Boehner: Obama "slapped table", scolded me at White House meeting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:03:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Boehner: Obama "slapped table", scolded me at White House meeting
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Boehner: Obama "slapped table", scolded me at White House meeting  (Read 1818 times)
DariusNJ

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2010, 07:35:57 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/18/boehner-obama-slapped-tab_n_467869.html

"I was in the White House for a meeting a few weeks back," Boehner recalled. "We were talking about the economy and jobs and I was explaining that these Democrat policies, you know -- cap and trade, national energy tax, government takeover of our health care system, card check, higher tax rates -- all of this was paralyzing business owners because they had all of this uncertainty. And you know no small business owners can plan, invest or hire new workers in this kind of environment.

"But the president didn't like it," he added. "He looked at me and he slapped the table and said, 'Boehner, it's not my policies that are paralyzing these employers. It's you Republicans who are scaring them.'

"I said, 'Mr. President, the American people aren't scared about what we have to say. They're scared by the policies that are being promoted by your administration and your colleagues up on the Hill.' I told him, 'well here is the thing, the American people want leaders who will listen they don't need any more lecturers coming to Washington."

If only there was a video of this!
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 07:39:31 PM »

Obama was afraid to actually slap Boehner because he might get the orange on him.  So he slapped the table.

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 08:16:36 PM »

A classic example of the bitter divide in Washington.  It seems the politicians talk to the American people about working with the other side, but they never talk to each other about it.  I put blame on both Obama and Boehner for this, neither of them said anything about compromising.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 09:52:51 PM »

Boehner probably pissed his pants.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 09:56:54 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's nice and all, but why on earth were the President and House Minority Leader discussing domestic affairs in Thailand?  Don't they have more important things to concern themselves with, you know, here?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 10:13:06 PM »

Obama made a mistake here. What he did I consider, well, immature.  He of course does not do this in front of the cameras, and certainly did not do it in his session that was televised with House Republicans. In any event, if his game plan is try to demonize the opposition party, it will be a massive failure in my opinion. It will reduce his support to his own partisans. Clinton never did this sort of thing. At most when he got down on the opposition party, it was more in sorrow than in anger, and that is far more effective.

By the way if I have time, I am going to put up a rather serious post as to why having learned a bit more, I think the Democratic health care plan is fatally flawed, both practically, and politically.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 10:18:35 PM »

Obama made a mistake here. What he did I consider, well, immature.  He of course does not do this in front of the cameras, and certainly did not do it in his session that was televised with House Republicans. In any event, if his game plan is try to demonize the opposition party, it will be a massive failure in my opinion. It will reduce his support to his own partisans. Clinton never did this sort of thing. At most when he got down on the opposition party, it was more in sorrow than in anger, and that is far more effective.

By the way if I have time, I am going to put up a rather serious post as to why having learned a bit more, I think the Democratic health care plan is fatally flawed, both practically, and politically.

Rumor has it that Obama, for a politician at least, has thin skin. Stuff like this does not help him get house Republicans on his side (nor voters, as you said, Torie). Really, he should develop strong and positive working relationships with the house minority leadership, which he can then use to his advantage.

As for the healthcare plan, I'm looking forward to your post.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 10:21:09 PM »

If I were Obama, I would barely find it possible to even entertain the thought of having a cordial conversation with someone who is purposely and ruthlessly exploiting the racism of a solid minority of Americans for political purposes.

Here is a guy who benefits when more people are convinced that Obama got into office with the aid of a fake birth certificate.  I can only hope he did piss his pants out of fear and guilt after speaking with the President.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 10:33:31 PM »

If I were Obama, I would barely find it possible to even entertain the thought of having a cordial conversation with someone who is purposely and ruthlessly exploiting the racism of a solid minority of Americans for political purposes.

Here is a guy who benefits when more people are convinced that Obama got into office with the aid of a fake birth certificate.  I can only hope he did piss his pants out of fear and guilt after speaking with the President.

Wouldn't Obama being nice and cordial catch Boehner off guard? Really, it would just make Boehner look like a jerk.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 10:39:52 PM »

Is this a good time to point out that we're basing this whole discussion on the testimony of one (highly partisan) individual?  Read through his comments again, and hopefully you'll see that it reads exactly like somebody who just came out of an argument and is trying to revise the incident in a way that makes himself look better.  It's a playground tactic, once again.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 10:51:42 PM »

I can't help but notice how similar his name is to "Boner."
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 10:57:44 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's nice and all, but why on earth were the President and House Minority Leader discussing domestic affairs in Thailand?  Don't they have more important things to concern themselves with, you know, here?

I guess Boner would enjoy Bangkok.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 11:06:04 PM »

Is this a good time to point out that we're basing this whole discussion on the testimony of one (highly partisan) individual?  Read through his comments again, and hopefully you'll see that it reads exactly like somebody who just came out of an argument and is trying to revise the incident in a way that makes himself look better.  It's a playground tactic, once again.

You think the GOP leader just made all of this up?  Do you think he is really smart and creative enough, and dishonest, enough, to do that? I suspect it did happen, and it was eating away at the B man, and he finally let loose. I have been in that spot myself. Anyway, I guess we can wait for Obama's side of the story, or lack thereof.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 11:11:29 PM »

I never said he made it all up.

How many times have you had an altercation with someone, and when asked about it later by someone who wasn't there, distorted the events slightly to make a probable draw (or even a victory for the other side) seem more like a win for yourself?  We've all done it.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 11:20:02 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2010, 12:07:51 AM by jmfcst »

"I was in the White House for a meeting a few weeks back," Boehner recalled. "We were talking about the economy and jobs and I was explaining that these Democrat policies, you know -- cap and trade, national energy tax, government takeover of our health care system, card check, higher tax rates -- all of this was paralyzing business owners because they had all of this uncertainty. And you know no small business owners can plan, invest or hire new workers in this kind of environment.

"But the president didn't like it," he added. "He looked at me and he slapped the table and said, 'Boehner, it's not my policies that are paralyzing these employers. It's you Republicans who are scaring them.'

"I said, 'Mr. President, the American people aren't scared about what we have to say. They're scared by the policies that are being promoted by your administration and your colleagues up on the Hill.' I told him, 'well here is the thing, the American people want leaders who will listen they don't need any more lecturers coming to Washington."

1) I choose not to believe Boehner’s version of events (and it should be noted that I know nothing of Boehner and a search of my posts on this forum shows I have never mentioned his name)…

2) …because if this is true, we are in serious trouble, for every thing Boehner said has been echoed in business survey after business survey.  If this version of events is true, then Obama, who has never run a for-profit business, is arrogant enough to believe he knows more about what is impacting the cost of doing business than the very business leaders themselves!!!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 11:21:32 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2010, 12:13:00 AM by Torie »

How many times have you had an altercation with someone, and when asked about it later by someone who wasn't there, distorted the events slightly to make a probable draw (or even a victory for the other side) seem more like a win for yourself?  We've all done it.

Sure it is tough to be objective about who did what to whom in an emotional confrontation. In my professional life, when I get emotional vis a vis the opposition, it is an act done with calculation. Just indulging my emotions, without calculation, would be unprofessional, and dis-serve my client. Heck sometimes I have plotted my contretemps quite carefully in advance, on issues that I think require it. The world is all a stage - sometimes. And the most effective politicians, typically have considerabe acting talents, as do the most effective  lawyers, assuming they have the brains and discipline and knowledge, to have covered and know the facts and the law, and know it cold, with total mastery.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 11:45:26 PM »

How many times have you had an altercation with someone, and when asked about it later by someone who wasn't there, distorted the events slightly to make a probable draw (or even a victory for the other side) seem more like a win for yourself?  We've all done it.

Sure it is tough to be objective about who did what to whom in an emotional confrontation. In my professional life, when I get emotional vis a vis the opposition, it is an act done with calculation. Just indulging my emotions, without calculation, would be unprofessional, and dis-serve my client. Heck sometimes I have plotted my contretemps quite carefully in advance, on issues that I think require it. The world is all a stage - sometimes. And the most effective politicians, typically have considerably acting talents, as do the most effective  lawyers, assuming they have the brains and discipline and knowledge, to have covered and know the facts and the law, and know it cold, with total mastery.

Ever think about writing some sort of book/manual for law students/lawyers about this sort of stuff?  They don't teach this sort of wisdom in law school, at least not in the one I attended.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 01:11:53 AM »

Obama could slap MY table any day of the week.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 01:17:51 AM »

What the heck would have happened if Bill Richardson had been elected president?  That table wouldn't have stood a chance.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 01:22:00 AM »

What the heck would have happened if Bill Richardson had been elected president?  That table wouldn't have stood a chance.

I hope you aren't building off of my innuendo and we're talking about different tables here.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 01:27:41 AM »

I was talking about the unfortunate table in the debate before the NH primary.

But I could add a fart joke if it would help?
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 10:07:19 AM »

obama=arrogent prick
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 10:22:16 AM »

This story is very well crafted to appeal to a certain subset of voters who didn't vote for Obama and feel they are "losing their country" because he is in charge and Michelle is First Lady.

Reminds me of Sen. Chambliss saying Obama had to show "humility" and Rep. Westmoreland calling him "uppity."
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 10:25:24 AM »

Boehner and Cantor need bitch slapped.

MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2010, 11:53:59 AM »

Obama said and did the right thing.   He should have slapped Boehner instead.  This is the Obama I wanna see running things, not the *ussy one we been seeing for the past year. 

Whomever believes that the GOP is willing to work with the president is full of sh**t.   They want nothing more then him to fail because in their minds it gives them a chance to take control in 3 years.  They are the ultimate cooperate whores, who could care less about lower class people in this country.

The republicans right now is the party who would rather win a damn election at the expense of the country.    And for what I don't know.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies