Is Obama the best President of your lifetime?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:52:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is Obama the best President of your lifetime?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Is Obama the best President of your lifetime?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Is Obama the best President of your lifetime?  (Read 5585 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2010, 05:25:04 PM »

No, because he defined the conservative movement as it is today.  The Republican Party today would be well served to not stray away from his style of conservatism.

Plus, your reply could be said about Obama, as well.  He may have had to do it, but still he raised the deficit more in his first 13 months than Dubya did.

The deficit is one thing you can't blame on Obama. Obama did not "raise" the deficit. $1 trillion+ deficits were built in since the housing bubble was inflated in 2003. Even if Obama did not do a single thing in office we still would have had $1 trillion+ deficits. Bush in the typical frat boy style just made a huge mess for someone more responsible to pick up, while he got parachuted out.

Ah, the twin use of the words Bush and parachute, brought this image to mind. Do you remember when?  Smiley  I wonder if I could "score" more with that outfit on. What do you think?

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2010, 05:29:05 PM »

No, because he defined the conservative movement as it is today.  The Republican Party today would be well served to not stray away from his style of conservatism.

Plus, your reply could be said about Obama, as well.  He may have had to do it, but still he raised the deficit more in his first 13 months than Dubya did.

The deficit is one thing you can't blame on Obama. Obama did not "raise" the deficit. $1 trillion+ deficits were built in since the housing bubble was inflated in 2003. Even if Obama did not do a single thing in office we still would have had $1 trillion+ deficits. Bush in the typical frat boy style just made a huge mess for someone more responsible to pick up, while he got parachuted out.

Ah, the twin use of the words Bush and parachute, brought this image to mind. Do you remember when?  Smiley  I wonder if I could "score" more with that outfit on. What do you think?

Depends on the setting. But yes, in general, with that outfit and some made up stories of glory I'm sure you could.

It reminded me the phrase "golden parachute" myself-- screw over the company, and then retire rich while leaving the populist ire to the next guy.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2010, 05:53:13 PM »

I suspect you are so relaxed about the inefficiency, since those who profit from the low income housing game will be taxed at about an 85% rate on their income anyway, so it is just a matter of where in the redistribution cycle the government will "recover" all, or nearly all, of the subsidy money it gave out to the riches in the first instance. Am I on the right path here Opebo in fathoming your mind?  By the way, if you don't mind me asking, have you ever taken an economics course? I am not trying to be insulting; I am just curious, since you seem now so well, interested in the topic.

You fathom very well, though the term 'inefficiency' is a rather dubious one.  Of course I took macro and micro like everyone else at college, but I approach 'economics' from a political stance, not from the idea that there are certain 'right' ways to go about it.
ARescan
United States

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2010, 07:26:36 PM »

Bahahahaha!
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2010, 09:20:56 PM »

There have only been three presidents during my lifetime: Clinton, Bush, and Obama.  I'm not sure which one I dislike the least.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2010, 12:25:37 PM »

Yes. Now that may say more about the other Presidents than Obama.

I couldn't agree more, BRTD.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2010, 01:04:09 PM »

No.

Reagan
Ike
Bush41
Ford
JFK
Nixon
Clinton
Obama
Bush43
LBJ
Carter
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2010, 01:32:51 PM »

No.

Reagan
Ike
Bush41
Ford
JFK
Nixon
Clinton
Obama
Bush43
LBJ
Carter

How come you dislike LBJ so much?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »

No.

Reagan
Ike
Bush41
Ford
JFK
Nixon
Clinton
Obama
Bush43
LBJ
Carter

I don't "dislike" him........Carter I dislike.  I'm not a fan of the Great Society, that's all.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2010, 01:49:53 PM »

No.

Reagan
Ike
Bush41
Ford
JFK
Nixon
Clinton
Obama
Bush43
LBJ
Carter

I don't "dislike" him........Carter I dislike.  I'm not a fan of the Great Society, that's all.

At least the Great Society might have contibuted to the decline in the poverty rate in the U.S. in the 1960s. Besides, LBJ didn't screw up anywhere nearly as badly as Bush Jr. in my opinion.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2010, 01:53:01 PM »

No.

Reagan
Ike
Bush41
Ford
JFK
Nixon
Clinton
Obama
Bush43
LBJ
Carter

At least the Great Society might have contibuted to the decline in the poverty rate in the U.S. in the 1960s. Besides, LBJ didn't screw up anywhere nearly as badly as Bush Jr. in my opinion.

Ok, so put LBJ higher on your list.  Roll Eyes
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2010, 01:54:23 PM »

Vietnam was obviously worse than the Great Society.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2010, 02:42:12 PM »

No.

Reagan
Ike
Bush41
Ford
JFK
Nixon
Clinton
Obama
Bush43
LBJ
Carter

Ok, so put LBJ higher on your list.  Roll Eyes

Unfortunately, I wasn't alive when LBJ was President.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2010, 02:49:01 PM »

Considering the job Obama has done as President, I find it hard to believe he's the best President anyone has had in their lifetime. I'd put Reagan, Bush I, Clinton and tie him with GWBush for now.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2010, 02:58:53 PM »

Considering the job Obama has done as President, I find it hard to believe he's the best President anyone has had in their lifetime. I'd put Reagan, Bush I, Clinton and tie him with GWBush for now.

You're leaving out ideology.  Most of us would say those fellows were only better at making things worse.
perdedor

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2010, 03:11:02 PM »

No, most unfortunately, that honor goes to George H.W. Bush.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2010, 03:27:30 PM »

Haha no.

1. Bush I
2. Clinton
3. Obama
4. Bush II

Bush I is the closest to being mediocre, the others are just bad.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2010, 03:10:25 AM »

Dude, the competition is Clinton and Bush.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2010, 11:34:27 AM »

Dude, the competition is Clinton and Bush.

Obama is still worse.
KeeptheChange
Rookie

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2010, 12:37:11 PM »

Ronald Wilson Reagan is not only the best President of my lifetime, he is the best President in American History.  Obama is on track to be the very worst in our history, but I am hoping he "sees the light" and changes course.  Clinton was on a very negative track at the start but he seemed to turn things around...at least a little bit.  So there is hope for Obama.  I really do want my President, regardless of party, to succeed.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2010, 12:40:51 PM »

Ronald Wilson Reagan is not only the best President of my lifetime, he is the best President in American History.  Obama is on track to be the very worst in our history, but I am hoping he "sees the light" and changes course.  Clinton was on a very negative track at the start but he seemed to turn things around...at least a little bit.  So there is hope for Obama.  I really do want my President, regardless of party, to succeed.

What made Reagan the best in history?
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2010, 12:58:50 PM »

Bush I
Reagan
Clinton
Bush II
Obama
KeeptheChange
Rookie

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2010, 01:12:38 PM »

What made Reagan the best in history?

Lots of things.  First and foremost, he won the cold war for America and for freedom.  Second, he cut taxes and spending.  And in doing so, he took a dying economy and breathed new life into it...creating jobs, stimulating wealth and making America the envy of the world again.  Third, he made it so patriotism was no longer a dirty word.  Before Reagan, it was very much in vogue to trash this country (not unlike today) and he restored a sense of pride and toughness to our sense of national esteem. Fourth, he made moral issues important again.  He cared about unborn children and about family values. But the biggest thing and the thing we need most once again is a leader who will cut taxes generously and take a chainsaw...not a scalple to our spending.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2010, 01:17:41 PM »

Not even I consider Reagan the best president in history, for what it's worth.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2010, 01:19:03 PM »

You can argue your other points about moral values and patriotism....I don't share your opinion, but you can use those things to judge him if you like.

But Reagan most certainly did not "win the Cold war". Where did you get that idea?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies