doctrinaire voucher supporters who are seen as being in favor of dismantling public education altogether.

Note: I wouldn't mind a decent voucher system, but the sorts of proposals that have been made the past few years would basically divert $1000 to $2000 to the parents of people who would have put their children in private schools anyway, so they aren't really voucher systems that would do anything to actually improve the schools
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 09:57:47 PM »

Yes, absolutely.  The Gubernatorial race for Oklahoma this year looks to be a real cat fight between Democrat Lt Governor Jari Askins and former Republican Lt Governor Mary Fallin.  When I register to vote at my new address, i will change my registration to the Republican party, so I'll probably vote for Fallin.  Coburn will win the Senate race without too much effort, most likely, and my congressman, Tom Cole, looks to be running unopposed currently.  There may some state questions to vote on in November, but its still early for the questions.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 10:03:41 PM »

D: No. I don't want to bother.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 10:05:28 PM »

Yes(I), since my 18th birthday comes just in time for the general election. Can't wait to input my vote for Governor. Wink
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2010, 10:16:34 PM »

Yes, of course (R)

More importantly, I'm voting in our county general election in August for Shelby County's next Mayor, Mark Luttrell!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 10:38:48 PM »

Yes, of course (R)

More importantly, I'm voting in our county general election in August for Shelby County's next Mayor, Mark Luttrell!

Your county general elections are separate from your state general elections?  I didn't know that was done.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2010, 10:41:18 PM »

You can always move to Minnesota and vote here!  I'm sure the IP would be glad to have you.

As for me.. of course.. primary and general.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 10:45:29 PM »

Of course, I always vote in every election I'm eligible to vote in. Even if it were for Alton dogcatcher, I'd request an absentee ballot.

Just one?  In IL that's surprising Tongue

Well....one for the dog, and one for the catcher maybe.....but any more and it'd have to be in Cook County.

If you don't mind my asking, who did you vote for in Tuesday's primary?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 11:00:51 PM »

Thats not a good sign for Democrats
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The 2010 Mid-terms will be the first elections I get to vote in so of coarse im going to.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 11:03:42 PM »

Message to Democrats:  If you want to keep your majority, do not stay home, otherwise, don't complain when the Republicans clean your plow.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2010, 11:08:02 PM »

Yes. While I'm unhappy with a lot of Democrats, I'm not especially unhappy with Boxer or Brown.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2010, 11:08:47 PM »

Yes, of course (R)

Your county general elections are separate from your state general elections?  I didn't know that was done.

County elections in South Carolina aren't separate, but municipal elections are.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2010, 11:08:54 PM »

What about Boxer and Brown? Huh
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2010, 11:10:33 PM »

Yes, of course (R)

County elections in South Carolina aren't separate, but municipal elections are.

Is there a reason for that?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2010, 11:13:42 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2010, 11:21:40 PM by Frodo »

Message to Democrats:  If you want to keep your majority, do not stay home, otherwise, don't complain when the Republicans clean your plow.

It's not a majority worth fighting for.  I think they have demonstrated that abundantly over the past year.  

Next time, before we set about building another Democratic congressional majority, it might be helpful to actually build a movement that is powerful and influential enough to change the trajectory of this country, so much so that even Republicans will feel compelled to tend to their left the way moderate and conservative Democrats (who have an outsized influence within the party) currently gaze nervously to their right.    

With conservatives still holding a plurality in this country (virtually unchanged from when George W. Bush had just won a second term), there really is no point in working to elect Democrats to advance a progressive agenda if the country still leans right.  
Deldem
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -7.74

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2010, 11:38:50 PM »

Absolutely.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2010, 12:45:43 AM »

Statewide elections are run by the State Election Commission in conjunction with the County Election Commissions.  State and County offices and election dates are set by State law, not County law. (This is a holdover from the pre-Reynolds v. Sims days when each county's delegation in the General Assembly also served as that county's council.)

By contrast, the municipalities run the elections and set the election dates themselves.  Some do choose to set the date for the general election, but most do not.  (The town I live in uses the Tuesday after the first Monday of November, but in odd-numbered years instead of the even-numbered years of the general elections.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2010, 12:46:59 AM »

Statewide elections are run by the State Election Commission in conjunction with the County Election Commissions.  State and County offices and election dates are set by State law, not County law. (This is a holdover from the pre-Reynolds v. Sims days when each county's delegation in the General Assembly also served as that county's council.)

By contrast, the municipalities run their elections and set the election dates themselves.  Some do choose to set the date for the general election, but most do not.  (The town I live in uses the Tuesday after the first Monday of November, but in odd-numbered years instead of the even-numbered years of the general elections.)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2010, 03:12:33 AM »

By contrast, the municipalities run their elections and set the election dates themselves.  Some do choose to set the date for the general election, but most do not.  (The town I live in uses the Tuesday after the first Monday of November, but in odd-numbered years instead of the even-numbered years of the general elections.)

Interesting.  I sometimes hear rumblings about the idea that municipal/local elections should be geared toward a smaller, more educated electorate, and wondered if it had more sway elsewhere.  I guess maybe not.  Thanks.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2010, 05:42:33 AM »

If you don't mind my asking, who did you vote for in Tuesday's primary?

I cast votes for Pat Quinn for Governor, and David Hoffman for Senate.

At least one of them won Wink

I would have seriously considered voting GOP for Governor under certain circumstances if Dillard had won the Republican nomination (it's still theoretically possible, seeing as he's only down by 400 votes.), but I can't vote for Brady in good conscience. Religious right-winger.

For Senate, Giannoulias defeated Hoffman handily. I lean towards supporting Giannoulias in the general, but I suppose things can change by November.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2010, 11:11:56 AM »

The real race is in the primary, given that I live in a D+23 district, but I'll still vote in the general as well.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2010, 11:37:54 AM »

Interesting.  I sometimes hear rumblings about the idea that municipal/local elections should be geared toward a smaller, more educated electorate, and wondered if it had more sway elsewhere.  I guess maybe not.  Thanks.

Minnesota is the same way, though most cities have their municipal elections on even-numbered years. I think the reason Minneapolis and St. Paul do in odd-numbered years is so people can pay attention to those elections instead of being distracted by bigger ones. Which does kind of make sense, but results in boring elections when ran like last year.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2010, 11:57:15 AM »

Yes, of course (R)

Yeah it's strange.  We have the county primary in May, then the county general paired with the state/fed primary in August.  Whichever party has an exciting state/fed primary has an advantage in the County general election.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2010, 03:13:02 PM »

Weird dates for local elections are why I'll always remember 9/11/2001 was a Tuesday, as there was a local election that day where I was living then.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies