Do vaccines cause autism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:56:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do vaccines cause autism?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See above
Yes (Jenny McCarthy)

No (Intelligent person)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Do vaccines cause autism?  (Read 5334 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 16, 2010, 10:45:09 PM »

I cannot believe that that old idiotic canard is still out there!  That horrid woman and the gullible people that listen to her are ruining herd immunity and ensuring that their own children aren't getting the protection they need!
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 10:52:19 PM »

That's not very fair.  There's far more to the issue than that and she's done her homework.  She's suggesting that vaccines be developed and administered more safely to prevent autism and several other issues that correlate at extreme levels.  She could be wrong, but no one has proven it.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 11:43:40 PM »

Polls with editorial commentary seem to be catching on around here. Is this one wave you really want to ride Mikado? Smiley
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 11:47:19 PM »

Polls with editorial commentary seem to be catching on around here. Is this one wave you really want to ride Mikado? Smiley

Absolutely.  Call me Frank Luntz, the new generation.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 12:19:58 AM »

That's not very fair.  There's far more to the issue than that and she's done her homework.  She's suggesting that vaccines be developed and administered more safely to prevent autism and several other issues that correlate at extreme levels.  She could be wrong, but no one has proven it.
You do realize that the initial "study" of twelve children that started the whole MMR vaccine scare has been shown to be falsified by a hack scientist working for trial lawyers.  There have been multiple studies done since then and they all show no evidence of correlation between being autism and receiving the MMR vaccine.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 12:20:42 AM »

No.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 12:49:23 AM »

No. Pure nonsense and psuedoscience.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 01:30:27 AM »

Of course not. The journal that published the bad study recently retracted it.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010/02/lancet_wakefield_autism_mmr_au.html
Also, having been spared first hand contact with deadly contagious diseases, many people, even many of those who support vaccines, don't appreciate what how important vaccines are.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 01:42:06 AM »

Actually, I wasn't aware the study had been retracted.  What a mess.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 01:50:39 AM »

No, as far as I know.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 06:01:12 AM »

Ah, this nonsense. Its interesting to compare measles rates wi' little children before and after the Wakefield scum (with his powerful allies in the tabloid press) made his nasty, stupid claims.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 07:51:55 AM »

No (not retarded).
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 07:58:40 AM »

Ah, this nonsense. Its interesting to compare measles rates wi' little children before and after the Wakefield scum (with his powerful allies in the tabloid press) made his nasty, stupid claims.

It's also interesting to note that some kids not getting vaccinated increases the odds of kids with less gullible parents getting diseases like that anyway.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 10:02:50 AM »

Not just "infection"... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/4871728.stm.

You do realize that the initial "study" of twelve children that started the whole MMR vaccine scare has been shown to be falsified by a hack scientist working for trial lawyers.  There have been multiple studies done since then and they all show no evidence of correlation between being autism and receiving the MMR vaccine.

Not only that... The study was originally based on looking at bowel syndrome not autism (though most - all(?) of the twelve kids - awesome sample size - were somewhat autistic).
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 11:02:55 AM »

I was told that there is a preservative sometimes used in vaccines and that this preservative contains mercury which causes autism. Vaccines that used a different preservative would not cause autism.

Someone I work with knows someone personally whose child was vaccinated and ended up with autism. A test revealed that the child had abnormally high levels of mercury in his system. It was removed and the child improved though I don't think it was a complete recovery.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 12:52:46 PM »

I was told that there is a preservative sometimes used in vaccines and that this preservative contains mercury which causes autism. Vaccines that used a different preservative would not cause autism.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Concerns/Autism/Index.html

tl;dr

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 02:14:41 PM »

Having exhausted the thimerosal issue, I don't really think the anti-vaccine people have much going for them.  I don't totally love the idea of mandatory vaccination -- these are advanced processes that we'll never completely understand all the potential angles of -- but I love it a lot more than the results of not vaccinating.  My sympathy only goes so far on this one, and it doesn't extend to pseudoscientific bullsh**t.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 09:13:46 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2010, 09:16:56 PM by Torie »

Having exhausted the thimerosal issue, I don't really think the anti-vaccine people have much going for them.  I don't totally love the idea of mandatory vaccination -- these are advanced processes that we'll never completely understand all the potential angles of -- but I love it a lot more than the results of not vaccinating.  My sympathy only goes so far on this one, and it doesn't extend to pseudoscientific bullsh**t.

If some disease is dangerous enough as a contagion, it is either mandatory vaccinations or mandatory quarantine. The latter of course would be hideously expensive, so that leads to the former being put in place, if the need is compelling enough. Nutters cannot be allowed to infect us all.

By the way, the laws when it comes to tuberculous when diagnosed are quite Draconian, as it is now. I know that now from personal experience with a client, who had the "honor" of being the first white woman to be diagnosed with the disease in Newport Beach in a very, very long time. No deviations from the legal mandatory protocol were going to be tolerated at all, and were not.
KeeptheChange
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 09:18:47 PM »

I honestly don't know.  But it's criminal that the government forces parents in many places to vaccinate their children.  No one knows like parents what is best for their kids.  Certainly not big brother.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 10:44:48 PM »

I honestly don't know.  But it's criminal that the government forces parents in many places to vaccinate their children.  No one knows like parents what is best for their kids.  Certainly not big brother.

I can't get with this parental relativism deal.  No one knows what's best for parents?  If any of those parents can sit me, or Big Brother, or whomever down, and explain how the costs or risks associated with vaccination outweigh the costs or risks associated with susceptibility.  As much as their right to swing their fist ends at my face, it ends at their kids' face too, and whatever goes from their kids' face into other kids' bloodstreams.  Parental proxy rights are responsibilities, too.  If they can't rationally justify the risks they take, and there is any sort of reasonable governmental enforcement mechanism, I don't see what the objection is.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 11:13:05 AM »

What bollocks.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 05:25:20 PM »

No no no no no no no no and no....
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 05:25:47 PM »

No, duh.

Also, JSojourner really ought to try harder when trolling libertarians.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies