Brown demands to be sworn in earlier than planned; Dems rush to capitulate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:13:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Brown demands to be sworn in earlier than planned; Dems rush to capitulate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Brown demands to be sworn in earlier than planned; Dems rush to capitulate  (Read 1393 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 03, 2010, 03:52:58 PM »

By GLEN JOHNSON, AP Political Writer Glen Johnson, Ap Political Writer – 22 mins ago
BOSTON – Massachusetts Republican Scott Brown changed course and demanded he be sworn in to replace the late Sen. Edward M. Kennedy on Thursday, an accelerated timetable that conservatives had been clamoring for and one that Democrats quickly accepted — and had already been moving to accommodate.

Brown said he wanted to be present for unspecified votes, and his swearing-in would give the GOP 41 votes in the Senate — the precise number it needs to sustain a filibuster of Democratic initiatives.

Jim Manley, a spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, said he expected a ceremony at 5 p.m. Thursday.

"If that's what he wants to do, I expect he'll be sworn in as early as (Thursday) afternoon," Manley said.

The demand reversed Brown's earlier declaration that he did not want to be sworn in until Feb. 11, a grace period he said he needed to hire a staff and prepare for his new responsibilities. That timetable was reitered Tuesday morning on Brown's Facebook page.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100203/ap_on_el_se/us_brown_swearing_in

Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 03:56:40 PM »

READY THE CATAPULTS!!!....STEADY....STEADY...
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 04:10:06 PM »

I wonder if he'll wait another 6 months like Franken. Probably not, Republicans are better at getting what they want.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 04:14:45 PM »

It doesn't really matter, does it?  What are the Senate Democrats hoping to achieve in the next week with Kirk in the seat instead of Brown?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 04:26:09 PM »

READY THE CATAPULTS!!!....STEADY....STEADY...

Guderian

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 05:04:19 PM »

What are the Democrats supposed to do, keep him away until, let's say January 2013? It's bad enough Kirk was a make-or-break vote for increasing public debt limit nine days after Brown won election.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 05:37:13 PM »

Ya, it doesn't matter. The Dems are in gridlock as to what they want to do, and seem to be changing their mind on an almost daily basis. I guess that is what stress does.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 06:17:38 PM »

i take this as a sign Brown is thinking of running for POTUS in 2012 and therefore wants to jump into the battle as quickly as possible
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 06:24:49 PM »

Let's just seat him and be done with it.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 06:39:55 PM »

Let's just seat him and be done with it.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 09:02:11 PM »

Tsongas was seated in the House almost immediately after her election when her vote was needed by the Democrats, despite no Massachusetts election certification.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 11:36:30 PM »

Tsongas was seated in the House almost immediately after her election when her vote was needed by the Democrats, despite no Massachusetts election certification.

Al Franken had to wait 6 months because his opponent was a sore loser.
Jensen
geraldford76
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -8.17

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 11:37:42 PM »

Franken would have done the same thing.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 11:39:16 PM »

Even if he would have, which there isn't evidence for, he wouldn't have been such a hypocrite to use the same Bush 2000 lawyers who argued that the election needed to end as soon as possible. Bush had 39 days after the election was decided. Al Franken had negative 6 months.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 11:41:41 PM »

Obviously the GOP backed obstructionism when it was clear Franken had won, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Let the damn man be seated, he won fair and square.  I see no reason to be hypocritical and if Brown turns out to be a Maine-style Republican, might as well start letting him know that you know he reasonably won an election and is now a peer of all senators.

It's not like the Senate's doing anything these days anyway.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 11:43:08 PM »

i take this as a sign Brown is thinking of running for POTUS in 2012 and therefore wants to jump into the battle as quickly as possible

All Senators in his situation would do the same thing, regardless of presidential ambitions.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 10:17:54 AM »

And I commend Obama for insisting on no health care vote until he is seated.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 10:46:11 AM »

Though it's not like it'd have happened anyway. Brown's win spooked about five votes from yea to nay.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 11:03:55 AM »

Though it's not like it'd have happened anyway. Brown's win spooked about five votes from yea to nay.

True, but the Democratic majority was still large enough to ram something through IF they would have had a set of balls, which they do not.  Either way, it was still a classy thing to say.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 04:57:54 PM »

Obviously the GOP backed obstructionism when it was clear Franken had won, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Let the damn man be seated, he won fair and square.  I see no reason to be hypocritical and if Brown turns out to be a Maine-style Republican, might as well start letting him know that you know he reasonably won an election and is now a peer of all senators.

How the hell is seating him on the regular schedule hypocritical or denying that he reasonably won an election?

The other 99 Senators in the Senate had to wait until the regular schedule to be sworn in. What's wrong with treating Brown like the other 99? Are all the other 99 Senators illegitimate then?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 05:28:04 PM »

The Franken result was close, Coleman never conceded and the process wound through the courts. The Massachusetts result wasn't close, Coakley conceded and the process isn't going to end up in the courts.

Tsongas was seated early, even before certification.  Owens was seated early, even before certification in part because Hoffman conceded.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 06:24:22 PM »

That's cool...I guess. I don't see why he couldn't have waited another week though.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 01:08:14 AM »
« Edited: February 05, 2010, 01:11:02 AM by Lunar »

How the hell is seating him on the regular schedule hypocritical or denying that he reasonably won an election?

The other 99 Senators in the Senate had to wait until the regular schedule to be sworn in. What's wrong with treating Brown like the other 99? Are all the other 99 Senators illegitimate then?

Hypocritical insofar as supporting delaying him for the sake of delaying him (in general, not your arguments).

If you just want to defend the traditional process of X many days, whatever, I don't really care.    This isn't a battle I want to fight and it seems reasonable.

If the Democrats want to grow a spine and  have a good logical fight, I'd rather it be on passing healthcare reforms than on going toe-to-toe with sexypants over an arbitrary seating date.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 01:19:15 AM »

Actually, these few days would not make any difference at all.

But it's nice to see Brown flip-floop Tongue Asshole.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 01:21:34 AM »

True, but the Democratic majority was still large enough to ram something through IF they would have had a set of balls, which they do not.  Either way, it was still a classy thing to say.

Well, yes. Bush never had such a majority but was able to push his agenda.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies