"Ignorance of the law is no excuse" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:08:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you think the above term is appropriate?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: "Ignorance of the law is no excuse"  (Read 7530 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« on: February 03, 2010, 10:39:13 AM »

Using Joe's posting a bit:  "Ignorance of the law is a pretty damn good excuse for breaking relatively obscure laws.  Especially when little has been done to publicize the law in question, or perhaps correct widespread misconceptions about it.""  I certainly agree with this sentiment.  On the big stuff you better be careful.

For example, I have carefully reviewed the Concealed Carry laws in all surrounding states.  I can legally carry in WV, but I can't in NY, OH, and MD (I don't go to Jersey so who cares).  No excuse for carrying illegally.

The example Franzl gave is one where ignorance is no excuse too.  It's easy enough to look up online where you can legally have a 15 year old blow you.

All in all, I'd answer - maybe.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 12:20:27 PM »

Joe, in my view, certain "crimes" are universally known, even if not practiced in certain countries.........causing harm or killing someone, you know you're going to jail for that almost everywhere.  Banging a 15 year old might be, and probably is no problemo in the disgusting Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, but even the Saudi's know you don't bang 15 year olds in the U.S. without a problem cropping up.

Unless your head is in the sand, these aren't cases of ignorance, they're cases of ignoring the law.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 12:43:02 PM »

Again, the key point here is that the onus is on the state to inform people of the law, not of people to inform themselves.

If I'm caught committing a misdemeanor in another location without the knowledge that it was any kind of crime in the first place, I'll apologize for having done so, but that's as far as I'm prepared to go.  I would vehemently resist any attempts to prosecute me.

I'm certainly not prepared to trawl through the criminal codes of every state/country I plan to visit, and it would be ridiculous to expect that of anyone.

How do you expect state and local governments to live up to the obligations you have given them, since looking through criminal codes isn't an option?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 01:06:15 PM »

To answer your question, Gramps, that's not my problem.

I find it alarming that you guys are happier defending the state over the individual.  So much for the government being afraid of the populace...

Joe, I think we agreed that on the obscure laws, ignorance is a pretty good excuse.  I don't think you're being reasonable with your killing the guy example, but I'm with you on the petty stuff.   I don't think you stating that we are defending the state, is accurate.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 01:10:53 PM »

Fair enough.  My argument concerning the serious crime was more of a philosophical one.

I know.......but I like your sign idea.   I'd love to see a sign on the Turnpike that says "No Blowjobs from Girls under 16"  Cheesy
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies