Two white guys on the ticket
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:02:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Two white guys on the ticket
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Next all-male, all-white ticket
Republicans in 2012

Democrats in 2016

Republicans in 2016

D or R in 2020

Never

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Two white guys on the ticket  (Read 1844 times)
Guderian

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2010, 11:25:48 AM »

Before 2008, every major party presidential ticket except Mondale-Ferrero in 1984 consisted of two white guys nominated for President and Vice President. However, in 2008 Obama and Palin were nominated for President and VP by their respective parties, which made me wonder if the all-male, all-white tickets are about to become a thing of the past.

Democrats are definitely less likely to nominate such a ticket again, especially since Obama will almost certainly be nominated again in 2012. Republicans are of course the more white-dominated and more masculine party, however there's enough female and minority talent in GOP to make party's ticket more diverse (Jindal, Rubio, McMorris-Rodgers and unfortunately Palin, to name some of them) in near future, and in distant future, demographic change might make this a near-obligation.

For the sake of this poll, all Hispanics are considered non-white and Janet Napolitano is considered a woman.
milhouse24
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 01:35:29 PM »

Most GOP women are pro-choice, therefore they would not be acceptable on the ticket.

Besides, the GOP would place and emphasis on 2 white males opposing Obama, as a way to appeal to more white male voters, by saying that they care more about their issues, especially if the economy continues to falter.

Obama promised change, but has that really been change for the better, worse, or not at all?  With the Iraq War winding down, voters will be more concerned about who can handle the economic situation, and Republicans can take hold of that issue.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 05:44:17 PM »

2012 Obama-Biden
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 07:29:15 PM »

Before 2008, every major party presidential ticket except Mondale-Ferrero in 1984 consisted of two white guys nominated for President and Vice President. However, in 2008 Obama and Palin were nominated for President and VP by their respective parties, which made me wonder if the all-male, all-white tickets are about to become a thing of the past.

Democrats are definitely less likely to nominate such a ticket again, especially since Obama will almost certainly be nominated again in 2012. Republicans are of course the more white-dominated and more masculine party, however there's enough female and minority talent in GOP to make party's ticket more diverse (Jindal, Rubio, McMorris-Rodgers and unfortunately Palin, to name some of them) in near future, and in distant future, demographic change might make this a near-obligation.

For the sake of this poll, all Hispanics are considered non-white and Janet Napolitano is considered a woman.

LOL at the Napolitano comment. I think it is much more likely then some may think for both parties to do it again. Just because Obama won doesn't mean that somehow is going to stop parties from nominating two White men. After all Ferraro didn't make it happen, and Obama won't necessarily either. Can we all please stop thinking of diversity in terms of skin color already. So what if there are two white guys running, they could be from different personal backgrounds, different professions, different regions, different religions. Diversity needs to stop being thought of through a narrow scope of skin color. It isn't in the nation's best interest to not nominate or nominate a ticket just because a member has certain genitalia, a certain skin color, or a certain last name.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 07:49:30 PM »

GOP in 2012. I think both parties will have tickets with two white males in the future, though both parties having white males on both slots on the ticket simaultenously will be rarer.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 07:51:25 PM »

GOP in 2012. I think both parties will have tickets with two white males in the future, though both parties having white males on both slots on the ticket simaultenously will be rarer.

I don't think the GOP will in 2012, they will probably have another woman on the ticket, and no it will not be Sarah Palin.
milhouse24
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 07:59:04 PM »

I don't think the GOP will in 2012, they will probably have another woman on the ticket, and no it will not be Sarah Palin.

Do you think that their are pro-life women in the GOP, there are certainly a few pro-choice women in the GOP esp in the Senate.  Only pro-lifers get on the ticket.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 08:03:54 PM »

Do you think that their are pro-life women in the GOP, there are certainly a few pro-choice women in the GOP esp in the Senate.  Only pro-lifers get on the ticket.

Sarah Palin is pro-life and she is a Republican woman.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 08:19:43 PM »

Well there are a bunch in the house, Hutchison in Senate, possibility some former Governors.
milhouse24
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 08:23:27 PM »

Well there are a bunch in the house, Hutchison in Senate, possibility some former Governors.
Huchison is not pro-life, the other Senate GOP women are all pro-choice.  Palin was the only pro-life women they could find, and they had to go the ends of the earth to find her, lol.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 09:15:19 PM »

Palin/Bachmann 2012! 'Nuff said.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 09:19:26 PM »

I would honestly vote for that ticket. (sarcasm)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 09:23:39 PM »

I would honestly vote for that ticket. (sarcasm)

Hilarious.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 10:59:07 PM »

Good god no. Those two women would do more damage than Goldwater in the election.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 01:01:21 PM »

It's probably going to be 2016.  It's not disputable though; Obama and Hillary made things a lot more open.  I think the two white males ticket will become pretty rare in the future.
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 11:06:55 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2010, 03:19:44 AM by pragmatic liberal »

Most GOP women are pro-choice, therefore they would not be acceptable on the ticket.

Besides, the GOP would place and emphasis on 2 white males opposing Obama, as a way to appeal to more white male voters, by saying that they care more about their issues, especially if the economy continues to falter.

Obama promised change, but has that really been change for the better, worse, or not at all?  With the Iraq War winding down, voters will be more concerned about who can handle the economic situation, and Republicans can take hold of that issue.

Most GOP women politicians WERE pro-life. But most of the up-and-coming Republican women are pro-life. Take a look at the GOP women looking to move into the Senate next year: Sue Lowden, Jane Norton, and Kelly Ayotte. Obviously, all have to first win competitive primaries and the general election. And while all their races lean GOP right now, they're all close enough that one or all could swing to the Dems. But if they win, they could be plausible running mates, even as early as 2012.

I'm less sure about Norton - from what I've seen of her, she seems like a really weak speaker with terrible presence. But Ayotte and Norton, though not outstanding, could prove competent enough.

Being pro-life pro-choice is increasingly rare in the Republican Party, among both men and women. As late as the mid-90s, many Southern Republican men, incl. Bill Frist, Fred Thompson, Johnny Isakson, and John Warner, said they were pro-choice. That's unthinkable today.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 11:34:58 PM »

Being pro-life is increasingly rare in the Republican Party, among both men and women. As late as the mid-90s, many Southern Republican men, incl. Bill Frist, Fred Thompson, Johnny Isakson, and John Warner, said they were pro-choice. That's unthinkable today.

You mean being pro-choice, right?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 11:46:40 PM »

2012 for the GOP, unless Jindal is the VP nominee.  I don't think Palin will be on the ticket again, and I don't think any of the other GOP women or minorities are likely to be on the presidential ticket as early as 2012.  However, two white guys on the ticket will be incredibly rare for the Dems going forward, and incredibly rare for the GOP starting from about 2020.  We saw an explosion in diversity in the Cabinet in the 1990s, and the same thing will happen with VP picks (and to a lesser extent, the presidency) within the next 10 years.

By 2020, it'll be commonly held CW that there's electoral advantage in male-female or female-male presidential tickets, and both parties will have a deep enough bench of female politicians that this could conceivably happen in every election.  And of course, by the middle of the century, racial diversity will be such that all white tickets will be a rarity as well, though enough people will be multiracial that it'll no longer be clear what one means by "white".
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 03:19:14 AM »

Being pro-life is increasingly rare in the Republican Party, among both men and women. As late as the mid-90s, many Southern Republican men, incl. Bill Frist, Fred Thompson, Johnny Isakson, and John Warner, said they were pro-choice. That's unthinkable today.

You mean being pro-choice, right?

Er... yes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies