Just a suggestion.......
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:19:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Just a suggestion.......
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Just a suggestion.......  (Read 1516 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2010, 12:31:45 PM »

Let's not automatically think someone is a sock or attack them simply because some of their first posts are a bit much to one side or the other.

We're not very welcoming to newbies, but I understand that given the invasion of nasties we've had.

IMO, the fakes and socks will reveal themselves in due course, but we should give passionate newbies the benefit of the doubt until then.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 12:35:03 PM »

You're getting soft, old man.  Consider them pledges.  We gotta bang em up a bit to see if they've got what it takes. Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 12:42:37 PM »

You're getting soft, old man.  Consider them pledges.  We gotta bang em up a bit to see if they've got what it takes. Tongue

Ha ha, Fezz, you're right.  All the pledges in my Sigma Chi Chapter thought I was a prick.  Tongue   

Hey, let's have a Hell Night!!!!!!!!!! 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 12:55:10 PM »

This is exactly why creating sockpuppet accounts is such a serious problem that a worrying trend of people don't take seriously enough.  By creating fake accounts and personas for the purpose of trolling, you're only spreading mistrust of any new posters.

This forum isn't a damn playground, as much as it would appear so.  There are consequences for certain activities within this forum that can go far beyond its boundaries.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 12:59:27 PM »

This is exactly why creating sockpuppet accounts is such a serious problem that a worrying trend of people don't take seriously enough.  By creating fake accounts and personas for the purpose of trolling, you're only spreading mistrust of any new posters.

This forum isn't a damn playground, as much as it would appear so.  There are consequences for certain activities within this forum that can go far beyond its boundaries.

Exactly.  I'm not "sensitive" by any measure of the word, but if I were a newbie and had to deal with some of this I'd just say F it and leave.  When new posters with good intentions leave, it diminishes the experience for all of us.
Conservative frontier
JC
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 01:07:53 PM »

No offense to anyone to the left of the average Moderate, but the dems here think anyone with a blue avatar is a troll.

It's a republican year, so naturally republicans will register.

Katherine Harris is legit
D Parker
United States
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 04:11:04 PM »

No offense to anyone to the left of the average Moderate, but the dems here think anyone with a blue avatar is a troll.

It's a republican year, so naturally republicans will register.

Yeah you are right on the money dude. Tell it like it is
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 05:00:02 PM »

It would help if the newbie's started out composing some thoughtful and substantive posts. They can join in  the attendant fun and nonsense side of this forum later. Just a thought. Smiley
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 05:17:59 PM »

It is always suspicious to me when the newbies seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of forum history and/or post in the forum community board right off the bat.  Like you just stumble onto a political map site and now you want to express your opinion of the preceding poster.  Please.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 05:21:40 PM »

It is always suspicious to me when the newbies seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of forum history and/or post in the forum community board right off the bat.  Like you just stumble onto a political map site and now you want to express your opinion of the preceding poster.  Please.

Those "newbies" have been "lurking" for years of course, before they signed up. Or so they say. Smiley
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 05:47:53 PM »

It would help if the newbie's started out composing some thoughtful and substantive posts. They can join in  the attendant fun and nonsense side of this forum later. Just a thought. Smiley

Like Hoffman John... he seems to be a very intelligent, engaged poster.
Katherine Harris is legit
D Parker
United States
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 05:48:33 PM »

Like Hoffman John... he seems to be a very intelligent, engaged poster.

I know for a fact that John is a troll brought here by someone else but hey, he's a leftie.

you suck!
KeeptheChange
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 05:51:23 PM »

I did.  It was in the Economics folder and the original post was about my proposal for righting the economic ship.  Instead of friendly debate and original ideas. the Democrat posters decided that "LOL" and "you're arrogant" were sufficient responses.  Not one thing I said was arrogant.  It was political and economic opinion...and even at that, it was civil.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 05:54:14 PM »

I did.  It was in the Economics folder and the original post was about my proposal for righting the economic ship.  Instead of friendly debate and original ideas. the Democrat posters decided that "LOL" and "you're arrogant" were sufficient responses.  Not one thing I said was arrogant.  It was political and economic opinion...and even at that, it was civil.

I don't think you're a sock puppet.. I just think your ideas of "fixing" our economy are way too extreme.  Lowering taxes to 1% would destroy our economy.

Also, education would be out of reach for millions of children under a private, for-profit system since right now the rich and those without school-aged children are subsidizing "tuition" for school children.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 06:02:01 PM »

This is part of the reason alot of people around here are understandably cautious about new posters. I think people are being a little unreasonable when they complain about how new posters are treated. When they are either so incredibly extreme and offensive or display a knowledge of Atlas history, it raises red flags and justifiably so. I don't think it's rude or cruel to question whether or not a new poster is legitimate if you have suspicions like that.

Let's not automatically think someone is a sock or attack them simply because some of their first posts are a bit much to one side or the other.

We're not very welcoming to newbies, but I understand that given the invasion of nasties we've had.

IMO, the fakes and socks will reveal themselves in due course, but we should give passionate newbies the benefit of the doubt until then.

What exactly is the standard for determining who is a "fake and sock" and who is a "passionate newbie"? We have had a ton of fake posters and banned posters who create secondary accounts to skirt the requirements. Alot of it is made worse by the fact that Atlasia has a serious problem with people recruiting posters who know almost nothing about atlasia to stack their voting rolls. I know alot of people say not to take Atlasia too seriously, but it does tend to bleed over into the general sentiment of the website.

Alot of the suspicion and criticism is totally justified. I mean, look at this:

Do you really expect me to believe that a poster, who just recently joined, has about two dozen posts to his name, and is another one of the libertarian-leaning posters who I'm sure will end up being a knock-out like Libertas, who voted against me in a matchup with my least favorite poster, and not have anything to do with you telling him, or influencing his vote, in any way?

And it just so happened I was JUST viewing this thread when you popped in and two votes tallied in against me, so unless we have some major coincidences going on, you were watching the "Who's Online" page and kicked things in gear.

I suspected Vane because his actions were suspicious and threw up a red flag to me at the time. A ton of people criticized me and said I was being too harsh and paranoid.

Vane has now been exposed, a month after my initial suspicions, as a poster who was using (potentially illegal) proxies and now people behind the scenes are saying he's Hamilton. My concerns were completely proven right.

Segway, too, has been suspicious since day one, engaging in similar behavior as Vane. I criticized him multiple times and had my eye on him for awhile. Segway has now, too, been exposed as someone who posts using proxies, raising many many more questions.

We've had tons of other problems. Ogis has been a routine troll who has returned under a half-dozen different names. Josh22 created a secondary account now known as Devilman88. Straha has returned to the forum at least twice. Kalwejt and Hamilton have created secondary accounts in the past (and Kalwejt just recently did a matter of days ago) just for the hell of it (Larry T and JohnnyBoy, and others), and on and on and on. We've had so many socks and trolls and repeat offenders that the suspicions are, in my opinion, totally legit.

Especially since so many of the suspicions have been proven right.

I take the exact opposite belief that you seem to. If a poster is legitimate, they can handle it and will prove themselves with time. If someone raises so many suspicions and questions, I think it's totally warranted, and often they prove to be right, and they don't deserve to be glossed over.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 06:05:11 PM »

It would help if the newbie's started out composing some thoughtful and substantive posts. They can join in  the attendant fun and nonsense side of this forum later. Just a thought. Smiley

I did.  It was in the Economics folder and the original post was about my proposal for righting the economic ship.  Instead of friendly debate and original ideas. the Democrat posters decided that "LOL" and "you're arrogant" were sufficient responses.  Not one thing I said was arrogant.  It was political and economic opinion...and even at that, it was civil.

What might help to slow that down, is to adduce evidence per links to support your opinion. Marioaki Blue (sp) does that often, and I think it is very effective. If nothing else, it makes the opposition have to work harder to refute his points. Heck sometimes I think hey, I don't have the inclination right now to work through it all, and just let his points stand, and well, an unbiased judge might deem that he has "won" that particular debate. Sometimes being effective takes work - no pain, no gain.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 06:06:37 PM »

Just as a sidenote I think you're one of the best Republicans on the site, Torie. Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 06:09:04 PM »

Just as a sidenote I think you're one of the best Republicans on the site, Torie. Tongue

It is easier to "love" the RINO's isn't it?  Tongue  Thanks by the way; I appreciate it.
KeeptheChange
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 06:13:28 PM »

It would help if the newbie's started out composing some thoughtful and substantive posts. They can join in  the attendant fun and nonsense side of this forum later. Just a thought. Smiley

What might help to slow that down, is to adduce evidence per links to support your opinion. Marioaki Blue (sp) does that often, and I think it is very effective. If nothing else, it makes the opposition have to work harder to refute his points. Heck sometimes I think hey, I don't have the inclination right now to work through it all, and just let his points stand, and well, an unbiased judge might deem that he has "won" that particular debate. Sometimes being effective takes work - no pain, no gain.

But if I have done the work already, I kinda resent having to do it for him.  I dunno, you may be right. Perhaps that would add some punch to it.  Although, a lot of things are self-evident. Tax cuts DO create wealth and prosperity.  You need a link to prove that Reagan was right? The economic boom he created should be sufficient proof of that.  But still Torie, I hear what you're saying and I will try to be better at that.  I will not spoonfeed them but maybe a little bit of a nudge in the right direction will be helpful to the ones who want to discuss issues in good faith.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 06:24:05 PM »

Sad

lol
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 06:25:22 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2010, 06:35:17 PM by Torie »

My comment or two is interlineated in your text below:

But if I have done the work already, I kinda resent having to do it for him.  I dunno, you may be right. Perhaps that would add some punch to it.  Although, a lot of things are self-evident. Tax cuts DO create wealth and prosperity. [Supply side economics and its efficacy, and degree of efficacy, and when it is efficacious, and when it just busts the budget, is highly controversial in the public square; that is one area in particular where supporting your opinion with empirical evidence and "expert" opinion well argued is essential to persuade anyone to change their mind on that issue typically] You need a link to prove that Reagan was right? The economic boom he created should be sufficient proof of that. [Reagan through arranging a recession with help from the Feds finally tamped down inflation, which was the predicate to real growth, and then matters were up and down, and then Reagan was forced by ballooning deficits to take back a considerable portion of the 1981 tax cut, with the 1986 tax increase; in any event, tax rates were much higher then, and the case for supply side is stronger almost in direct correlation to how high the tax rates are that you propose to cut] But still Torie, I hear what you're saying and I will try to be better at that.  I will not spoonfeed them but maybe a little bit of a nudge in the right direction will be helpful to the ones who want to discuss issues in good faith. [Do your own thing as you see fit; I was just sharing what my impression is of what is effective on internet chat boards, and what is not, for those posters who want to be taken seriously, and not all do. Some are just in for the fun of it all, which is perfectly OK, as long as it is not unduly disruptive or deflective of more serious endeavors IMO. It really does help however to persuade posters with other views to actually like you as a person. Humans are not all just intellectual machines; they have emotions. Who knew?  Smiley].
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 07:04:31 PM »

Sad

lol

You, Duke, and Fezzy are good too. Tongue
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 07:42:56 PM »

Remember, Marokai, when you thought I was a sock account? Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 07:46:41 PM »

Yeah but I did drop those suspicions after you proved yourself to be a nice and reasonable guy. In my defense though, you were a newbie who jumped straight into heavy Atlasia issues. Tongue

I don't mean that we should all be suspicious of every newbie, but I think if we have some suspicions, we should at least keep our eye on them from time to time. It's not always a bad thing.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 07:47:32 PM »

Yeah but I did drop those suspicions after you proved yourself to be a nice and reasonable guy. In my defense though, you were a newbie who jumped straight into heavy Atlasia issues. Tongue

I don't mean that we should all be suspicious of every newbie, but I think if we have some suspicions, we should at least keep our eye on them from time to time. It's not always a bad thing.

Paranoid much?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies