PPP TX GOP GOV Primary: Perry 39%, Hutchison 28%, Medina 24%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:39:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PPP TX GOP GOV Primary: Perry 39%, Hutchison 28%, Medina 24%
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: PPP TX GOP GOV Primary: Perry 39%, Hutchison 28%, Medina 24%  (Read 3347 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2010, 10:58:41 AM »

Hutchison failing to make the run-off = absolutely hilarious

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:02:33 AM »

Every so often, you have to show off your own brilliance...  Tongue

I am just so happy I don't live in Texas, and that goes beyond politics.  So many nutters, so little time.  The GOP platforms there that the rank and file adopt, always make for interesting reading. Tongue

I feel the same about California, oddly enough...  Tongue

Look - it isn't out of the realm of possibility for Hutchinson to finish 3rd in this primary. 

In fact, I might be willing to place money on that (with a certain spread) if Indys and Dems couldn't play in the GOP primary. 

Now that I think about it, I might bet on it anyway, considering the horrible campaign she's run so far and the fact that I doubt most Dems really care (and Texas Indys are an odd lot).
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 11:06:19 AM »

So, I'll admit I have no clue: Who the heck is Medina?
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 11:08:08 AM »

Long story short: the Ron-Paulite candidate. Not even a teabagger, either, as far as I can tell, since Paul directly endorsed her.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 11:10:34 AM »

Some county-level GOP activist who wants to abolish all property taxes. Also a Paulist.

http://www.medinafortexas.com/

ETA: Also believes in nullification apparently. Ay carumba
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 11:11:52 AM »
« Edited: February 09, 2010, 11:14:00 AM by Sam Spade »

Candidate to the right of Perry, who I would describe, quite frankly, as a Ron Paulite - she's been associated with him in the past.  Campaigning as an outsider.

Why she's pushing up so fast, however, I will tell you is because of her plan to end property taxes.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 11:13:23 AM »

LOL Texas.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 11:16:02 AM »

Candidate to the right of Perry, who I would describe, quite frankly, as a Ron Paulite - she's been associated with him in the past.  Campaigning as an outsider.

Why she's pushing up so fast, however, I will tell you is because of her plan to end property taxes.

I should add to this - she's also gaining traction because she's successfully portraying Perry and Hutchinson as career politicians who just want to hold office forever.  That has a lot of appeal - especially now.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 11:53:48 AM »

It really would be great to see Kay Bailout eliminated from this race early so Medina can focus on defeating Perry.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 12:30:43 PM »

It really would be great to see Kay Bailout eliminated from this race early so Medina can focus on defeating Perry.

And handing the election to Bill White.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 12:37:23 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2010, 12:42:14 PM by Eraserhead »

Not that it really matters too much but where is Medina on social issues/civil liberties/etc.? Is she for drug legalization? Against the Patriot Act? Anti-censorship? Pro or anti-choice? I see she has chosen to highlight her right-wing socially libertarian stances on guns and such on her website, unsurprisingly.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 01:01:13 PM »

Medina winning the GOP primary would be hilarious.

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 01:10:11 PM »

She looks sort of like a slightly overweight version of Sarah Palin.
Guderian

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 01:25:35 PM »

Not so fast. Rasmussen had Medina 41-38 over White a week ago. She obviously leaves more hope to Democrats than Perry or especially KBH would do, but she doesn't seem flat-out unelectable so far.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 01:31:04 PM »

Not that it really matters too much but where is Medina on social issues/civil liberties/etc.? Is she for drug legalization? Against the Patriot Act? Anti-censorship? Pro or anti-choice? I see she has chosen to highlight her right-wing socially libertarian stances on guns and such on her website, unsurprisingly.
On social Issues, from what I've seen, she seem like a Pro-life libertarian.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 01:43:33 PM »

And handing the election to Bill White.

Dunno about that.  This is Texas after all.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 01:48:57 PM »

She is running in the Republican primary, you know...
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 01:57:03 PM »

So Texas could be getting ready to drive itself off a cliff.  Neat.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 02:04:05 PM »

I should add to this - she's also gaining traction because she's successfully portraying Perry and Hutchinson as career politicians who just want to hold office forever.  That has a lot of appeal - especially now.
It's a common enough dynamic. Everybody thinks it's a two-person race. Everybody notices both options sort of suck. Both candidates drive home the point that the other option sucks.

And suddenly people notice there's a third option.
Now... that third option may never rise fast enough to make people think it's viable - this is less likely to happen in the first round of a two-round primary than in an fptp election. Or alternatively, that third option may rise too soon, and be discovered to be not fit for the big time, have some skeletons in their closet, etc, once the original two candidates pay attention.
Or they may go on to win.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 02:09:35 PM »

You didn't live there in the 1970s-1980s - now that was driving oneself off a cliff.  It's also part of the reason it didn't happen there in the 2000s, unlike most other parts of this country.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 02:15:23 PM »

It's a common enough dynamic. Everybody thinks it's a two-person race. Everybody notices both options sort of suck. Both candidates drive home the point that the other option sucks.

Agreed.  Very much actually.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Possible - there's still 3 weeks before the election (but only one week before early voting) - that may be enough time.  Or not.

Well, if this polls is accurate (big question mark), the points against Hutchinson could certainly be made up in a week imo.

Quite possible - especially here.  There being a runoff after this if no one gets 50% lends more credence to this occurring.

Always possible.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 02:26:13 PM »

We're talking about a state where the governor can't even appoint the state Supreme Court.  There's very limited screwup potential as Governor of Texas.  Mind you, I'm not disputing that Texas could drive off a cliff, but it won't be due to the governor.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 02:40:59 PM »

We're talking about a state where the governor can't even appoint the state Supreme Court.  There's very limited screwup potential as Governor of Texas.  Mind you, I'm not disputing that Texas could drive off a cliff, but it won't be due to the governor.

Heh.  Good point.  Now if she was running for Lt. Gov otoh, then...  LOL
Conservative frontier
JC
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 02:50:24 PM »

Perry 2010. KBH lost my respect. And this coming from a former KBH Hack.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 03:02:18 PM »

Every so often, you have to show off your own brilliance...  Tongue

I am just so happy I don't live in Texas, and that goes beyond politics.  So many nutters, so little time.  The GOP platforms there that the rank and file adopt, always make for interesting reading. Tongue

I feel the same about California, oddly enough...  Tongue

Look - it isn't out of the realm of possibility for Hutchinson to finish 3rd in this primary. 

In fact, I might be willing to place money on that (with a certain spread) if Indys and Dems couldn't play in the GOP primary. 

Now that I think about it, I might bet on it anyway, considering the horrible campaign she's run so far and the fact that I doubt most Dems really care (and Texas Indys are an odd lot).

Too bad your brilliance doesn't include the spelling of the candidate's name.   Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies