Congressional reapportionment over time - charts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:10:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Congressional reapportionment over time - charts
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Congressional reapportionment over time - charts  (Read 4290 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 16, 2010, 03:26:30 PM »

I've plotted a pair of charts showing the congressional reapportionment trends by region.

The regions, like the reapportionments themselves, are determined by the Census Bureau.

Region Map

Regional Apportionment of House Seats Over Time

Regional Apportionment Percentage Over Time

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 02:14:28 AM »

Very interesting (though nothing too surprising in the data).

Probably the biggest would be that the Northeast hasn't lost nearly as much representation proportionally speaking in the last 100 years as I'd have thought (the Midwest seems to have lost more), and that the South hasn't gained nearly as much as thought (the West gaining far more, though of course the West as we know it now basically didn't exist for the first 70 years or so of our country's history).
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 03:24:43 AM »

Probably the biggest would be that the Northeast hasn't lost nearly as much representation proportionally speaking in the last 100 years as I'd have thought (the Midwest seems to have lost more), and that the South hasn't gained nearly as much as thought (the West gaining far more, though of course the West as we know it now basically didn't exist for the first 70 years or so of our country's history).

The West's gains can almost exclusively be attributed to California.  Over the last 100 years the California congressional delegation has grown by approximately 500% and the state population has grown by double digit percentages every decade since statehood in 1850.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 03:48:46 AM »

I found it interesting, though I didn't really have much to say.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 03:50:10 AM »

The West's gains can almost exclusively be attributed to California.  Over the last 100 years the California congressional delegation has grown by approximately 500% and the state population has grown by double digit percentages every decade since statehood in 1850.

California is likely to either remain unchanged or lose a seat this year. It doesn't seem to be growing faster than the national average anymore.

I hope Rhode Island doesn't lose its 2nd seat.

I'll never understand how the South was able to get away with blocking re-apportionment in 1920.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 07:37:06 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2010, 07:59:16 AM by memphis »

Not ony has the South not grown much, nearly all growth has been in FL and TX. Outside of a few other hotspots (metro Atlanta, DC) the South has declined substantially. To me, the real story in the graphs in the growth of the West.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 08:40:50 AM »

I spent over an hour putting these together, and I get one inane, semi-useless response?  Sad
You spent over an hour putting together some inane, semi-useless graphs featuring only common knowledge, and then you have the cheek to complain?

*shakes head in wonder*
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 10:03:29 AM »

I spent over an hour putting these together, and I get one inane, semi-useless response?  Sad
You spent over an hour putting together some inane, semi-useless graphs featuring only common knowledge, and then you have the cheek to complain?

*shakes head in wonder*

You can be a real dick sometimes.  Most times, in fact.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 10:13:24 AM »

*shakes head in wonder*

You can be a real dick sometimes.  Most times, in fact.

It has been a pleasure to serve you. Smiley
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 11:00:19 PM »

And still, the size has remained the same since the 1920s.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 02:26:40 AM »

They really should have made the Hawaii/Alaska expansion permanent.  Not that it would make a huge difference but reverting back to 435 seems so silly.  Whats so magically about 435?  I understand the "mathematical allure" of having 100 Senators but whats so special about having 435 Representatives?  500 seems a much better number to me.  Maybe it will be reevaluated if/when Puerto Rico becomes a state.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 10:47:04 PM »

They really should have made the Hawaii/Alaska expansion permanent.  Not that it would make a huge difference but reverting back to 435 seems so silly.  Whats so magically about 435?  I understand the "mathematical allure" of having 100 Senators but whats so special about having 435 Representatives?  500 seems a much better number to me.  Maybe it will be reevaluated if/when Puerto Rico becomes a state.

We have 435 representatives because in the 1920s, the newly-elected Republican majority was wary about reapportioning the House.  They were required to increase it's size three years after the Census of 1920, but they didn't.  And in 1929 they froze the size of the House.

Five hundred would not be enough.  We need at least twice as many Congressmen as we do today.
true liberty
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 11:20:13 PM »

maybe we should use some kind of proportional representation so that third parties can finally get some seats.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 11:24:36 PM »

maybe we should use some kind of proportional representation so that third parties can finally get some seats.

Yes, but that would mean all of a state's representatives would focus towards getting money for that state's major cities while ignoring that state's small towns and rural areas.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 12:40:23 AM »

Yes, but that would mean all of a state's representatives would focus towards getting money for that state's major cities while ignoring that state's small towns and rural areas.

Not true.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 01:56:05 AM »

The point is that PR would give those small towns and rural areas representation, regardless of where the money is.  Hence, proportional representation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies