What current member of the Senate is the most likely to become President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:53:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What current member of the Senate is the most likely to become President?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What current member of the Senate is the most likely to become President?  (Read 6590 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 08:35:04 PM »

Plenty of first-term senators run for president - Al Gore, Bob Kerrey, John Edwards - but aside from Obama, most don't win. Obama really was the exception, not a rule. Senators usually need to have at least completed one whole term and won reelection to be credible.

On paper, Gillibrand has a good chance. But honestly, her voice and demeanor, superficial though they may be, will be a HUGE hindrance. Unfortunately, she just doesn't seem - again, on a very superficial level - to have the stature to be a credible candidate for president. More like New York's Patty Murray than another Hillary Clinton.

I doubt Warner actually runs, despite the hype. He had a perfect shot in 2008 and passed. He'll be old news by 2016.

Jim Webb reportedly has presidential ambitions, but I think he's unlikely to run - or win - unless Democrats are really looking for someone electable in an otherwise unfavorable climate. So if Obama loses reelection, I could see him (he'd be 70 at the time) running in 2016. Although given that Virginia is a swing state, his reelection hopes will probably tie in with Obama's fate - if Obama loses reelection, Webb probably loses too.

I actually think the Democratic senator most likely to run for president in 2016 is Sheldon Whitehouse. And he'd actually have a pretty good shot - plenty of establishment support (albeit from the left side), generally good relations with the White House, well-liked by his colleagues, and likely to have support from the liberal base of the party.

I'm not sure Warner had a perfect shot in 2008--he was probably planning on running but then saw that Hillary would easily crush him. I think that he might have thought about 2016, but Obama's elections and Hillary's runner-up status might have given up any hope that he had.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 12:42:34 AM »

I hope Whitehouse doesn't run, just because of all the terrible puns that would result.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 01:53:06 AM »

I would say Thune for the Republicans and Hagan for the Democrats.
21st Century Independent
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2010, 04:02:14 AM »

DEMS
Evan Bayh before quitting
Jim Webb
Mark Warner

REPUBS
Scott Brown
John Thune
ScottM

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: 4.35

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2010, 10:46:25 AM »

I'd say Thune.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 02:18:27 PM »

John Thune or Scott Brown as well. Former senators Rick Santorum and Bill Frist are the most likely former senators.
perdedor

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 03:30:59 PM »

Jim Webb comes to mind. I always thought that Jack Reed would make for a good Presidential candidate as well, I doubt he is interested though. As for Republicans, Thune by default.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 04:08:58 PM »

Robert Byrd, he's third in the line of succession Tongue
petedewolfe
Rookie
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2010, 06:46:35 PM »

Whitehouse Tongue
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2010, 10:17:17 PM »

I don't see anything happening to both Obama and Biden throughout the next three/seven years.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2010, 09:43:21 PM »

Robert Byrd lol
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2010, 09:50:59 PM »

I don't see anything happening to both Obama and Biden throughout the next three/seven years.
That's because you are looking at your computer screen right now. How are you going to see Obama and Biden looking at Atlas Forum?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2010, 02:33:21 PM »

Here's my question, which senator would make the best president?  My answer is none other than John McCain.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2010, 04:24:10 PM »

Here's my question, which senator would make the best president?  My answer is none other than John McCain.

lololololololol
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2010, 05:50:05 PM »

Moderates like Mark Warner or Scott Brown who would do well in a general election would have almost zero chance in a primary for the same reasons.  While more polarizing candidates like Al Franken or John Thune would need a year very tilted toward their party or else to face the other one and have the field a little tilted toward their party or out-campaign/-luck their opponent.  Someone like Brown strikes me as more likely to win as an Independent but that rarely happens.

I'd say because of the likelihood of the glass ceiling breaking, Klobuchar and Gillibrand are the top 2.  I'd put Russ Feingold right behind them.

RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2010, 12:24:40 PM »

John Thune.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2010, 12:29:28 PM »

Moderates like Mark Warner or Scott Brown who would do well in a general election would have almost zero chance in a primary for the same reasons.  While more polarizing candidates like Al Franken or John Thune would need a year very tilted toward their party or else to face the other one and have the field a little tilted toward their party or out-campaign/-luck their opponent.  Someone like Brown strikes me as more likely to win as an Independent but that rarely happens.

I'd say because of the likelihood of the glass ceiling breaking, Klobuchar and Gillibrand are the top 2.  I'd put Russ Feingold right behind them.

Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton were mdoerates and they won their party's nominations. The same can be said about Ike, Nixon, and Ford.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2010, 01:57:27 PM »

Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton were mdoerates and they won their party's nominations. The same can be said about Ike, Nixon, and Ford.

Ford was an incumbent president, Nixon an incumbent VP, then former VP/nominee.  Status (but not senator status really) can trump ideology, though even that is much harder as control over nominee selection has migrated from party insiders to voters.  Ford, an incumbent president, nearly lost his primary.  In Clinton's case, his party swung moderate because they'd lost 3 in a row and were hungry for a winner.  Plus, he got great luck when liberals like Cuomo who could have beat him stayed out.  In Ike's case, it had been 5 losses in a row, plus his status.  Mark Warner's luck or Democratic Party (or age) in 2016 won't be Clinton's in 1992.  The one caveat is he could re-invent himself as a fiery populist like John Edwards did to the base's delight and blind-eye to his more conservative voting record.  So, yes, a made-over Warner could end up president.  Not that Edwards won of course.

It's slightly more possible the Republicans in 2016 will be desperate enough to look for a relatively more moderate nominee but I'd bet on social conservatives still being way too strong for a pro-choicer like Brown to break through.  Plus, his heat will be diminished by then.  And he may not even be in the senate anymore.  Though, hey, if Romney ends up nominee in 2012, what's to stop Brown in 2016 from also saying, "Holy cow!  I just discovered I want to be presid- er, I mean, I just discovered that life begins at conception."?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2010, 06:56:50 PM »

Democratic senators most likely to be president: Kirsten Gillibrand or Kay Hagan

Republican senators most likely to be president: John Thune

I'm not even sure that Gillibrand would win her re-election, but she seems okay since she's from the district next to me.  

I know, but I was just listing who was in the Senate at the moment who might become president. If Gillibrand does win reelection, which is probably more likely than the reelection of alot of other senators at the moment, she might run for president in the future.(Most likely either in 2016 or 2020.)

But really, I think the most likely Democratic senator to one day become president hasn't even been elected to the Senate yet, since Obama wasn't elected to the Senate until 2004, and it only took 4 years in the Senate to get elected president.

Exactomundo:

Who is that??

I think...

Thune, Warner, Feingold (perhaps).
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2010, 08:29:08 PM »

Democratic senators most likely to be president: Kirsten Gillibrand or Kay Hagan

Republican senators most likely to be president: John Thune

I'm not even sure that Gillibrand would win her re-election, but she seems okay since she's from the district next to me.  

I know, but I was just listing who was in the Senate at the moment who might become president. If Gillibrand does win reelection, which is probably more likely than the reelection of alot of other senators at the moment, she might run for president in the future.(Most likely either in 2016 or 2020.)

But really, I think the most likely Democratic senator to one day become president hasn't even been elected to the Senate yet, since Obama wasn't elected to the Senate until 2004, and it only took 4 years in the Senate to get elected president.

Exactomundo:

Who is that??

I think...

Thune, Warner, Feingold (perhaps).

That is Joe Sestak.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2010, 02:02:18 AM »

Sestak-Specter primary is next month.  It'll probably be tough for Sestak to close the gap.  Even if he falls short, I thank him for pushing Specter to the Left for a while.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2010, 04:12:42 PM »

I'd probably say Kay Hagan, Tom Udall, Thune, or for some reason Burr springs to mind.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2010, 04:37:24 PM »

Harry Reid.
yougo1000
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2010, 04:49:56 PM »