Obama and his margin of victory in big cities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:25:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Obama and his margin of victory in big cities
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama and his margin of victory in big cities  (Read 2274 times)
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2010, 04:09:08 PM »

Just a little note: for obvious reasons, I am thinking only of the cities themselves, not the counties of the metropolitan areas.

Now as you know, Obama won Washington with 92% (!) of the vote. I wondered if there were any other big cities where Obama cracked the 90% barrier. More generally, I am interested in the big cities overall. So, can anyone get a list of say, the top 100 cities, and how Obama did in each? Thank you!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 04:27:05 PM »

Obama won Manhattan 85.70%-13.47%-0.83%
platypeanArchcow

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 04:27:44 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=90179.0
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 04:28:05 PM »

Just a little note: for obvious reasons, I am thinking only of the cities themselves, not the counties of the metropolitan areas.

Now as you know, Obama won Washington with 92% (!) of the vote. I wondered if there were any other big cities where Obama cracked the 90% barrier. More generally, I am interested in the big cities overall. So, can anyone get a list of say, the top 100 cities, and how Obama did in each? Thank you!

I think Obama got over 90% in Detroit as well.  Also Oakland I believe he got over 90% too.  Pretty much every city he got over 90% has a large African-American population.  The only ones I can think of which have a white majority and he still got over 90% are Berkeley, California and Cambridge, Massachusetts which are both largely university towns.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 10:24:20 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2010, 10:27:37 PM by Mideast Assemblyman True Conservative »

I think Obama got over 90% in Detroit as well.  Also Oakland I believe he got over 90% too.  Pretty much every city he got over 90% has a large African-American population.  The only ones I can think of which have a white majority and he still got over 90% are Berkeley, California and Cambridge, Massachusetts which are both largely university towns.

Actually Obama won Cambridge 88-10. I'm not sure on Berkeley, but it wouldn't surprise me if Obama broke 90% there and in the other two cities.
DariusNJ

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 11:44:46 AM »

Obama got between 97-98% of the vote in Detroit. He got about 94% in Berkeley. Not sure about Oakland.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 02:54:41 PM »

Obama got between 97-98% of the vote in Detroit. He got about 94% in Berkeley. Not sure about Oakland.

WTF!!!
DariusNJ

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 04:25:22 PM »

WTF!!!

Detroit is close to 90% African American and very very poor. What's so surprising?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 06:23:01 PM »

WTF!!!

A resident of Detroit voting for a Republican is a little like Elisabeth Fritzl inviting her dad over for dinner.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 09:52:41 PM »

Oakland is actually a very racially diverse city, not necessarily just heavily black. It is about 25% hispanic, 25% white, 30% black, 15% asian and "others" making up the rest. Detroit and Oakland are two completely different places.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 04:32:55 AM »

East St. Louis voted over 99% for Obama, IIRC.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 10:59:26 AM »

Yet he wasn't that reliant on the big cities. You could drop the two largest counties from each state and Obama still wins the presidency with CA, CO, CT, HI, IL, IA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, VA, WA, and WI.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies