Wage and/or Price Controls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:24:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Wage and/or Price Controls
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wage and/or Price Controls  (Read 1196 times)
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2010, 01:16:57 PM »

What do you guys think of the idea of wage or price controls? I was thinking that in times of a recession, wages could be raised and prices could be frozen at current levels--While this would have a positive effect and spur consumerism, it might well have a negative effect in terms of company revenues. Or perhaps setting caps or yearly limits on the rise of prices in a ratio to the rise of wages. These price controls could perhaps only be implemented in vital areas--Such as food, gas, etc. 
 Perhaps a better would be simply freezing both or setting caps.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 01:32:20 PM »

Very Very Very bad idea.

If you limit the prices of things, they simply won't be available to purchase anymore. It's not as if you simply tell people they have to sell gas for $3 a gallon and they comply.
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 01:37:29 PM »

What do you guys think of the idea of wage or price controls? I was thinking that in times of a recession, wages could be raised and prices could be frozen at current levels--While this would have a positive effect and spur consumerism, it might well have a negative effect in terms of company revenues. Or perhaps setting caps or yearly limits on the rise of prices in a ratio to the rise of wages. These price controls could perhaps only be implemented in vital areas--Such as food, gas, etc. 
 Perhaps a better would be simply freezing both or setting caps.

quick economic facts
1) minimum wages are wage controls,but they do not have an effect on All real wages.

2) we had price controls during world war two and the private sector barely grew, but when those price controls were lifted we had the housing boom and good growth.
=========================================================
//While this would have a positive effect and spur consumerism, it might well have a negative effect in terms of company revenues.//
Thus companies will decide to cut back spending on wages, and they will decide fire workers in order to account for the loss in profit. In any event wage controls do not boost demand when the labor market is depressed, and this is because the unemployed are not earning a wage and thus they are not spending.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 02:28:53 PM »

Wage controls in the sense of mandating higher wages is an excellent idea.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 02:30:03 PM »

I love unemployment!
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 02:34:07 PM »

Prices act as signals; the operation of the price mechanism is a better guide to resource allocation than central planning.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 02:37:09 PM »

if you want wages to be higher than one should simply be more supportive of unions, but the government does not need to introduce wage controls because the market already does a pretty efficient job of controlling wages.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 02:43:34 PM »

I love unemployment!

Generous dole takes care of that.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 06:02:12 PM »

if you want wages to be higher than one should simply be more supportive of unions, but the government does not need to introduce wage controls because the market already does a pretty efficient job of controlling wages.

Exactly.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 06:03:26 PM »

Only non-economists like them.

Apart from Marxist economists, but that is nearly an oxymoron.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 06:06:12 PM »

I would prefer that the State mandate higher wages - unions were just a very weak and easily defeated way of doing this.  Unions should have always gone for a control of the political apparatus - by failing to wrest it from Capital they utterly doomed themselves and the working class.  (Of course to be fair they would only have been slaughtered had they tried an actual take-over.. 1917 was a bizarre aberration).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 06:19:34 PM »

I love unemployment!

Generous dole takes care of that.

You do realize that the size of the gov't dole you propose is so large and to have 25% of the working populace on it, there would be no way to fund that all. Even with 90% taxes on the highest class and I don't think the economy is strong enough fundamentally to support the high taxes that it did in the past.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 06:27:38 PM »

This is one idea that has been totally discredited on both sides of the aisle, and is therefore not even discussed anymore.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 06:46:01 PM »

This is one idea that has been totally discredited on both sides of the aisle, and is therefore not even discussed anymore.

it is still worthy to entertain in my opinion. Instead of out right disagreeing one should try and find pleasure discussing it with the intent of providing thoughtful feedback.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 06:50:32 PM »

it is still worthy to entertain in my opinion. Instead of out right disagreeing one should try and find pleasure discussing it with the intent of providing thoughtful feedback.

Well I will leave it to others to go over the economic fundamentals as to why this just doesn't work no matter what your ideology, because I am tired.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 06:52:09 PM »

Well I will leave it to others to go over the economic fundamentals as to why this just doesn't work no matter what your ideology, because I am tired.

Price controls work when it comes to preventing inflation, and this is what they have been generally intended for. Thus they do work in that sense!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 07:11:24 PM »

Price controls work when it comes to preventing inflation, and this is what they have been generally intended for. Thus they do work in that sense!

I think Torie would know better about Price Controls not working. They were pretty useless at controlling inflation in the 1970's.
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 07:16:34 PM »

I love unemployment!

Well at the same time as increasing wages, one could also lower capital/corporate gains tax rates.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 07:34:24 PM »

I think Torie would know better about Price Controls not working. They were pretty useless at controlling inflation in the 1970's.

Price controls were mainly effective during world war two because rationing was also involved. It all depends how it is run, and I think the Price administration showed that price controls can indeed control inflation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies