Can you see any of these Republicans running....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:34:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Can you see any of these Republicans running....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Any of these?
Richard Burr (R- NC)

Jim DeMint (R-SC)

Lindsay Graham (R- SC)

Saxby Chambliss (R-GA)

Sonny Perdue (R-GA)

Johnny Isakson (R-GA)

Jeff Sessions (R- AL)

Roger Wicker (R- MS)

Bob Corker (R- TN)

Mitch McConnell (R- KY)

Jim Douglas  (R-VT)

John Cornyn (R-TX)

Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX)

Jodi Rell  (R-CT)

Sam Brownback (R-KS)

Olympia Snowe (R-ME)

Susan Collins (R-ME)

Mike Johanns (R-NE)

Dave Heinemann (R-NE)

Mike Rounds (R-SD)

Mike Enzi (R-WY)

John Barrasso (R-WY)

Jon Kyl (R- AZ)

Jan Brewer (R-AZ)

Gary Herbert (R-UT)

Sean Parnell (R-AK)

Linda Lingle (R-HI)

Other -- (name him/her)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Can you see any of these Republicans running....  (Read 2378 times)
anonymiad
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 04:30:39 PM »

I went for DeMint and Corker. I remember hearing something at some point about DeMint challenging Mitch McConnell for minority leader, but nothing else on that front this year, so his trying to position himself as the foremost (and rightmost) critic of Obama suggests he's thinking about 2012. Corker's done the opposite - like Romney, he's been quiet up to this point, but I wouldn't be completely surprised if he started talking 2012 soon. Also, Paul Ryan's recent upsurge in visibility (as well as Scott Brown's) suggests that Republicans could want a more pragmatic - but probably not more moderate - nominee in 2012, which Corker might think gives him an opening.

The only others I considered were Brownback, who I think would be a much stronger candidate in 2016 (when Huckabee probably won't be running), and Perry, who (though I don't see why he'd seek re-election if he was aiming for the White House) is probably crazy enough to try it. All the others are either too old, too moderate, or too boring.
GOP732
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 05:12:44 PM »

Jon kyl would make a great president... and thats exactly why he wont run Sad
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 09:29:09 PM »

Same goes for John Hoeven, who some say is a RINO.  (I don't think so.)

Who do you talk to that thinks this?

As long as you show that you are a capitalist and are fiscally conservative, you aren't a "RINO." Anyone that thinks otherwise is ignorant of the history of the GOP.

That said, there a few socially moderate and conservative people in the party that a not even remotely fiscally conservative.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 06:02:50 PM »

I'm curious about why Kyl isn't talked about more.  Is it simply because McCain was from Arizona and we don't think another Arizonan will feel he has a decent shot?

Kyl strikes me as quite the theocrat, but then, so do most of the candidates being touted on one list or another (Palin, Thune, Huckabee, Paul, etc.) 

Is there a skeleton waiting to jump out of Kyl's closet or is he just not up to snuff on the issues? (I note that being in control of one's facts and being well informed is hardly a guarantor of electoral success...Dodd and Biden both outperformed their peers in the early debates, IMO, and yet were summarily dumped by the masses.)

What is Kyl missing?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 06:25:42 PM »

Keep in mind that Kyl will celebrate his 70th birthday in 2012.  Does the GOP really want to nominate a septugenarian senator from Arizona two elections in a row?

Also keep in mind that most of the people we've talked about as potential 2012 candidates are actively doing something to get people to think of them as potential candidates.  Kyl hasn't visited any early primary states or written a book or done anything else that might lead us to believe he's interested.  The only person who seems to have generated some 2012 buzz without actually doing anything to stoke it is Thune.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2010, 06:33:48 PM »

Keep in mind that Kyl will celebrate his 70th birthday in 2012.  Does the GOP really want to nominate a septugenarian senator from Arizona two elections in a row?

Also keep in mind that most of the people we've talked about as potential 2012 candidates are actively doing something to get people to think of them as potential candidates.  Kyl hasn't visited any early primary states or written a book or done anything else that might lead us to believe he's interested.  The only person who seems to have generated some 2012 buzz without actually doing anything to stoke it is Thune.

Thanks Mr. Morden.  Excellent points.  I've just wondered if, in Kyl's case, he lacked the fire to seek higher office or if there was some other point against him that I was unaware of.  I hadn't considered his age.  While 70 is hardly old in political terms, you make an excellent point.  Two grayhairs from the same state in successive elections does seem a bit much.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2010, 06:40:53 PM »

I'm curious about why Kyl isn't talked about more.  Is it simply because McCain was from Arizona and we don't think another Arizonan will feel he has a decent shot?

Kyl strikes me as quite the theocrat, but then, so do most of the candidates being touted on one list or another (Palin, Thune, Huckabee, Paul, etc.) 

Is there a skeleton waiting to jump out of Kyl's closet or is he just not up to snuff on the issues? (I note that being in control of one's facts and being well informed is hardly a guarantor of electoral success...Dodd and Biden both outperformed their peers in the early debates, IMO, and yet were summarily dumped by the masses.)

What is Kyl missing?

Charisma. And yes he is old, and not very out of the box as an imaginative thinker. He is very competent though, and a hard worker. He won't be running for POTUS however. He is not a narcissist; he ain't a John Edwards. Smiley
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2010, 04:35:31 PM »

I really want to see a Smart Republican Woman to run and win... wonder if we have any out there right now...
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 09:38:07 PM »

I really want to see a Smart Republican Woman to run and win... wonder if we have any out there right now...

You have three.  Olympia Snowe, Jodi Rell and Linda Lingle.  Good luck getting any of them nominated.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 10:08:22 PM »

Kyl, DeMint and Sessions are among the titans of the Senate and -- like Thune or Pence -- would absolutely mop up the floor with Obama in a debate.  So yeah -- I hope they run.  God please don't let us get stuck with Palin!!  LOL

Oh, dear.  Please don't let Obama face off against an intellectual titan like Jeff Sessions.  We would be completely screwed.  I'm trembling at the prospect.

Yeah, you and the rest of the democrats...
milhouse24
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2010, 11:37:22 PM »

I'm new here, while I think all these people are okay, the only logical choice for the 2012 GOP nominee would be Jeb Bush if he chose to run.  He Wants to run, but he might fear losing more.  There's no doubt the nomination would be his, but he might wait until 2016, but he might be too old then.  He wants to be president and has the money to make it happen in the primaries. 

Maybe its already been discussed, so I apologize for bringing his cursed name up!
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2010, 11:45:26 AM »

I'm new here, while I think all these people are okay, the only logical choice for the 2012 GOP nominee would be Jeb Bush if he chose to run.  He Wants to run, but he might fear losing more.  There's no doubt the nomination would be his, but he might wait until 2016, but he might be too old then.  He wants to be president and has the money to make it happen in the primaries. 

Maybe its already been discussed, so I apologize for bringing his cursed name up!

Welcome to the forum, Milhouse.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2010, 04:12:22 PM »

Kyl, DeMint and Sessions are among the titans of the Senate and -- like Thune or Pence -- would absolutely mop up the floor with Obama in a debate.  So yeah -- I hope they run.  God please don't let us get stuck with Palin!!  LOL

Oh, dear.  Please don't let Obama face off against an intellectual titan like Jeff Sessions.  We would be completely screwed.  I'm trembling at the prospect.

Yeah, you and the rest of the democrats...

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies