Is Medina finished?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 12:00:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is Medina finished?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Is Medina finished?  (Read 4557 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2010, 01:54:32 AM »

Got to add, though it's obvious...

The comments on that video, once again, show that Youtube comments sections are the scum of the Earth.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2010, 02:00:18 AM »

It's this kind of stuff that gives libertarians bad reputations. No offense to her supporters on the forum, but the fact that truthers (and other conspiracy theorists) and paleocons masquerading as libertarians flock to the same candidate is unfortunate. I'm sure most libertarian-leaners support Hutchinson for her rationality and pragmatism (relatively).

Epic facepalm.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2010, 03:24:32 AM »

Can she come back from that embarrassing misstep on Glenn Beck's show of all places? Or will she fail miserably in the primary?

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=7272553
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2010, 04:12:48 AM »

Got to add, though it's obvious...

The comments on that video, once again, show that Youtube comments sections are the scum of the Earth.

Really, how are they scum of the earth? I see lots of FFs in that YouTube comments section.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2010, 05:39:59 PM »

Why, of course I do. I think there was some talk of secession in Vermont a few years back.

A true American patriot. Roll Eyes
Guderian

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2010, 04:58:04 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2010, 04:59:36 PM by Guderian »

It's this kind of stuff that gives libertarians bad reputations. No offense to her supporters on the forum, but the fact that truthers (and other conspiracy theorists) and paleocons masquerading as libertarians flock to the same candidate is unfortunate. I'm sure most libertarian-leaners support Hutchinson for her rationality and pragmatism (relatively).

My thoughts basically. Libertarian(ish) candidates always destroy themselves with their own kookiness.  Medina had a great chance to make a big splash (I don't think she ever had a chance to win it, since Perry was bound to get KBH voters in a theoretical runoff with Medina) and looked like an inspiring candidate and then boom. Problem with libertarianism is that there are just too many insane people drawn to it, and that always kept them from making inroads with the mainstream voters that are sympathetic to some libertarian arguments (like myself).

I really hope Rand Paul doesn't do anything stupid and proves him self a viable libertarianish, anti-machine Republican.  
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2010, 05:09:36 PM »

Why, of course I do. I think there was some talk of secession in Vermont a few years back.

Hmm? Could you enlighten me as to where Libertas has ever claimed to be inclined towards patriotism?
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2010, 05:20:05 PM »

Well if I lived in Texas, Perry and Hutchison still haven't done anything to make me want to vote for them.
Deldem
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -7.74

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2010, 04:13:01 PM »

Hmm? Could you enlighten me as to where Libertas has ever claimed to be inclined towards patriotism?
Well, it's kind of funny, when you consider he invoked the American Revolution, which generally implies your opponent is lacking in patriotism. Of course, he was shamelessly twisting history for his own purposes, and totally perverting the whole scenario of 1776, and expecting average people to use his quite misleading conjectures and interpretations.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2010, 02:12:04 AM »

Well, it's kind of funny, when you consider he invoked the American Revolution, which generally implies your opponent is lacking in patriotism. Of course, he was shamelessly twisting history for his own purposes, and totally perverting the whole scenario of 1776, and expecting average people to use his quite misleading conjectures and interpretations.

No it doesn't, and no I wasn't.

You lose.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2010, 07:45:19 AM »

No it doesn't, and no I wasn't.

You lose.

I WIN BECAUSE I SAY I WIN!!!!!!111
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2010, 12:24:12 PM »

Can she come back from that embarrassing misstep on Glenn Beck's show of all places? Or will she fail miserably in the primary?
I think I figured out what happened.  Medina sued the Republican Party of Texas before the state convention in 2008, claiming that it was not following state law or party rules.  I'm guessing that it had to do with some credential fights related to Paul-ites taking over some county conventions.  Medina says that is what triggered her decision to run for the Republican gubernatorial nomination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1ZC26KGb5I&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMkoA9RNvQQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMV9rlWDENk&feature=video_response
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkyIkMfiNtM&feature=video_response

The lawsuit would have ruffled the party establishment, plus the Paul-ites would have wanted to debate various parts of the platform and some would have had some pretty out-there on all kinds of issues.  So you have all kinds of party establishment types, most who supported KBH or Perry who were willing to get some payback.

Linking her to Paul wouldn't be that effective.  After all, he is a Republican congressman from Texas, and beside that is Medina's congressman.

(lurid music, black and white picture of Paul) Ron Paul voted against the bank bailout and the stimulus package and every tax bill ever proposed.  Now his supporter, Debra Medina (zoom out on picture to show Medina standing next to Paul) wants to be our governor.  Do we want someone who is opposed to the bank bailout and the stimulus package and wants to get rid of the property tax to be our next governor?

Linking her to the lawsuit would be too inside baseball, and would give her too of an opportunity to explain the issue in her terms and with her passion.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies