2016: Scott Brown vs. Jim Webb
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:47:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  2016: Scott Brown vs. Jim Webb
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2016: Scott Brown vs. Jim Webb  (Read 5691 times)
rebeltarian
rebel_libertarian

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 11, 2010, 05:01:39 PM »

Barack Obama (2009-2017) is finishing up his presidency with a very respectable 60% approval rating.  A pop-culture icon of JFK proportions, his presidency has nonetheless left many things to be desired.  A considerably compromised HCR bill was passed in his 2nd term, the auto industry and United Airlines have been nationalized, unemployment has been reduced to 6%, the Bush-era corporate tax cuts expired and the top marginal tax rate was increased by 7%, but heavy gov't spending both home and abroad has kept the country in the red.  Afghanistan/Iraq has cooled down and race/gender relations have continued to improve but the nation is still split over key wedge issues like abortion and the environmental/energy issue has yet to really be tackled.  The Democrats still have a solid, 30-body edge in the House, but the Republicans now hold a slim 51-49 majority in the Senate.

President Obama hand-picks veteran Virginia Senator Jim Webb as his sucessor.  Webb easily wins the nomination and chooses Secretary of dept of homeland security and fmr Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano as his running mate.  Napolitano is only the third female VP nominee and the first in a rising generation of "Western Progressives" to appear on a Democratic ticket.  The GOP nominates the fiscal conservative hero and self-described "New Republican" Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown and he selects the sucessful, 2-term Louisiana governor Bobby Jindal as his running mate.  Jindal is the first Asian-American to be on a Presidential ticket.

Democrats: Jim Webb/Janet Napolitano

Republicans: Scott Brown/Bobby Jindal

Lets Rock N Roll!!!
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 05:59:55 PM »

Webb wins. Brown's charisma makes the race closer than it should be, but Webb capitalizes on Obama's popularity and receives a relatively large percentage of the female vote due to hsi VP choice. Also, Webb attacks Brown's claim of being a fiscal conservative by saying that all three previous Republican Presidents were self-declared fiscal conservative while also being the most fiscally irresponsible Presidents in U.S. history.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 09:50:26 PM »

A young, charismatic Republican Senator from Massachusetts...

I'd have to say Scott Brown pulls out a relatively easy victory against Webb.  Honestly, I think Brown will be President in 2017.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 09:55:21 PM »

I'd have to say Scott Brown pulls out a relatively easy victory against Webb.  Honestly, I think Brown will be President in 2017.

If the economy is good and the incumbent President is popular, the nominee of the incumbent party will win unless that nominee runs a very bad campaign (Nixon 1960 and Gore 2000 are very good examples of that, and even they managed to lose only by extremely narrow margins). Thus, if Webb runs a good campaign, he would probably win.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 09:56:06 PM »

Honestly... I think he'll be out of a job in January 2013. :/
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 09:57:25 PM »

Honestly... I think he'll be out of a political job in January 2013. :/

There. Now I agree with you. However, I think Brown might run for MA Governor and win in 2014 or beyond.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 10:00:30 PM »

There. Now I agree with you. However, I think Brown might run for MA Governor and win in 2014 or beyond.

I don't know, there's something about the guy.  If he can keep a moderate view of things, he's got a big future. 
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 10:02:53 PM »

I don't know, there's something about the guy.  If he can keep a moderate view of things, he's got a big future. 

That's what has been said of many politicians, and very few of those predictions came out to be true.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 10:05:33 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2010, 03:43:24 PM by Libertas »

You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 10:06:15 PM »

That's what has been said of many politicians, and very few of those predictions came out to be true.

Brown has just got to much against him in 2012. He'll be running against a Democrat who'll have Barack Obama's coattails (which could be about 60% for Obama, win or lose) to help them.
rebeltarian
rebel_libertarian

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 02:16:47 PM »

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 02:33:25 PM »

As happy as I am to have a Republican Senator from Mass, I don't think it'll happen.

Really nice guy though.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 03:46:04 PM »

As happy as I am to have a Republican Senator from Mass, I don't think it'll happen.

Really nice guy though.

I don't think he'll be reelected to Senate.  However, if he runs for Governor and wins (which he could if he continues to work for Massachusetts, not Washington), he's got a chance.

I'm a Democrat, I support a single payer system, but I voted for Brown (and not just because Coakley's an idiot).
perdedor

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 04:59:51 PM »

No Democrat wins Arkansas while Losing Minnesota and Michigan. Period.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 09:59:32 PM »

Yes they could and would in this scenario. Period.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 10:25:41 PM »

Yes they could and would in this scenario. Period.

lol
The Hype
TheHype
Rookie
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -0.06, S: -5.13

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 01:30:17 AM »

The American public will not vote for a dyke.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 06:16:49 PM »

First off, Napolitano would be an utter disaster as a Vice President nominee. Scott Brown would obviously have the charisma that helped Obama win, and Brown also has experience. He'd focus on the America Democrats are leaving for our children with such staggering debts, and would take the Presidency by a moderate margin.

Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 06:20:59 PM »

First off, Napolitano would be an utter disaster as a Vice President nominee. Scott Brown would obviously have the charisma that helped Obama win, and Brown also has experience. He'd focus on the America Democrats are leaving for our children with such staggering debts, and would take the Presidency by a moderate margin.

I seriously doubt it will help Brown to run as a fiscal conservative, since Dems could just point to the fiscal records of the last 3 Republican Presidents despite the fact that all of them said they were fiscal conservatives. Charisma will help Brown, but if Webb runs a good campaign and uses Obama a lot, he will likely win. Nixon and Gore almost won despite running poor campaigns and not using the popjular incumbent President to their aid. Napolitano will help Webb, since she is not a moron (like Palin) and since many women really want to see one of their own become President or VP.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies