Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 06:50:28 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | |-+  Favorite Gospel
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Well?
Gospel of Matthew   -2 (22.2%)
Gospel of Mark   -1 (11.1%)
Gospel of Luke   -2 (22.2%)
Gospel of John   -4 (44.4%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: Favorite Gospel  (Read 1110 times)
A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2010, 08:32:13 pm »
Ignore

Which of the New Testament gospels is your favorite?

Discuss.
useful idiot
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 11:28:36 pm »
Ignore

John, without hesitation.
Ringorules

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 09:19:28 pm »
Ignore

Luke.  (s)he has a clear grasp of history, and (forgive me, useful) is not as tainted with gnosticism as the document we know as the Gospel of John.

"If nominated, I shall run to Mexico.  If elected, I shall fight extradiction."- Morris K. Udall
JSojourner
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 05:51:13 pm »
Ignore

Luke.  (s)he has a clear grasp of history, and (forgive me, useful) is not as tainted with gnosticism as the document we know as the Gospel of John.

It's curious, Ringo.  I have to wonder if Luke's experience as a physician led him to a more visceral rejection of the Gnostic heresy.  (Before it really coalesced, of course...though the concepts have always been with us and still are...)

anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -1.22

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 11:08:50 pm »
Ignore

I like Luke too, both for its historical value and for the degree to which it
portrays Jesus as concerned with social issues and not just issues that
were, for the other gospel writers, centered around christological issues.

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 11:35:34 pm »
Ignore

It should be no surprise given my Ebionite viewpoint that Matthew is my favorite gospel.

I wonder why Van Heusen never bothered to make women's clothing?
Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 12:24:46 am »
Ignore

All four gospels offer the same story from a different point of view.  Matthew focused on Jesus, the King.  Mark focused on Jesus, the Servant.  Luke focused on Jesus, the Savior.  John focused on Jesus, the Son of God.  I like all four pretty equally well, but I chose John.  His gospel is the easiest to understand for new Christians and is what I generally recommend new converts to study first.  I especially tell them to really hone in on John 3:16 and apply that logic to the rest of the book and the rest of the Biblical study, for that verse summarizes the entire Bible and the purpose of the Bible in just a few short words.  Luke, is a great gospel, too as it has a "sequel" in the book of Acts which was written by Luke and picks up right where the Gospel of Luke leaves off and goes all the way through the Apostle Paul's ministry.  For a class on Servitude, one should read the Gospel of Mark.  It focuses in on the verse that says "For [Christ] came not to be served, but to serve, and give his life as a ransom for many."

My earlier comment notwithstanding, I do think that the site would be better off if Inks left his position. (The fact that the village idiot has dropped in to express his support for him only confirms this.)
JSojourner
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 12:38:08 pm »
Ignore

BO,

The synoptic Gospels are generally regarded as...

Matthew -- a Gospel for the House of Israel

Mark --  a Gospel for the Roman world

Luke --  a Gospel for the Greek world

The idea being that each, without seriously contradicting the other, had a different emphasis and tone for a different audience. 

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 01:31:19 pm »
Ignore

I don't know... probably Matthew, but I do quite like Mark and John (though for different reasons). Least favourite is easier to work out. Luke.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -1.74

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 03:07:12 pm »
Ignore

I like both Matthew and John, as I have always seen them as being two sides of the same coin.  Matthew focuses on establishing the order of the Earthly Church, which Jesus as Messiah of the OT.  John, on the other hand, discusses the mystical nature of that Jesus, and his Church.  Between the two, you get the mix of practical and spiritual.

Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islan
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 03:24:36 pm »
Ignore

Luke and John

I just had an early dinner.  I went to Burger King, but only got a Double Whopper with Cheese with no fries and a coke.  I wanted Diet Dr. Pepper, but it was empty.
frenger
Bono
YaBB God
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 8.65, S: -4.17

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 04:22:59 pm »
Ignore

Luke and John

^^

Luke is the best from a narrative point of view, and the one that's a more pleasant read. John has the most theological juice, by far, though.

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." – H.L. Mencken

NO, I don't want to go back to Fantasy Elections.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout