The victimisation of Sarah Palin (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:28:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The victimisation of Sarah Palin (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The victimisation of Sarah Palin  (Read 2063 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: February 19, 2010, 01:30:07 PM »

The actress who voiced the role has Down's Syndrome and is really unhappy with Sarah Palin for twisting this around.

"In my family we think laughing is good. My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life. My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes."

Full interview here.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/18/family-guy-voice-actor-says-palin-does-not-have-a-sense-of-humor/?src=twr
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 01:42:35 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2010, 01:45:28 PM by brittain33 »

Exactly, let's see some trashy humor against Sasha and Malia,

Let's break down the offensiveness of this trashy humor.

The essence of the joke is that Sarah Palin has a child with Down's Syndrome.

That's it.

Which, if Sarah Palin were keeping Trig's life completely private and we felt having a Down's Syndrome child was something to be ashamed of, and that a teenage girl on a cartoon could be confused with an infant boy with a different name, would be an invasion of privacy.

As the actress who played the role pointed out, Sarah Palin goes beyond being proud of her son to using him as a political prop and, in fact, exploiting him to get political credibility on an issue (care for special needs children) where she doesn't actually follow through. It's very similar to how she talks about her husband's union membership when talking to union members--while actually opposing union legislation. It's politics by identity and it's actually pretty damn insulting to people who are dealing with the challenge of special needs children, running out of money, running out of sanity, and facing government cutbacks of the kind Palin thinks are important. To be frank, Palin has yet to learn anything about what it's like to be the parent of a special needs child beyond the initial acceptance of a different future for her child. She certainly will learn, and she has my respect for that, but so far she seems most interested in what Trig can do for her rather than what she will do for Trig.

You don't know why this is "trashy humor," you can't back up that Sarah Palin is a victim, when she laps up victimhood like mother's milk. If she weren't a victim, yelling it loud and clear, she wouldn't be anything at all. That's the only trashy humor here.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 02:25:03 PM »

However, let's put yourselves in the place of someone who has a relative with down syndrome.

Similarly, you shouldn't presume that we don't. 
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 03:15:52 PM »

The voice actress who played the teenage girl with down syndrome also has down syndrome...

Sigh.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies