The Winds of Change
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 04:01:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Winds of Change
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Winds of Change  (Read 4847 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 16, 2010, 03:47:16 PM »
« edited: February 16, 2010, 03:49:47 PM by Barnes »

Part One: The 1960 Presidential Election

The Democratic Convention
On July 11, the Democrats met in Los Angles, California to nominate a Presidential ticket.  Senator John F. Kennedy (Mass.) was the front runner, however, Senate Majority Leader, Lyndon B. Johnson (Texas) was close behind.  Johnson was able to keep Kennedy from winning on the first ballot at the convention, and for the first time since 1952, the vote would go to a second ballot.  Johnson tried to make a huge push to block Kennedy and was able to win over the Southern and Midwestern Delegates, this was opposed to Kennedy's Northern and Far Western Delegates.  When the roll call started, the vote was very close, but, by a razor thin margin, thanks to the Wyoming delegation, Lyndon Johnson was the Democratic nominee for President.

The Kennedy Camp was stunned, they thought they had the race in the bag before the convention even opened, but now they had lost to a man they detested.  Kennedy didn't give a concession speech, but instead went back to his hotel suite and thought over the situation with his brothers, Bobby and Ted.  At about five o' clock, the phone rang, and Bobby answered.

"It's Johnson," he said to an attentive JFK, "he wants to ask you to be on the ticket."
Kennedy sat and thought for a moment, and then, in his crisp Boston accent said,
"Tell him no.  I don't want to play second-fiddle to Lyndon Johnson, or anyone else, for that mater."

Johnson knew Kennedy wouldn't accept, but he was shocked at just how opposed he had become to the nominee.  Johnson's next attempt at a running mate was Senator Hubert H. Humphrey (Minn.).  He called HHH at around six o' clock, and Humphrey came back with a "No" about ten minutes later.  Finally, Johnson was able to convince Senator Stuart Symington of Missouri to accept the V.P. Slot. 

Johnson announced Symington as his choice at about 8:30 pm and the Convention unanimously confirmed him via voice vote a few minutes later.

In Johnson's acceptance speech, he danced around the issue of civil rights, mostly out of fear of angering the southern delegation, this angered many African Americans who awaited the Republican Convention to see their stance on the issue.

Soon after his speech, a new poll was released:
Republican Candidate: 50%
Johnson/Symington: 43%
Undecided: 7%

With the Convention finished, Johnson and Symington set out across the country in hopes of revitalizing the ticket's prospects.

Supporters of Johnson cheer at his nomination victory.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 03:48:36 PM »

I'll be reading. Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 03:52:08 PM »

Go LBJ! Cheesy
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 04:01:17 PM »

I'm assuming this timeline doesn't feature Harold MacMillan.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 04:03:29 PM »

I'm assuming this timeline doesn't feature Harold MacMillan.

Alas, no. Smiley

However, I thought of the title totally by myself. Smiley

And thanks, guys, for your support. I think you're going to be shocked by what happens next. Wink
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 05:16:38 PM »

The Republican Convention
A week later, the Republican Convention kicked off in Chicago, Illinois.  The race was between Vice President Richard Nixon of California, and Governor Nelson Rockefeller of New York.  Nixon had thought that Rockefeller would drop out before the Convention started, to preserve party unity, however, Rocky thought he could still win, and stayed in the race.

The first three ballots yielded no results, with both candidates coming close to the required delegate amounts.  After the third ballot, the convention recessed for the night, and a campaign to draft a candidate started.  The campaign was led by the candidate, herself.  That candidate was Senator Margaret Chase Smith.

The next day, the fourth ballot started, and to the shock of the other two candidates, Senator Smith had over five hundred delegates.  These votes had come almost equally from Nixon and Rockefeller.  The next ballot also didn't produce a nominee, however, the tide was turning in Senator Smith's favor.  By the sixth ballot, Rockefeller was in third behind Smith, and he finally dropped out.  A few minutes later, he endorsed Senator Smith.  The Convention was in shock, with those delegates, she had gone over the top.  This was proven on the seventh ballot when she beat Vice President Nixon by a fairly large margin.

The country was in shock, the Republicans had nominated the first woman for the Presidency of the United States.  They were also amazed by Margaret Smith's ability to capture the nomination form two seemingly unbeatable opponents.  Others, however, were worried how Smith's gender would play in the campaign.

She addressed this issue immediately and head-on:

"My fellow Republicans, some have brought concerns about the issue of my gender in this race.  I tell you now, this will be a non-issue for me.  I am not running for President to be the first woman President, I am running to be President for all the people.  I challenge Mr. Johnson now, if he is man enough to accept, to participate in live national debates on television and radio.

Because I am a woman does not mean I am a weak leader.  No, women are usually more level-headed than men, and that's the kind of person we need in the White House, NOT a wild, uncontrollable, man named Lyndon Baines Johnson!"

She was met with tremendous applause.

The next afternoon, Senator Smith announced her choice for Vice president, Senate Minority Leader, Everett Dirksen, of Illinois.

She also received very warm endorsements from President Eisenhower, Vice President Nixon, and Governor Rockefeller, all calling her "the best candidate to lead our nation".

The Convention closed with Senator Smith giving a rousing acceptance speech, talking of the great success of the Eisenhower Administration, and saying that best way forward is by voting Republican.

The ticket left the convention hoping to use their momentum as a weapon against Johnson.

Senator Smith defending herself as a female candidate.
petedewolfe
Rookie
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 06:03:32 PM »

As will I.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 06:14:26 PM »

Was Smith a liberal Republicans (like Ike, Nixon, Dewey, Ford, and Rockefeller)? If so, Go Smith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 06:16:22 PM »

Was Smith a liberal Republicans (like Ike, Nixon, Dewey, Ford, and Rockefeller)? If so, Go Smith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She was fairly Moderate, like the other Moderate Republicans.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 06:21:11 PM »

You mean like the ones I mentioned above? Because a moderate/liberal Republican between the 1950s and 1970s is much different from a moderate/liberal Republican today.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 06:21:48 PM »

BTW, did you do this timeline in response to my post?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 06:23:07 PM »

You mean like the ones I mentioned above? Because a moderate/liberal Republican between the 1950s and 1970s is much different from a moderate/liberal Republican today.

Yes, she's fairly like the ones you listed.

Well, I got part of my idea from it, but I've really been wanting to do a TL for the '60s. Smiley

Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 10:19:29 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2010, 10:33:11 PM by President Al Gore »

Yes, she's fairly like the ones you listed.

Well, I got part of my idea from it, but I've really been wanting to do a TL for the '60s. Smiley

Good to hear. I'd be OK if either Smith or LBJ won, though. Good thing JFK isn't running.
Electric Feel
ElectricFeel
Rookie
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -0.06, S: -5.13

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 10:23:12 PM »

Wow, Tricky Dick got snubbed. Smiley
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 10:56:33 PM »

HHH would have jumped at the chance to be the running mate.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 11:52:02 PM »

August 1960
At the beginning of August, a new national poll was released:
Smith/Dirksen: 46% - 157 electoral votes
Johnson/Symington: 44% - 147 electoral votes
Undecided: 10% - 233 electoral votes

The most important message from the polls was the large amount of Americans undecided over who they were going to vote for.

Smith kicked off the month campaigning in California with Vice President Nixon.  Meanwhile, Senator Dirksen traveled to Virginia and Maryland and met with President Eisenhower at a photo-op in Pennsylvania.

On the Democratic side, Johnson traveled to New York and then to New Jersey, in both states, he tried to convince Kennedy to campaign with him, and both times Kennedy came up with some excuse to skip the rallies.  In reality, Kennedy was very unhappy with JBJ as the nominee  and some in his inner circle were even hinting that he was going to vote for Smith.

Senator Symington spent his time campaigning in Michigan and Minnesota.

On August 9th, a new poll about the president's popularity was released:
Approve: 63%
Disapprove: 24%
Undecided: 12%

Senator Smith immediately capitalized on the Administration's popularity and spoke of continuing the success and progress of the Eisenhower years.  Knowing she would have to appeal to the big city populations to win states like New York and Pennsylvania, she started speaking about her support of civil rights legislation.  Of course, she lost support in the south, but she knew she wouldn't win there anyway.  Johnson, on the other hand, was still afraid he would loose the support of the Southern vote, and decided to not talk about Civil Rights.  The message became clear to the African American community: Smith supports us; Johnson doesn't.

On August 23rd, Governor Rockefeller and Vice President Nixon both attended a huge rally in New York City for Senator Smith.  During his speech, Rockefeller ignored Nixon, who was seated right next to him, later, newspaper photographers released a photo which clearly showed Tricky Dick giving Rocky the finger, complete with his trademark grin.  The media had a field day with the photo, and soon talk of Republican disunity started to spread.

All in all, August favored Smith.  However, September would bring the beginning of the first televised Presidential Debates in the country's history.

Senator Johnson giving a speech about lowering taxes.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 09:35:47 PM »

I'm willing to continue this. It's, by far, the timeline I enjoyed writing the most. Would anyone be interested?
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 09:42:38 PM »

I would! Cheesy
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 12:54:19 AM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 06:31:24 PM »

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 06:45:30 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2010, 06:58:47 PM by Barnes »

September 1960
With a new month came a new poll, this one clearly showing Smith with a lead. It was narrow, but it was a lead.
Smith/Dirksen: 47% - 227 electoral votes
Johnson/Symington: 44% - 180 electoral votes
Undecided: 9% - 130 electoral votes

Johnson realized that he had to kick his campaign into overdrive to try and win outside of the south. First, he traveled to California and bombarded the state on a six-day campaign tour with Senator Clair Engle (D). Smith counter attacked by sending Vice President Nixon throughout the the state. Nixon wasn't very pleased with the assignment and mainly focused on the success of the Eisenhower Administration. He also would sneak in compliments to himself, testing the waters for a future run as Governor or Senator.

Johnson at a desperate rally in California.

LBJ also new that he was in big trouble in the Northeast. He had to at least win Pennsylvania, and he needed to take Massachusetts and Rhode Island. He could only take those two if John F. Kennedy helped him. However, Kennedy was still in denial that he lost the nomination to Johnson. Finally, enough pressure was put on JFK and he started to stump for Johnson.

On September 26, the most crucial phase of the election began: the televised debates. Smith and Johnson had been prepping for weeks for the first presidential debates in U.S. history. Smith knew that this would be the make or break for her candidacy, if she came off too "feminine" she would turn away male voters, and, in turn, their wives. If she appeared too "masculine", she would also turn away the same voters.

The first historic, live debate would be focused on domestic policy. At the beginning, Johnson seemed to be stealing the show, using his old Senate techniques at his advantage. However, Smith soon turned the tables and started to attack Johnson as being soft on Civil Rights, and only concerned with getting elected. Johnson, still afraid of loosing the south, was unable to rebuke, and found himself being on the defensive the rest of the debate.

By the next morning it had become clear that Smith won the debate.

"Senator Johnson is neither for nor against Civil Rights, he's merely for winning."
hantheguitarman

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 06:49:41 PM »

Go Smith!
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 08:51:18 PM »

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 10:02:29 PM »

October and November 1960
As Summer turned to Fall, the two things heating up in America were home furnaces and the Presidential election. With the election a month away, and three debates to go, the two campaigns kicked it into high gear.

Smith first traveled to Pennsylvania and Michigan. There, she reminded voters of the good economy under Eisenhower, and in the large urban areas, she restated her unequivocal support for Civil Rights. Minority Leader Dirksen traveled to Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Johnson went to New England and finally campaigned with Senator Kennedy, hitting New York, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island. Senator Symington went to Oklahoma (where Johnson had a very good chance of winning) and New Mexico.

The second debate was focused on foreign affairs and, while Smith exhibited knowledge of foreign affairs, Johnson voiced many voters' concerns that Smith, as a woman, wouldn't be taken seriously by foreign leaders. Johnson was seen as the winner.

The third debate was focused on the economy and foreign policy, with Smith once again reminding voters of the good economy. However, Johnson once again voiced his concerns about Smith. Johnson was seen as the winner by a small margin.

The fourth, and final, debate was focused only on Civil Rights. Smith shined throughout the entire night, and was seen as the clear winner. This gave her a much needed push in the polls.

With a week left before the election, the candidates made a last minute blitz of the country. On November 7, a final poll was released:

Smith/Dirksen: 47%
Johnson/Symington: 45%
Undecided: 8%

In the final twenty-four hours, Smith hit California, Nevada, and New York. Dirksen went to Minnesota, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. Johnson hit California, with Symington spending his time in New England with Senator Kennedy.

Election Night, November 8, 1960

As the results started to come in Smith had a large lead, but as results came in from the South, the candidates stated to even out. By Midnight, there was still no declared winner. The real shock of the night came when California was called, albeit by a narrow margin, for Senator Johnson. This was soon followed by Nevada. This gave new life to the Johnson HQ, however, the election would hinge on two states: Michigan and Pennsylvania. Johnson held on to hope as both states showed him with a small lead, however, as the morning broke, the large cities began to report. Because of overwhelming African-American support in large urban areas, Michigan was called for Senator Smith at 5:50 AM. Margaret Chase Smith had been elected the first woman President of the United States. Pennsylvania would follow an hour later.

Johnson making his concession call to President-elect Smith.

Margaret Chase Smith/Everett Dirksen: 302 electoral votes, 52.1% of the popular vote
Lyndon Baynes Johnson/Stuart Symington: 235 electoral votes, 47.9% of the popular vote

The 87th Congress

House of Representatives
Democrats - 253 seats (-30)
Republicans - 184 seats (+31)
Independent - 0 seats (-1)

Senate
Democrats - 62 seats (-3)
Republicans - 38 seats (+3)
hantheguitarman

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 10:29:13 PM »

Keep it coming! Smiley I wonder how LBJ, as Senate Majority Leader, will work with Smith.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies